hunting for a new interface!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulletchuck

Howdy.  i'm finally at a point where I can upgrade from my Motu Traveler into something with better conversion.    I'm trying to not turn this into a gearslutz type thread, but i'm in the market for stuff that is similar in price to the UA Apollo Quad. 

I've had a few friends tell me to look at the following boxes:
Rosetta 800 (used)
Aurora 8 (or 16 if i'm a baller)
Apollo Quad

I'm on a new iMac system, so no PCIe stuff, but i have considered saving a bit more and trying to grab a Symphony I/O with an 8-analog I/O card, though that is kinda at the upper limit of what i'd like to spend. 

boxes like the symphony or Apollo are appealing to me, because they're a 1-stop shop, no need for external monitor controls or anything.  My desk space is pretty limited, hence why I went 51x with all my DIY projects.    I'll probably end up using my Traveler as an 8-channel stand-alone ADAT converter going into whatever new box I get to bring me up to 16 channels of analog i/o.

If you guys have heard some of the projects i've released, I'm primarily doing string/horn arrangements with little tracking of primarily myself.  I'd be mainly using all of the i/o for the outboard gear for mixing/coloring. 

And, if there are any NYC guys who have the symphony/Apollo/Aurora/etc and feel like helpin' a brother out by lettin' him swing thru their studio to hear them, could ya send a PM?  I'd really love to hear myself thru them using my CV4 before I make any decisions.

Are you selling?

Which model is your Traveler?

Have you had any problems with the microphone inputs?

Have you had any problems with the phantom power?

i'm not selling it yet, cuz i might use it as an 8-channel stand-alone ADAT converter going into whatever interface i upgrade to.  Right now i'm just looking for advice from people who own better gear but also have smaller studios like myself.  I've heard the apollo compared to the Ensemble from Apogee.

Several people I know are very happy with their RME Fireface UCX and Babyfaces. I don't use USB, but have been using RME for probably 15 years and it's always my first consideration for interfaces.

Michael

I also use RME for a couple of years now, all good never had a slight prob.

As for the Apollo, it looks like a nice product, and a french website has done a full review on it.

http://en.audiofanzine.com/external-audio-interface/universal-audio/apollo-duo/editorial/reviews/one-small-step-for-men.html

And the french review link, because the file links on the English version doesn't seem to work.

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/carte-son-externe/universal-audio/apollo-duo/editorial/tests/c-est-un-petit-pas-pour-l-homme-studio.html

Whelp!!!

9u6n5u

;D

got a great deal on it!!  Couldn't be happier!

Just a heads up,
I just saw that Antelope audio announced this at AES...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=377123509036811&set=a.259547774127719.62497.144983658917465&type=1&theater

32 IO's @ a list price of 2995.00. W/ their quality reputation that's pretty darn remarkable...potentially.

I have and MH LIO-8 and think highly of it.  Still, this looks pretty promising indeed.

A non-Fbook link would be nice.  The majority of humanity can't see in there. 

I understand firewire is built in to the thunderbolt spec, and is accessed with a breakout connector.  How handy or disruptive that is, I can't say. 

mulletchuck said:
Never heard of Antelope Audio  :-\  Still, I am suuuuuuuper happy with the Symphony I/O

antelope audio comes for the aardvark lineage. Remember aardvark and the arrdsync word clock box? They made that and the company antelope is some how connected to arrdvark

Latest posts

Back