I wonder if this will affect AliExpress:

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The deminimus (<$800) duty exemption has been exploited to support a huge business selling cheap goods. I think they may also get some cheaper postage rate benefits too.

JR

Importing in NZ: if greater than NZD400 (USD254) duties and GST apply. GST is +15%. However, platforms like ebay and aliexpress apply the GST to whatever you purchase, whatever the amount. Mouser, element14, rsonline also apply GST whatever you purchase. For the electronics suppliers, everything is shipped from warehouses in US, UK or Australia, there is nothing kept locally.

I think shein and temu still probably do pretty well here.

I personally would never buy from Temu or Shein but I do buy bits and pieces selectively from aliexpress and alibaba.

It is a crazy world though, I bought some tube mic cable from UK and had it shipped to NZ. The total price (inc. shipping) was a lot cheaper than for the same cable available locally. This is pretty common.

Point is, I still by a lot of of stuff from overseas even with our pretty draconian import rules (which actually don't make sense as we are a pissant tiny country that doesn't have any businesses with stuff in stock locally). I think GST is (among other things) supposed to protect local businesses, however you cannot buy a current production mic pre input or output transformer in this country from a local supplier. We used to make that sort of stuff...

It is admittedly, a lot different here to the U.S. though, you have tonnes of good stuff manufactured locally. The local shipping costs in the US for cinemag, crimson, jensen, edcor, etc are a dream.

Back