Iphone & Ipad Production Centre (IPC)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikb1971

Happy 2011 Everyone...

I just had an idea, and in my post new year's eve buzz I think it is brilliant. It could very well be rubbish, but I love this feeling. What I want to create is a Iphone / Ipad production centre. WTF? That's right: an IPC.

background: I have been writing and producing music since the late eighties. Starting with analogue tape 4 track, to digital but still tape 8 track, to VS 880, to PC + logic / cubase to pc +logic / cubase with external analogue hardware. The last few months I have started to produce music on my Iphone and Ipad, and I love it! Most of the limitations just give me back the joy of making music instead of thinking about what compressor to use for which singer in which part of his/her hormonal cycle.
There are a few limitations however that are pretty annoying. They break down in two categories:

1. hardware sound input / monitoring: although more and more become available, I still can't easily switch between external mic, instrument or line signals between recording. How difficult could it be to build a small mixer that can accommodate these sources, maybe polish them a bit with some iron / eq / comp with decent sound quality and take care of the monitoring of the input and the output?

2. Sound producing and recording. I have found some great almost DAW production programs (I love Nano studio e.g.) There are great guitar amp simulations programs. There are great multitrack recorders. But how to use them together on your Ip/whatever? DON'T! almost anyone (at least me and that is what counts for now) that owns an Ipad already has an Iphone. Why not let them work together in one hardware application: an IPC!

Picture this: a small mixer-like box with 2 (or, why not, more: modular anyone?) Iphone/Ipad cable inputs, a stereo line input, two mic inputs and two instrument inputs. All inputs can be routed to:
- Either through an IEC Module (Iron / EQ / Compressor) to be recorded on one of the two I-whatevers.
- And / or the monitor section for headphones / spreaker output.

Since the Idevices now support some form of midi (e.g. akai synthstation hardware) we could even incorporate some sort of midi input.

The IEC modules are only for the recording channels to save money and space, cause it would be nice to have it more or less portable. Attached I have a first sketch of what Iam thinking.

Would it be possible to build the IEC modules small, little knobs but still high quality?

Iam really looking forward to your ideas and input!

Erik

Attachments

• first sketch.jpg
    first sketch.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 94
Make it Android portable if you can  :D
Many new tablets are android based, not to mention the majority of phone maufacturers are releasing android devices.
Having an iphone for work and a Dell Streak (android) as my personal phone, I have to say I prefer android, and I suspect that more of the market will shift towards android in the coming years.
Just my 50p

hmmm some of our competitors are gaining on us:

http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation49

and even more:

http://www.alesis.com/studiodock

AUDIO INPUTS

* 2x XLR-1/4"
* Individual gain controls
* Phantom power, switchable
* Guitar (high-impedance) switch on Input 2

AUDIO OUTPUTS

* 2x 1/4" Main
* 1/4" TRS Headphone
* Individual level controls

VIDEO OUTPUT

* RCA Composite (requires compatible apps)

CONTROL I/O

* MIDI In (DIN)
* MIDI Out (DIN)
* USB MIDI (Host)
* 1/4" Footswitch (function assigned by apps)

We should be able to do better than that! Decent mic pre's, inserts... Iam thinking I could have the metal work done... just decent balanced ins and out to connect with existing gear? or mix this one with a http://www.alesis.com/imultimix8usb?

ive read about an i-phone app where u plug in a "guitar neck" to the i-phone and strum on the touchscreen just like a guitar!!!
its a very interesting avenue opening up. i think a touch screen is much more user friendly than a mouse and keyboard.

Back