Is my mic capsule damaged or is it a faulty capacitor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yos

Hi Guys!

So one of my large diaphragm condenser microphones (moded Studio Projects C1) exhibits this crackling windy noise after applying phantom power.
Below I you can find a download link to an audio file with the noise.
What do you think? Is it a bad cap or is the capsule damaged?

Greetings!

Link: https://workupload.com/file/kSgaaZLV9vp

I think it is contamination and/or moisture in the high impedance areas of the microphone. Clean everything thoroughly with 99.9% alcohol, if that doesn't help, replace the capsule as a test or install a 50-70pF capacitor instead.
Thanks for this informative response. So I can put a 50-70pF cap instead of the capsule and see if the crackling goeas away, right?
Secondly, I watched a video of a man on youtube, who cleaned capsules of vintage neumanns in destiled water. Then he put the mic under a halogen lamp (basicaly a heat source) and let it dry. Have you heard of it?

Edit: I only have a 90pF cap at hand. Will it do too?

Last edited:
I have limited LDC experience, but I ran into something similar after the mic sat unused in storage. I used a desk lamp pointing downwards, took the headbasket off and set the capsule underneath, using a stand to hold the mic in place. Not too close, iirc it was a 60w old school bulb and a few inches away. After letting it sit overnight, the noise went away. Mind that this is in a low humidity higher altitude environment (Denver). Worth a shot, cheap/free; maybe I got lucky but it worked well.

This should be caused by moisture,If the symptoms are mild, you can try to put it in a moisture-proof box for a period of time. Please note that over-baking may change the tension of the diaphragm, Most damp capsules have internal leakage and cannot be restored, so the capsule or outer skin needs to be replaced , the capacitor itself is consumed.

Last edited:
这应该是受潮导致的,如果症状较轻,可以尝试放进防潮箱里一段时间,请注意过度烘烤可能会改变膜片的张力,大部分受潮的胶囊因为内部漏电无法恢复,除非更换胶囊或外皮,电容器本身是有寿命的。

Even if Chrome (or whatever browser you use) translates what we write into Chinese, it does NOT translate what you write, back into English...

这应该是受潮导致的,如果症状较轻,可以尝试放进防潮箱里一段时间,请注意过度烘烤可能会改变膜片的张力,大部分受潮的胶囊因为内部漏电无法恢复,除非更换胶囊或外皮,电容器本身是有寿命的。
"This should be caused by moisture, if the symptoms are mild, try putting it in a moisture-proof box for a while, please note that overbaking may change the tension of the diaphragm, most damp capsules cannot be recovered because of internal leakage, unless the capsule or the outer skin is replaced, and the capacitor itself has a life span."

My (AI powered) chinese is getting better!🤠

Of course ALL capacitors (electronic parts) have a life span. But in this case:

and the capacitor itself has a life span."

Which specific capacitor are you talking about ?!?
Just curious/trying to understand .

M

Of course ALL capacitors (electronic parts) have a life span. But in this case:

and the capacitor itself has a life span."

Which specific capacitor are you talking about ?!?
Just curious/trying to understand .

M
I guess he (or my translater app 😅 ) means the capsule itself. After all, the capsule is just a capacitor as well

Hail to the curious and the brave.
The most common electronic problem is dirty. connections, so make sure all the connections are clean and oxide free.
When it comes to drying mics it is good to be cautious as heat methods like lamps can be problematic. It would be wiser to bake the mic in a lab or convection (NOT MICROWAVE) oven for 4 to 8 hours at 120F degrees to remove moisture. These ovens should be confirmed using a thermometer, or temp logger, ( some parts of the oven may get hotter near where the hot air comes in) but be careful if there are any acetate components on the mic as acetate may deform even under this mild heat. A curious approach to dehydrating though and a warning to keep mics protected when not in use and using a minimum of moisture in cleaning them If you must.
Back in the smoking days, the residue on the diaphram surface was more of a resin (tobacco as well as pot) that can be carefully removed by a swab dampened with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. The isopropyl has a bonus effect of removing water, but care must be taken to not leave solvent on the diaphrams more than 30 to 60 seconds. and avoid wetting the corners and getting it behind the diaphram where there are sometimes adhesives that the alcohol would affect.
If the brass of the capsule has oxidized and green spots on the plate gap, you may not be able to fix that but if there are resins or other stuff on the outside that you can clean off the mic should come back.
When cleaning diaphrams sometimes solutions will get behind the diaphram and the surface tension will stick it to the plate. Don't panic. just bake it or let it dry out and recheck it later. And sometimes the surface tension has to be broken to restore the gap by gently pushing on the diaphram. If it still doesn't unstick, redry and check again. Sometimes this takes several cycles to get the diaphram unstick. but it will eventually will just be patient.

This is a very special way of capsule cleaning. I wouldn't do it like this...

That's the video I'm talking about.
I was every surprised to see this.
If someone told me that I need to rinse the capsule of my vintage Neumann with destiled watter,
I would show him the door, lol.

@all
Thank you guys for your very informative responses!

Since I’m a curious guy I will first try the trick with the cap,
although I’m convinced now, that it must be the moisture on the capsule causing the noise.

The diaphragm is clean, so I don’t need to clean it, but I will have to ged rid of the moisture.

I will report back here how it went.
Cheers!

Back