It’s a generational thing rant.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s great if you are Uber and can toss it on the back of you self employee’s. The rules are heavily tilted towards employers. They can pay nothing if they can call you self employed. The employee has the non choice of paying double. I can imagine a more equitable system.
this is an old screed... FEDEX employs local delivery drivers that are treated as independent contractors so they don't have to consider them regular employees with the extra overhead.

I think CA is writing legislation to make gig workers ( like Lyft/Uber) full employees. This will likely end up with less gigs... for better or worse.

JR

I'd rather have the employer kick in for a living wage than have the taxpayer cover the shortfall with social programs. Like with many minimum wage workers.

Where do you think tax dollars come from?

Good luck

JR
If McDonalds payed more corporate tax to pay for the social programs that fall on the individual taxpayer because of their low wages it might make sense but they don't. Large corporations pay little tax.

It depends on what you consider a head. I employ no one but myself. I think I’m being penalized for not working for someone else. That’s one of the main incentives for companies to label everyone self employed. That way they pay nothing. That’s illegal but common practice.
The 7.5% FICA cost burden is very small compared to other benefits most companies provide to employees (healthcare, dental, vision subsidies, cafeteria, 401(k) matching, bonus, life insurance, etc.). Typical fully burdened cost of an employee is nearly double the base salary. If you're self-employed you've got to charge enough to cover those other expenses.

The trade off is more about flexibility of workforce size. Contractors are the first to go when the economy contracts. Pun intended.

I'd rather have the employer kick in for a living wage than have the taxpayer cover the shortfall with social programs. Like with many minimum wage workers.
Then the company passes it along to the customer who either buys less or asks his employer for a raise and the cycle continues.

this is an old screed... FEDEX employs local delivery drivers that are treated as independent contractors so they don't have to consider them regular employees with the extra overhead.

I think CA is writing legislation to make gig workers ( like Lyft/Uber) full employees. This will likely end up with less gigs... for better or worse.

JR
They passed AB5 a couple of years back. It really effed up many existing industries where there are thousands of independent contractors who want to remain independent. But the CA Nanny State, run by career politicians who have never worked in private industry, knows best.

Then the company passes it along to the customer who either buys less or asks his employer for a raise and the cycle continues.
That sounds like paying what it actually costs. If charging what it costs causes the company to go belly up that’s fine too. I’d rather have that than corporate welfare. Let someone who can run a business take a shot.

If you are viewed as equals in the hierarchy by management / owners then you have much more serious problems than a kid with a phone. That's what I'm poking at. This frustration of yours at the kid is misplaced and I'd suggest it's an expression of something else.

I hope you can find a place to work where your experience is valued and that you'll share it generously.

A parallel to illustrate.

If a client can't tell the difference between my mastering at 10X the price of a kid in his Mom's basement, or worse a mastering "A.I." like LANDR, then it's natural to want to lash out.

I can criticize basement kid for "undercutting" me and devaluing the craft. I can criticize the client for not caring about music, or art.

Or..... I can look in the mirror and ask why they can't perceive the difference? If the client can't see or hear it then it's not a meaningful difference. My job is to add value, and make that value add palpable and desirable. If I'm in the buggy whip game then it's time to pivot.
I get what you are saying but that is not the case here. A b.s. on a cv got him here, it will weed him out in time. While stretching the truth is common on a cv, a full on lie will get you found out in time. Give someone enough rope and they will hang themselves

Last edited:
That sounds like paying what it actually costs. If charging what it costs causes the company to go belly up that’s fine too. I’d rather have that than corporate welfare. Let someone who can run a business take a shot.
"What it costs" according to what standard? If it's a moveable business and local regs drive costs up, the business will go elsewhere (possibly offshore). If it isn't moveable, the business may fold, reducing local competition and allowing others to raise prices.

An unintended consequence of these policies is to give big business another advantage over small businesses that will help them gain market share and suppress competition. Crony capitalism is big business partnering with big government.

JR

It goes beyond entitlement. The Great Coddling of recent generations makes them unable to accept reasonable criticism no matter how mild. Teasing and verbal jabs amongst friends is right out. With some notable exceptions I found it difficult to work with them, too.

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times."
--G. Michael Hopf

Neat that you read G. Michael Hopf also.

When did internet influencer become a career goal?
Sheesh ! Spot on. It became a career when real jobs shifted to other countries, and Google/YouTube, Amazon and other vendors started paying folks for talking about stuff to buy and linking to their sale web sites as a form of advertising - and I do not like it. Every kid with a video camera is now a stinking expert on ... everything they can talk about. Just awful. ... (further rant deleted!) James

Just like in Rock and Roll, they'll have to learn that there's a few who get filthy rich and millions who don't...

And some competition (Mr. Beast, fi) already were filthy rich before they started.

Why's that sad? A while back, "professional game tester" was very high on the list. Some have that job and have learned it's a job. Not a dream. Would it be better if they'd want to be a fireman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back