It's different this time...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you seem to be from the EU only one thing to say...hope you have a warm overcoat to wear this winter, maybe several overgarments.
When those self imposed green energy sanctions kick in and stare you in the face.
Just sayin
;)
That's what's called a non sequitor. Well done.

And once again something along the lines of an ad hominem...

The swamp? Remember when the economy was running at top speed and the Trump administration nevertheless went ahead and massively cut taxes for the rich?
Yes. The good old days.

https://news.yahoo.com/irs-data-prove-trump-tax-130007569.html
Now tell me which Biden/Harris admin policies have benefited anyone other than those negatively affected by Democrat governor's extended lockdown consequences?

Are you as concerned about your own country's looming challenges in energy production and food as you are in American politics?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chemic...ngredient-amid-russian-gas-crisis-11658918219
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...f-fountains-in-face-of-russian-gas-crisis?amp
A big part of the reason for the longer-term debt crisis is the lack of a feedback mechanism that works against the increasing inequality. Debt=inequality. Increasing taxes on those owning and earning more is the way to do that. In the history of the US, especially during and after WW2 when massive debt was reduced to comparably low levels, that exact same scenario has played out before. I don't bother to post all the graphs again.
Gross over-simplification. Privately held debt is not inequality. I had a large mortgage for 22 years. Sold my house/property in CA and retired in a state with much lower CoL last year. Purchased larger house and property outright. By your definition I was one of the downtrodden until last year because I held $100ks of debt.

Artificially low interest rates for decades have caused housing bubbles and in the 1990s-2000s Democrat backed laws allowed lenders to take advantage of people unprepared for the responsibilities that come with home ownership. These policies hurt the people you seem to want to help.

There was far too much money in the market that wasn't used productively (also because of money printing and QE instead of taxing, which was politically harder to get through) and instead made the owners of stocks, real estate and other assets richer by sitting on their behinds.

I could go on and on, but this game is getting old.

I've researched this topic for decades. I could tell you a lot more. But we are getting nowhere, so let's leave it here.
And so have I. And I actually live here and experience it directly every day. You do like to tell, but don't seem to be as strong at listening. You aren't in control of this discussion, either. Respond or don't, but cease trying to silence me.

How is having half of Americans not having any skin in the game a good thing? Why is it fair that only 5% of us are paying 60% of all income taxes collected by the IRS?

As the US formally enters recession (according to the classic definition of two sequential quarters of negative GDP growth), the administration is trying to redefine what the word means. In fact their answer to inflation and slowing growth is more spending and tax increases. :rolleyes: This is a testament to how stupid they think voters are (we'll see).:unsure:
===
Meanwhile Russia is throttling back gas supplies over Nord stream pipeline (down to 20%). This is already impacting EU energy costs and will make for a difficult winter. I read an article this morning about a fertilizer maker there shutting down because of weak gas supplies. We are shipping as much LNG as we can to world markets but it takes years to build out new LNG shipping terminals and pipelines to get our surplus NG out to shipping terminals. The administration is nominally supporting LNG shipments to EU, while not generally supportive to our domestic energy industry.

We all need to stand together against Putin's bad behavior. We warned that he couldn't be trusted but a little too late now to simply remedy energy shortages. Good luck.

JR

I posted a link to the BASF fertilizer production cut in this thread yesterday.

It's bad enough when most politicians are simply ignorant of the effects their proposed and passed laws have on complex economic, food, energy, transportation, and technology systems worldwide. Toss in a generous helping of misguided ideology (e.g., GND, ESG) and all hell will break loose.

Last edited:
So we should leave it to the bankers? Or maybe academics?

As they are the only ones able to predict what the economy is going to do?

Oh, wait, they're just speculating too.

It's easy to criticise from the byline. Being constructive is way harder.

So we should leave it to the bankers? Or maybe academics?
Are those the only choices? Give me a break. The real world is full of experienced people who have a deep understanding of these important aspects of modern life. But instead Biden appoints career politicians to run, say, the Department of Transportation. Politicians with near zero knowledge of what they're "managing."

As they are the only ones able to predict what the economy is going to do?
It doesn't take a genius to avoid repeating mistakes of the past. If our "leaders" refuse to learn from history it is time to replace them.

Oh, wait, they're just speculating too.
Not everything is guessing and speculating. Population is increasing so food and energy demand are likely to increase as well. When reality is trumped by blue sky magic thinking, we all suffer the consequences. Some of us have studied events like The Great Leap Forward and Lysenko's disaster.

It's easy to criticise from the byline. Being constructive is way harder.
Having worked on very complex systems and solved many difficult problems (alone and on sizable teams), I fully understand this. So do others who have achieved something in life beyond just getting by. The problem is that many voters and most politicians do not grok this.

Last edited:
I posted a link to the BASF fertilizer production cut in this thread yesterday.

It's bad enough when most politicians are simply ignorant of the effects their proposed and passed laws have on complex economic, food, energy, transportation, and technology systems worldwide. Toss in a generous helping of misguided ideology (e.g., GND, ESG) and all hell will break loose.
It's hard to forecast the future, but a lot of modern policy appears misguided.

Hindsight is always crystal clear.

JR

I'll leave you to it.
I think you are looking at this in all the wrong ways.

This is an audio-related website, yet you can get deconstructive feedback from people with extensive careers and PhD's in biology, virology, macro enonomics, comparative psychology, modern relativism, electrical engineering, physics, cosmology, political science, medicine, sociology, and even paleontology - often all from the same person as well. 🤣

It is truly an embarrassment of riches.

Back