It's the Climate, Stupid.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scodiddly said:
More in line with recent history, how old was Jimi Hendrix when he became incredibly popular and influental?

There's often a knee-jerk reaction from older people when youngsters show up with talent, but it's often the young people with energy and audacity who are willing to change things.  Like I said earlier - there are a lot of old people who are hoping that the current system they're invested in stays around until they die.  After that, who cares.
Jimi Hendrix was a remarkable guitarist but not much of a role model other than for dying young from a drug OD.

Speaking of musicians, Frank Zappa (RIP) was somewhat knowledgeable about government. I recall seeing FZ testify before congress over Tipper Gore's attempts to regulate popular music.  I would have voted for him. Jimi I only bought his records.

Joan of Arc was only 16... Malala Yousafzai a Pakastani schoolgirl survived being shot in the head by the Taliban and went on to become a global advocate for human rights and women's education (not routinely available in the middle east).

JR

living sounds said:
Three things are the main problem: Overpopulation, income/wealth inequality and anthropogenic climate change.

I beg to differ. I would say overpopulation, under education and pollution/waste disposal. AGP, if it exists, is less threatening than any of the others. It just gets better press so the general populace thinks it is a bigger threat.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I beg to differ. I would say overpopulation, under education and pollution/waste disposal. AGP, if it exists, is less threatening than any of the others. It just gets better press so the general populace thinks it is a bigger threat.

Cheers

Ian

Scientists have come to a different conclusion than you ... using science.

living sounds said:
Scientists have come to a different conclusion than you ... using science.
Not true. Some scientists conclude differently, others agree with me. However, science never has been and never will be about consensus. It is about verifiable truth. There is little if any verifiable truth to AGP.

I care very much about the world my children and grandchildren will inherit. But AGP is where the money is, it is where the politicians can tax us so it gets the big voice, But it is not the big problem. Our children are being sorely misled by those seeking power, money, publicity and self aggrandisement. I pray they see through this folly before the planet is destroyed by some things they could easily prevent.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Not true. Some scientists conclude differently, others agree with me. However, science never has been and never will be about consensus. It is about verifiable truth. There is little if any verifiable truth to AGP.
objective truth
I care very much about the world my children and grandchildren will inherit. But AGP is where the money is, it is where the politicians can tax us so it gets the big voice, But it is not the big problem. Our children are being sorely misled by those seeking power, money, publicity and self aggrandisement. I pray they see through this folly before the planet is destroyed by some things they could easily prevent.

Cheers

Ian
I find what some people think is science amusing. That said I do not find politics amusing (lets get a million kids to protest  ::) ).

JR

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

The overwhelming number of experts in the relevant fields agree. While most of the high profile climate denier scientists come from different fields. Not that there are that many.

And the "money" argument is just preposterous. We are talking about the people sitting in underfunded publicly financed labs, choosing to do what they do despite the bad pay and the uncertainties.

As opposed to the most profitable industry in the world - hydrocarbon extraction. Where do you think the biggest doners of Republicans in the US (like the Koch brothers) made their money? Not by doing climate scientists and publishing accurate results.

Please, you guys, stop embarrassing yourselves and wake up to reality.

living sounds said:
BTW, every argument you can come up with has been refuted time and time again, here's a good rundown:

https://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

While linking a site founded by a scientist in an unrelated field...

not that it matters but.....

lol

scott2000 said:
While linking a site founded by a scientist in an unrelated field...

not that it matters but.....

lol

Exactly, it doesn't matter. You can report the science even though not a scientist yourself.

What the science deniers do is make up a framework based on erroneous notions and half-understand concepts and call it science. But it's not. We have decades of data from a multitude of scientific fields that all point to the same general conclusion. It's a very complicated issue, but it's also been very thoroughly researched.

ruffrecords said:
We keep having this same debate every few months. 😁

AGP isn't falsifiable under your definition because it's a system science based on consensus of observation , starting with basic thermodynamics and phenomenological modelling (in areas where theories are still forming).

Since I last wrote about this, I found a really good example that shows this.
Most tube models are based on a 3/2 power law which comes directly from Maxwell's electric field theory (aka. your underlying truth).  But these models are very inaccurate at high plate potentials and low plate currents.

Normann Koren derived a new pentode tube model based on the arctan() function combined with logarithmic scaling. This tube model fits to measured curves at nearly all points with less than 2% error. 

These functions are completely divorced of any underlying physical process or theory, and yet they can predict the operation of a pentode with astounding accuracy.

Is Koren's model therefore useless and shouldn't be used?  There is zero verifiable truth in the model, so it's extremely accurate predictions are invalid?

Matador said:
We keep having this same debate every few months. 😁

AGP isn't falsifiable under your definition because it's a system science based on consensus of observation , starting with basic thermodynamics and phenomenological modelling (in areas where theories are still forming).
The consensus of observation demonstrates that the climate is changing, just as it always has. It does not directly point to a single major cause.

I agree with your analysis of Koren's models. It can accurately predict pentode operation under many conditions. Unfortunately the current models for climate change demonstrably fail this test.

Cheers

Ian

Since I last wrote about this, I found a really good example that shows this.
Most tube models are based on a 3/2 power law which comes directly from Maxwell's electric field theory (aka. your underlying truth).  But these models are very inaccurate at high plate potentials and low plate currents

Normann Koren derived a new pentode tube model based on the arctan() function combined with logarithmic scaling. This tube model fits to measured curves at nearly all points with less than 2% error. 

These functions are completely divorced of any underlying physical process or theory, and yet they can predict the operation of a pentode with astounding accuracy.

Is Koren's model therefore useless and shouldn't be used?  There is zero verifiable truth in the model, so it's extremely accurate predictions are invalid?
[/quote]

Yeah, here we go again.

That said I do not find politics amusing (lets get a million kids to protest  ::) ).
What another conspiracy!  I thought they had worked it out all on their own!

When I start seeing charts going exponential, common sense tells me it ain't natural, its Man made.

You're as old as me JR, are you saying that the weathers just the same as when you were a kid?

DaveP

All serious climatologists agree on he fact that global warming is primarily due to the natural cycles that have been  confirmed by the study of gealogical strati.
They don't deny that it is aggravated by human activity, though. When a phenomenon can be attributed to several, causes, one choses to pinpoint their favourite target.
I believe the greatest delusion is to claim we can, by our own actions, stop or even reverse that trend. There'll be less coastal land, less polar bears, in the years to come, whatever we do. It's not a reason for doing nothing.
But the immediate ceasefire that is advocated by eco-activists is not a reasonable proposition either. There is a need for transition, and for sometime, even the most virtuous humans will continue to pollute.

Notes on the pitfalls of relying on models.

A few hundred years ago the observational consensus was that the earth was the centre of the universe and that the sun, moon, planets and starts revolved around it. There was even a model of it using epicyclic gears. The along comes a new guy with a new model. He says the sun is the centre of the inverse and the  earth planets and stars revolve around it in ellipses. For his pains, this skeptic was thrown in jail. Sometime later a new model was agreed that gave the earth no special place in the universe. Later still it was observed that the universe appears to be expanding so a new model was created. The there's relativily, the big bang etc all to be accounted for. The point is the current model is only our best guess.

Going back to Koran tube models, although they map very well onto published (static) curves, all models are currently very poor at predicting distortion products at high levels. I know because I have measured lots of tubes. Tubes of the same type/manufacturer distort very similarly but quite differently from the way the models predict. Tubes of the same type from different manufacturers have noticeable differences in their distortion spectra.

Cheers

ian

It is important to rememeber models are just models, they are not a crystal ball or a substitute for reality.

I caught up with the Swedish girls impassioned plea to the UN ,
an award wining performance if ever I saw one ,holy jaysus ,it was Iike Hansel and Gretel meets  the Exorcist 
Best thing for her is get herself over to  Hollywood for a few auditions ,
Greta Thunberg ,Actor and Activist  :D 

ruffrecords said:
Unfortunately the current models for climate change demonstrably fail this test.
mostmods.jpg

ruffrecords said:
A few hundred years ago the observational consensus was that the earth was the centre of the universe and that the sun, moon, planets and starts revolved around it. There was even a model of it using epicyclic gears. The along comes a new guy with a new model. He says the sun is the centre of the inverse and the  earth planets and stars revolve around it in ellipses. For his pains, this skeptic was thrown in jail.
Who put Galileo in jail?  His fellow scientists?  Or was it the church whose 'sincerely held beliefs' were questioned?

abbey road d enfer said:
I believe the greatest delusion is to claim we can, by our own actions, stop or even reverse that trend.
This is defeatist.  Humans could destroy most life on the planet and plunge the world into a decades-long nuclear winter in a mere 20 minutes.  To say we lack the capacity to greatly change the planet isn't correct.  If you are saying we lack the collective will to act, then I agree.

ruffrecords said:
A few hundred years ago the observational consensus was that the earth was the centre of the universe and that the sun, moon, planets and starts revolved around it. There was even a model of it using epicyclic gears. The along comes a new guy with a new model. He says the sun is the centre of the inverse and the  earth planets and stars revolve around it in ellipses. For his pains, this skeptic was thrown in jail. Sometime later a new model was agreed that gave the earth no special place in the universe. Later still it was observed that the universe appears to be expanding so a new model was created. The there's relativily, the big bang etc all to be accounted for. The point is the current model is only our best guess.

What a stupid "argument". Sorry, but it really is.

And not new:
https://skepticalscience.com/climate-skeptics-are-like-galileo.htm

living sounds said:
What a stupid "argument". Sorry, but it really is.

And not new:
https://skepticalscience.com/climate-skeptics-are-like-galileo.htm
not an argument but an observation/judgement, please keep this civil.

This is one of the longer running discussions around here, I suspect Ian is weary of repeating himself as am I.

JR

Latest posts

Back