It's the Climate, Stupid.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
Israel is mainly trying to survive, surrounded by neighbors trying to kill them (won't even put them on a map).

JR

Off topic but I can't help myself. Israel could have avoided much of this, had they been reasonable and kept their word(from the start). They didn't.  Palestine refused obvious unfair offerings.

This makes their present situation their own purposeful fault.

Immediately following the declaration of the new state, both superpower leaders, US President Harry S. Truman and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin, recognized the new state. The Arab League members Egypt, Transjordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq refused to accept the UN partition plan and proclaimed the right of self-determination for the Arabs across the whole of Palestine. The Arab states marched their forces into what had, until the previous day, been the British Mandate for Palestine, starting the first Arab–Israeli War. (Wiki)
DaveP

DaveP said:
Immediately following the declaration of the new state, both superpower leaders, US President Harry S. Truman and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin, recognized the new state. The Arab League members Egypt, Transjordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq refused to accept the UN partition plan and proclaimed the right of self-determination for the Arabs across the whole of Palestine. The Arab states marched their forces into what had, until the previous day, been the British Mandate for Palestine, starting the first Arab–Israeli War. (Wiki)
DaveP

I don't want to rehash Miko's words...nor would I want to say anything that might offend. Born in Jerusalem...father was an important general in the IDF.

Start at 6:12. Or feel free to watch the entire presentation...it isn't terribly long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLRP0yDz1qU

Interesting vid...

It ended at 14:58. A tiny bit into the war of '67.

To be followed by "Operation InfeKtion: How Russia Perfected the Art of War | NYT Opinion.

And that feels like a real propaganda vid. It's all the Russian's fault. Easy to believe, if you've heard nothing else during your entire lifetime.

JohnRoberts said:
The only reason I didn't get sent over  ...  was my civilian experience in electronics...  melting solder can save your life.  8)

JR

So righteous a word was never more spoken [to we  'electrical  types' ]    8)

While the claims seem a little optimistic a new farming strategy "regenerative growing practices" promises to capture and secure more carbon while reducing nitrous emissions too... They claim higher yields, but also the need for carbon credits paid to farmers so that does not compute, higher yield should pay for itself.

Experts dispute the amount of carbon (CO2) they could grab (single digit billions not double digit billions of metric tons as claimed), but so far it seems the least harmful of the many suggestions kicking around.  (Indigo Ag, Boston).

===

I have seen reports of farmers installing massive solar arrays in their fields, in partnership with utilities (10 year leases) in response to current poor farm economy.  The economics of this could flip back, thus the long tern leases.

JR

boji said:
Orange man orange man.  Who weeps for the nations of birds? What would each of us do differently after witnessing 20% of humans disappear in a generation?

https://www.audubon.org/news/north-america-has-lost-more-1-4-birds-last-50-years-new-study-says
That link mentions bird killed by flying into buildings and loss of habitat, it neglect to mention wind turbines. Another report from the same people report 140,000 to 328,000 birds lost every year to wind turbines. https://www.audubon.org/news/will-wind-turbines-ever-be-safe-birds

Not exactly new, in 2005 some 50,000 birds estimated killed in the netherlands.  Germany reportedly has a bat death issue with 250.000  (I don't know if they mean exactly 250 bats or 250k bats?). https://www.hollandtimes.nl/articles/national/birds-killed-by-wind-turbines-time-to-act/

Birds are sympathetic creatures, bats less so,  while I did have my carpenter put screens over the opening on my chimney to keep the local birds from nesting there and making a racket I could hear inside my living room... so that is one less bird habitat.  ::)

JR

PS: I assume "orange man" is some kind of pejorative?

Cats are a much bigger problem for birds in the USA than wind turbines:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/29/cats-wild-birds-mammals-study/1873871/

living sounds said:
Cats are a much bigger problem for birds in the USA than wind turbines:
And probably everywhere else. Just heard on the radio today, estimated 55 million birds killed by cats every year in France. Cats used to be predated, now they're protected. I love them cats, but I don't advocate them proliferating.

I was out walking the other day along a river (an hour or so from anywhere) and I came across this cute little tabby kitten. I live in New Zealand which was a bird island (native mammals are only a species or two of small bat). We have lost so many beautiful and interesting birds in relatively recent history (e.g. Moa, Haast Eagle, Huia). Anyway, when it saw me the kitten ran up to the top of this tall thin willow tree. It was wild. I like cats, and I kind of admired its resourcefulness, but I get a feeling that the right thing for me to do is go back and deal with that animal. The fantails in the area don't stand a chance. Cats really are bad news.

abbey road d enfer said:
And probably everywhere else. Just heard on the radio today, estimated 55 million birds killed by cats every year in France. Cats used to be predated, now they're protected. I love them cats, but I don't advocate them proliferating.

Yes, but in the US it's 1.4 to ca. 3.8 billion, according to the source I cited.

Keep your cats indoors, folks.

living sounds said:
Yes, but in the US it's 1.4 to ca. 3.8 billion, according to the source I cited.

Keep your cats indoors, folks.

Only place for cats is indoors. They especially like to hunt the fledglings.  They are driven to kill. It's their entertainment.

hitchhiker said:
Only place for cats is indoors. They especially like to hunt the fledglings.  They are driven to kill. It's their entertainment.
AFAIK stats don't differentiate between domestic cats and harets (errant/wild cats); the ratio is about 10:1 in favour of harets.

benb said:
"Over There" the meanings of the period and comma as used in numbers are interchanged from how they're used in the USA, so it's definitely 250k.
BUT the two different notations were used inside the same article (any decent editor should have normalized them)...

The two data points were culled from different sources, so they probably did what I did... just repeat the numbers exactly as originally cited. I agree that "thousands" is likely what they meant but sloppy/lazy editing. I know I was too lazy to dig any deeper (they were dead bats).

The two data examples were both from "over there" (Dutch and German?), while the Dutch and Germans probably still have a few differences.  ;D

JR

PS: I agree with Abbey that 250 000 is harder to misunderstand.

Back