Journalism, the problem?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thus, “Journalists need to be overt and candid advocates for social justice, and it’s hard to do that under the constraints of objectivity.”

Tried to link this to article but it would not let me so I pasted it.

Being from a different era, i no longer watch traditional TV news other than morning local for weather. As the rags and networks turn into entity’s trying to survive with declining views of self absorbed SJW’s, it ultimately ends itself like a frog in boiling pot of water.
Collages face the same future as people with different kinds of intelligence realize many degrees have no purpose in the world while the debt of collage goes on.

A short clip of Temple Grandin, phd. explains the problems.

What is this "objective journalism" we so tragically leave behind?
When they at least recognize they are biased, then you don't get the false impression that they are just telling the news

This is another of my old personal anecdotes but back in the 70s for one year I subscribed to and read three different daily newspapers. The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post. After that one year I had a pretty good perspective of how the different papers slanted their news. After that year I continued to read the WSJ and still do today. I see bias in the WSJ reportage also but they are closest to my personal world view, and when not in sync I can apply windage. I have changed over the decades since, and so have the newspapers.

Back in the 60s attending anti-war (Viet Nam) rallies in Boston, and then seeing the TV and newspaper coverage about those exact same events that I personally attended, the flaws in news coverage became apparent. Not from apparent bias, but the classic difficulty in single witnesses describing much larger events concisely.

JR

What is this "objective journalism" we so tragically leave behind?
Not sure what your personal temporal reference encompasses, but in my 56 years I see a distinct (and negative) change in journalistic objectivity and integrity. My father was a journalism major and graduated in 1964. He still recounts all of the professors hammering the importance of objectivity into the students and examining real examples of subtle bias from various papers of that era. Now we have blatant bias and propaganda. It wasn't ever perfect, and never will be, but absolutely has been and should be better.

"We don't print the truth; we print what we know, we print what people tell us, and that means we print lies."

Ben Bradlee

Source: News cutting on my wife's notice board that has been pinned up for many years.

Latest posts

Back