LA2A with Edcor Transformers - PROBLEMS!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:
try leaving them connected and run signal as if not, meaning signal into input sec and out from output pri. see what effect the iron has on the chart like that, where it's a loading effect rather than having signal pass through.

I thought about that too... I'll give it a try on the input (since that's where the issues are)

OK, I tried it & NOTHING Changed at all.

What now?

Should I try loading the input trannys PRIMARY with 10k?

there's always the chance it's a bad input trans. they've shipped me one transformer that was wired incorrectly; half primary to half secondary (x2). They sent a replacement pronto, so great service. I was happy with the outcome. but I digress.

have another input to compare?

[quote author="emrr"]there's always the chance it's a bad input trans. they've shipped me one transformer that was wired incorrectly; half primary to half secondary (x2). They sent a replacement pronto, so great service. I was happy with the outcome. but I digress.

have another input to compare?[/quote]

I bought 4.
I'm going to check the resistance on ALL the taps of each one right now.

What kind of reading/value of resistance should I be seeing?

INPUT TRANNY MEASUREMENTS:

XSM 10k:10k

Both Primary & Secondary read about 600 ohms across + & -
& about half = 300 ohms from Center tap to either side.

One thing I noticed, there is a LOT more mass to the windings compared to the 10k:600 OT's... is this normal?

[quote author="emrr"]just try a different one in circuit.[/quote]

I just ran a test sweep thru JUST the 10k:10k tranny's & they look good. :?
No roll off or funny stuff.

I tried the one in my unit now & a new one, both the same... even strapped a 11k resistor across the secondary to mimic the circuit a little, no change.

DAMN. :mad: They work fine out of the circuit.

Just to rule it out, I'll try a different one.
But I think the circuit is making the input tranz unhappy somehow.
I say this because, Un-Bal = No Problem.

Tried - NEW 10k:10k Tranz didn't help... same high end role off.

Tried - swapping the Polarity like you said, no work.

Tried - increasing secondary loading from 11k to 22k, nothing.

Has anyone else actually used these on an LA2A?

Today I tried a COMPLETELY different Input Transformer to see if the high roll off would go away & it did!!!
For the hell of it I tried these TAMURA 600:600 (1:1) instead of the EDCOR 10k:10k's.

NOTE: Don't pay attention to the LOW END BS going on, my main concern here is the HIGH END rolling off like it did with the EDCOR's on the input.

Here's a sweep of JUST the Tranny (Un-Loaded) just to show what IT looks like outside the circuit:

GA81710_Only_-_No_Load.jpg

Here's a sweep going thru my LA2A. OUTPUT is Un-Balanced (No Tranny)
The Tamura is on the input & the Secondary is loaded with the same 10k.

Notice theres NO strange Bump in the low mids & NO EARLY HIGH ROLL OFF (starting around 700Hz or so)

LA2A_-_InTx_GA81710_-_OUT_unB.jpg

Here's a repost of the EDCOR 10k:10k on the input & once again the output of the LA2A is Un-Balanced.
UN-BALANCED_OUT.jpg

I don't know how some of you guys get these things to work correctly for input trannys in similar circuits... like ANALAG's Opto Comp, etc...? :?

Either you don't care what it looks like, your lucky, didn't actually sweep/TEST or I got a batch of strange or bad transformers which I doubt.

I hope all this BS helps someone... I'm ordering some JENSENS OR CINEMAG's for this LA2A ASAP.

BTW... I'm aware that this isn't a completely horrible sweep.
At most it's about a 2dB or so drift from "FLAT"

BUT... It not only bothers me, I like to take these opportunities to "Learn" about why this happens.
#2, share it with you guys so you are aware &/or can help... me or anyone else.
#3 to have a great piece of gear I can confidently put the lid on & make music without looking back.

you give up too easy, son :razz:

only one day and youre ready to throw in the towel and empty your wallet? come on, now

i will think this over and see if i can think of anything else to check/try

Can someone suggest what size CAP I should put in line on the input to run it Un-Balanced:?:

I think the EDCOR on the output will be fine as long as I load it correctly.

Also,
I spoke with Doug Williams - emrr - today & he mentioned how the output cap & Inductance of the OT "Could" interact & "POSSIBLY" cause the LOW rise in the SUBs I posted earlier.

PLEASE don't quote Doug or Me on this because it was over my head.
If he, or anyone else knows & wants to explain how that works... feel free. :green:

[quote author="solder_city"]you give up too easy, son :razz:

only one day and youre ready to throw in the towel and empty your wallet? come on, now

i will think this over and see if i can think of anything else to check/try[/quote]

I know I know :wink:

But when I throw some old 600:600 (small) tranny on there & it STOPs rolling off the highs, & looks pretty normal, it makes me feel like I'm waisting my time. (On the input at least)
Like I said, I don't mind the EDCOR on the output with the correct loading. :green:

[quote author="emrr"]I think these are straight gain measurements with no T4B installed.[/quote]

Doug is correct. :thumb:

T4B is NOT installed for ANY of these test.

Just wanted to post this info:

Like I said, I DO think the OT will be fine with the correct LOADING on BOTH - Primary & Secondary.
This may also be circuit (output stage) dependent & could have something to do with the JENSEN MODs I did to the Output stage & the SIZE of the output CAP = C5
JENSEN recommends a 22uf/450 with their mods but I used the STOCK 10uf/450 MALLORY.

Kevin

the so called 'low end bs' is prob. the result of resonance between output coupling cap and output transformer. if you use 22uf as recommend for the jensen mod, that would probably solve that problem.

is the feedback for the amp stage taken from between the coupling cap and transformer? that can cause funky stuff too, its usually better to couple the feedback with its own blocking cap. im not familiar with the 'drip' version of the circuit and how it may differ from the original.

as for the high freq rolloff, im still not sure.

ps: using CAPS sounds like SHOUTING, comes off as ANGRY- just incase you didnt know. italics for emphasis are better :razz:

[quote author="solder_city"]the so called 'low end bs' is prob. the result of resonance between output coupling cap and output transformer. if you use 22uf as recommend for the jensen mod, that would probably solve that problem.

is the feedback for the amp stage taken from between the coupling cap and transformer? that can cause funky stuff too, its usually better to couple the feedback with its own blocking cap. im not familiar with the 'drip' version of the circuit and how it may differ from the original.

as for the high freq rolloff, im still not sure.

ps: using CAPS sounds like SHOUTING, comes off as ANGRY- just incase you didnt know. italics for emphasis are better :razz:[/quote]

That's what Doug said about the cap & tranny... I will try it.
It would put an end to THAT issue.

The circuit is the same as the original LA2A, so Feedback should be before the cap.

BTW, don't mean to shout... I assume people get the idea I'm just accenting "importance" of certain words... it's much faster ti CAP... but I'll keep that in mind & tone it down. :wink:

What are you using to drive the input transformer?

What is the output resistance of the signal source?

An obvious thing that seems to have eluded us all. You are using the XSM series, which have worse response specs than the WSM series. I doubt you need the level handling ability of the XSM; even the WSM stuff has around 10db more headroom then the original UTC iron. Your response measurements with the XSM input are in spec. I'd try the WSM since you've already done so many comparisons.

Latest posts

Back