LA3A 500 BUILD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toure14 said:
Peter do u still offer the La3A Kit?

Go to my preorder thread in the black market. peter has agreed to do a final run if he gets 25 orders. As of right now we have 13+.

Hi all,

just arrived in this fantastic forum, and I right away foud this thread, possibly my preferred compressor in a 500 format sounds fantastic.. So happy to see it at first, then I realized it's on order :) I guess I'll have to add my name to the preorders!!!

cheers

sp

Im in the middle of getting a mouser order together for my la3a build.

Can anyone recommend a good pot for the squash/boost knobs?

I know it needs to be a 100k 6mm, but I'm not terribly familiar with the quality of different pots. Just want to ask whats been working for people thus far.

If anybody is interested, I started a mouser cart for a pair of these

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=2f05b41ff4

Since I don´t know what I am doing half the time have to guess there may be wrong items in there. Any comments are appriciated.
If there is already a cart available in this thread, I apologize, it is more of a practice for me.

mulletchuck said:
..the ones peter supplied in the kit are kinda perfect...

"The kit, which would consist of the pcb set, the 500 series metalwork, 4 switches and caps, vu meter and international signed for postage, will be £165 GBP per channel. "

The pots dont seem to be listed as included in the kits.

If they are, thats great!

Can anyone confirm this?

I am building one of these la3a 500's from the new run and was wondering what diameter knob i can use.  I know i need a 6mm shaft size but how big can I go on the diameter?

Also what is the size of the spacer between the metal work L-bracket and the pcb.  Is it 3mm and do all 500 series modules have the same spacing between the pcb and metal work L-bracket.

Can anyone recommend part numbers for the 2 pots for squash and boost.  And for the 4 transistor pads?  Also how do I figure out what resistor I need for the relay, I know its based on what relay I used but how do i figure it out.

here is my relay.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=G5V-2-H-DC12virtualkey65300000virtualkey653-G5V-2-H-DC12

Thanks
Scott

will these pots work?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/51RAD-R22-D20/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlubZbdhIBIKFTNX%252bK3EA163xZeyVZZlk%3d

That pot would work, but it's a non-stocked item...

This is the mouser part that Mike was using in the SA3A:  313-2440F-100K

I like Bourns pots....I like round shafts too.  Something like this:  652-91A1A-B28-D20L

It's in stock and ready to roll and should fit just fine.

The pots that you see in the pics in this thread (the green ones with the long shafts) those are Omeg pots I think.

Does it also matter if we are installing the pots upside down like most of the pictures shown when people are building them?  The shielded wire will get soldered to the pot with the soldering points facing away from the pcb.  This would move the start and stop points to the top of the pot circles when looking at a complete module.

This is the knob i ordered from DigiKey:

1 4 226-2152-ND KNOB CLR GLOSS .50"DIA 6MM SHAFT 4
Immediate 0 6.53000 $26.12

anyone using my mouser cart, know that the LED resistors were 1W and they were too large so I had to reorder them and get 1/2W for the PCB.  Or mount them underneath.  I don't remember which I did.  I think i mounted them underneath.  I'm too lazy to pull the units from my racks and look.

Thanks mulletchuck!!!!!!!!!!

Peter what were the pots that you included with the first batch,  I am such a newb with pots.  I just wanna get the right ones.  If we are installing them upside down with the soldering tabs away from the pcb is it still a single turn pot.  How do we set the start and stop points or 0 and add like on a gain pot.  The pot mounts will actually be face to the right when the module is installed in a rack. 

thanks

Never Mind I am such a noob!!!!!!!!  The pot position doesn't matter because the start and stop of the pot will line up with the faceplate because the knob is adjustable, errrrrr.  Why did it take so long for me to realize this.  DUHHHHHHHHH 

-scott

saxmonster said:
Never Mind I am such a noob!!!!!!!!  The pot position doesn't matter because the start and stop of the pot will line up with the faceplate because the knob is adjustable, errrrrr.  Why did it take so long for me to realize this.  DUHHHHHHHHH 

-scott

Yep!  That's why I like round shaft pots.  There are no splines or flatted parts on the shaft to interfere with how you want the knob to be positioned.

Back