LA3A 500 BUILD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWEET!

Just for confirmation - what is in the kit?  Is it like the partial kits in your store or just pcbs/brackets?

Thanks,
Ian

8)

3akit2.jpg

Pcb set, 500 series metalwork, switches and VU meter.
Colour of the panel will most probably be black this time, but I will NOT put another company's logo on them.

peter

Thanks, that's great.

You should have received a hopeful payment for 2 channels.

Time to re-read this thread for the 50th time!

Ian.

I'm going to be offering a build service if another run happens just in case any of you are interested. I haven't decided what to charge yet and we still have to figure out where some of these parts will be coming from... I've just built the last pair from the first run so I've got fresh experience with it. Unfortunately for me, the pair I just built was for a customer, so I'm just as eager as the rest of you for another run so I can have a pair to keep. These things sound wonderful!

peter purpose said:
Colour of the panel will most probably be black this time, but I will NOT put another company's logo on them.
peter
Your no fun  :p

Peter,
Payment sent for one channel, of the LA3A.

Thanks
Scott

Any USA peeps know how much a credit card would charge extra for doing an international transaction.  If I go for a second channel I might have to use a CC and I think the fee is 3%, does that sound right?

Thanks

So does that mean that 5 units sold all together?  I will get a second one but will have to use my CC once this becomes a reality. 

So we are almost halfway there.  If you guys are thinking about getting one or a pair I think you need to order and pay asap.  This LA3a run might not happen so please don't wait till the last minute before its too late.  Lets make this happen.

Thanks
-Scott

I really want 2 more!!!
seriously these comps are amazing,
I use them almost everyday, especially on Live shows for Vocals,
It gives you this "in your face sound" that I'm always blown away!

but I just bought 2 M49 body's and parts so I'm broke.. 8)

I need to check my bank account :mad:...................

Same here, would be in for 2, but I bought a PMV70X recently. So maybe in one or two month?

Sorry to be late to the party on this one, if another run does go ahead I'd be in for one kit (money ready to go if / when it's time).

I haven't logged in here for at least a year or two and came back around having remembered this particular project, thinking it would be a great fit for what I need right now. Talk about good (or bad) timing, depending on how you view it!

Cheers,

Matthew

I have a question on everyone's usage of this module and gain-staging it.

This thing puts out a HOT signal coming after a mic pre, so i tend to follow it with jeff's VC528 set around -16 to -20db.  if i don't do that, the boost and squash knobs never make it past 7-oclock.  By using the VC528, i can keep the boost knob around 11-12 oclock.  Same goes for Ruckus' SA3A.  What do you guys do to handle the output level of it?     

mulletchuck said:
I have a question on everyone's usage of this module and gain-staging it.

This thing puts out a HOT signal coming after a mic pre, so i tend to follow it with jeff's VC528 set around -16 to -20db.  if i don't do that, the boost and squash knobs never make it past 7-oclock.  By using the VC528, i can keep the boost knob around 11-12 oclock.  Same goes for Ruckus' SA3A.  What do you guys do to handle the output level of it?   

It doesn't sound right. I think you might wanna check your calibrations. My line level is about 1 dot past the zero gain position (or 8 oclock) obviously with no peak reduction in. I run these after a pre all the time with no problems. If you've ever used a real LA-2a or 3A they behave in the same way. They do have a lot of gain and have used it as a mic pre after a tube mic before which is actually great in my opinion.

If i feed both of my units with a -12dbFS signal, i have to put the boost knob at ~8 o'clock to get a -12dbFS signal on my interface input. 

Regarding using it with a tube mic, http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51915.0  ;D

Whats the total build cost of the La3a Peter? Also does it work in the 51X Rack?

How does the sound differ from the 525 compressor?

Toure14 said:
1 What's the total build cost of the La3a Peter?
2 Also does it work in the 51X Rack?
3 How does the sound differ from the 525 compressor?

1 It depends on where you buy your parts and how you value your time, but plan on spending 300 quid.
2 Yes
3 You'd have to ask someone who uses them both.

Opposite ends of the spectrum. 525 = agressive VCA compression. LA-3A = smooth optical compression.

Back