Late 50' tube... who guess ! (The Ondioline)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OA2 is fed via a 100k resistor, so the current could never exceed a couple of mA.
In situ it was 4x39K 1W paralleled... I put a 10K 2W IIRC
The shemo is the initial release published in the late 40' early 50' which have some mistake or update since (considering my Ondioline second half of 50')

By the way, we talk about it few week ago in this topic, OA2 giving more than 160V, I replace it and regulation was fine since with 150V.

Last edited:
OK. So, according to this, the current in the OA2 should be about 13mA.
Yes as soon as everything is warmed up

With 2x275Vac the graph for 5Z4 gives a DC output of 325V, to which you substract 10 V in the choke, resulting in 315V for B+. This is for 80mA quiescent.
If it's actually a 5Y3, it has higher voltage drop than 5Z4, so it may be correct.

My math for the 550V (370FX) give about 300/305 for the 5Y3 @80mA (before choke)
with the 369HX (450V, your initial suggestion) I only have 250V, 240 after choke (@80mA) that's way too low for my need and there is the 370JX at 500V is just under too.

So I suppose I keep my initial choice and follow you with you later statement about the 370FX at 550Vac (390Vrms, loaded)

Best
Zam

Sound is back :)
Little low on B+ but I'll see.

"fun" (not so) of the day...I was enthusiastic to receive the new trafo... I pre-wire everything (before bolting the trafo, chassis need rework) including all CT, meaning 5V too :rolleyes:
Hopefully I was monitoring with two DDM and the hand on the variac...

grill cloth over aperture is changed too, for "vintage gold" the old one have to many holes and scratches

soon the end !

Best
Zam

Hey

The transformer is now mounted on lower chassis (need some metal rework...)
As already say I'm little low on B+, about 12/13V with 267V. it's around 5% so I think it's ok.

I already blow two fuse in two days, and do proper measurement, I have 320mA at pri (240V country) and the fuse was 400mA, that was my ultra safe margin which don't like much inrush when I don't use the variac, I'll update to 500 or 630mA and see (before putting higher value), I prefer to change fuses once or twice a year due to underrating fuse than blowing things in the Ondioline. (I'll probably add fuse at HT secondary too)
At HT the choke drop about 20V more than expected, and HT current is about 95mA for the whole machine wired
Power tube bias measures give a good match, 23.6 and 23.0 Ip, 6W each, and 2W for both at Ig2, tube are safe

Side question, can someone tell me what "Iex" mean at this datasheet
https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/370FX.pdffirst line in the tab, I don't understand the condition, for only one primary winding used ?!? WHT-BLK
the trafo is given for 140VA, 132mA max don't make sense ? or is that what they put in for the measure ?

I'm back soon ;)

Cheers
Zam

Hey

The transformer is now mounted on lower chassis (need some metal rework...)
As already say I'm little low on B+, about 12/13V with 267V. it's around 5% so I think it's ok.

I already blow two fuse in two days, and do proper measurement, I have 320mA at pri (240V country) and the fuse was 400mA, that was my ultra safe margin which don't like much inrush when I don't use the variac, I'll update to 500 or 630mA and see (before putting higher value), I prefer to change fuses once or twice a year due to underrating fuse than blowing things in the Ondioline. (I'll probably add fuse at HT secondary too)
At HT the choke drop about 20V more than expected, and HT current is about 95mA for the whole machine wired
Usually fuses are rated at about 2x the nominal current. Have you used slow-blo fuses (T-type)?
Side question, can someone tell me what "Iex" mean at this datasheet
https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/370FX.pdf
Iex is the EXcitation current, i.e. the minimum current the primary will draw even if there is no load. Typically, for calculations, you have to add this value to the reflected current of all the secondaries under load. 132mA is for each primary. When they are in series it's the only current, but when they are in parallels, the current is double.

Hello Abby

Yes I use Temporized fuses, without respecting the x1.5 or x2 rules because most of power on since was with variac at each component change or rewiring, but recently as it's mostly finished and I'm more in the fine tuning of the whole thing I do hard power on. I just put a 500mA if it blow to fast I'll go for 630mA
Iex is the EXcitation current, i.e. the minimum current the primary will draw even if there is no load. Typically, for calculations, you have to add this value to the reflected current of all the secondaries under load. 132mA is for each primary. When they are in series it's the only current, but when they are in parallels, the current is double.
Tks for this clarification, so this is the trafo own loos

math seem to confirm well
2A@5V->42mA
[email protected]>105mA
95mA@560V-->41mA
adding 132mA give 320mA...what I measure despite some approximations

Cheers
Zam

Back