Looking for Rotary Switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I updated my info. I would like to use Grayhill. SSL used the exact switch in their later G series consoles. I found the model that is mounted to a PCB but I would rather get solder lugs so I can put resistors directly on the switch and not have to fab a PCB. Of course on the few models that I have seen SSL use the Grayhill with solder lugs that I am looking for, they scratched the model number off and I have had no luck trying to figure it out so far. I will post a pic. Thanks for the ElectroSwitch link. Definitely consider using it, what does everyone think about them? Are they reliable and solid switches?

Attachments

• Grayhill 2p 12w 2.jpg
    Grayhill 2p 12w 2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 68
If you are going to use that series of Grayhill you will have to go with a 2 deck switch as they are max 12 positions with 1 pole only (6 if a 2pole). So if you use each deck as 1P12T you end up with 2P12T.

Jim

I understand now. That is why I was having so much trouble finding a part number for what I was looking for. Thanks Jim. Does any one have other suggestions? Open for any input. Elma vs. Grayhill vs. Electroswitch

Well Elma makes a 2P12T for sure. They do it in 1 deck as their switch has 24 positions.
The reasoning with rotaries is that for each pole added you dive the max number of positions in a single deck. For Elma I think they can do up to 4 poles per deck resulting in 6 positions. Lorlins normally do 1P12T and can do up to 4 poles resulting in 3 positions (Lorlins only come in 1 deck as you probably know).

If you are just looking at replacing that Grayhill in the picture (which by the way looks like a 1 deck) with a 2P12T you either use a similar model Grayhill with 2 decks or go with Elma or other brand which has a bigger footprint.

Jim

I notice Electroswitch rotary switches in some high end gear, and have had excellent results myself. The C4 are ones I've noticed as I recognize the feel from my own gear. Also really like the feel and wiping contact of the D3 open frame. One to look at for your application would be the M5, 1" diameter sealed. The M5 is not one I've used but I am going to get a few samples, having seen them at AES and been quite impressed. The prices seem to be in line with Elma and Grayhill... that is to say not cheap.

Cheers,

Michael

Just as an update, I found a great source for ElectroSwitch and Grayhill Rotary's.

http://www.alliedelec.com/sensors-switches-relays/switches/?dsNav=Ro:0,N:4294886854-4294952772-4294965262

and

http://www.alliedelec.com/sensors-switches-relays/switches/?dsNav=N%3a4294886854-4294952772-4294965299

I have heard that from several people now. I found a good source for Grayhill switches so I am going with that. And they are under $30 ea. Thanks for all the replies.

Peace

simonsez said:
Don't buy those plastic electroswitch, i buy 10 of them from mouser, and i found that it's not good.(very) :mad: :mad:

Interesting. If I may ask, what specifically was the problem with them?

Thanks much,

Michael

mjk said:
simonsez said:
Don't buy those plastic electroswitch, i buy 10 of them from mouser, and i found that it's not good.(very) :mad: :mad:

Interesting. If I may ask, what specifically was the problem with them?

Thanks much,

Michael

It's have bad feel (?)...i don't know how to say it, but when it's stop (loose click), it's vey loose....very bad... :mad:much worst  than cheap alpha switch. 

Latest posts

Back