meet the new boss, same as the old boss

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, everytime I see this threads' title this goes through my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoa1kmO9Y-E

Pretty awesome bass player. I would've voted him for president in a heartbeat.

JohnRoberts said:
He actually addressed that in one of the debates. He can't give a detailed plan with exact specifics because that isn't what leaders do. He defines the direction and the desired result then instructs congress to work out the details (I think in his explanation he was describing how he passed legislation in MA as governor). Of course he gets involved to break up logjams and keep the dialog going, but deliberation and negotiation is done by the congress.

I have some sympathy for that. I understand the devil is in the details. Obama got soundly critisized for doing just that with the budget process. How about a general outline? Romney's five point plan was laughable and there wasn't much info on the website. I checked.  It also fit in a pattern of not saying anything about anything for fear of saying the wrong thing and tanking like his father. He was timid and weak.

Be careful about your new sources.

I'm a little it of a foreign policy buff. It has fallen by the way side the last few years  but I still like reading foreign policy journals and even get a peak at Jane's every once in a while. I think the NYT is pretty good. I can parse language and separate analysis from fact.  TV news is terrible with the exception of the PBS Newshour. Fox and MSNBC are the worst with CNN close behind.

Wow... he seems to have a pretty good grasp from where I sit. I and many others are disappointed that he gave Obama a pass on the Benghazi cover up in the third debate.

Romney went to Poland because his big foreign policy idea was to rattle his sabre at Russia at the convention speech. That was a big lead balloon. Never heard about that again. I hope his advisors didn't come up with that idiocy.

Coverup is a pretty strong word. Mistake yes, coverup, no. The Obama administration has been remarkably scandle free. Benghazi is the closest and it's nothing. Petraeus fell on his sword as he should if he was in charge of embassy security. The opposition was crying coverup as it was happening. There has barely been time to investigate. I don't blame the Republicans for making hay but it's a stretch. If the shoe was on the other foot Schumer would be jumping up and down.

Many do.. Obama gave a speech in Berlin before his 2008 run.

Right. He also went to see the troops in Iraq. I can't recall Romney visiting the troops overseas. I could be wrong but I pay pretty close attention. I consider a presidential candidate not visiting the overseas troops unpatriotic. That makes him unfit for the position in my book.

Gold said:
JohnRoberts said:
He actually addressed that in one of the debates. He can't give a detailed plan with exact specifics because that isn't what leaders do. He defines the direction and the desired result then instructs congress to work out the details (I think in his explanation he was describing how he passed legislation in MA as governor). Of course he gets involved to break up logjams and keep the dialog going, but deliberation and negotiation is done by the congress.

I have some sympathy for that. I understand the devil is in the details.
No perhaps I was unclear. Difficult bipartisan legislation is never crafted whole by the president or even one side. Pretty much every aspect is negotiated between the two parties in committee since they have to decide the specific give and take, then report out what they agreed to the whole house or whole senate for them to vote on. When both the Senate and the house versions have been approved by each house have versions that they can agree on, those two versions need to get consolidated and differences negotiated.

During 2008-2010 the requirement to get agreement from republicans was not necessary since the super majority in the senate could over ride a filibuster so the legislation was written without much republican input.

Since the Obama care legislation didn't get a final second senate version finished before they lost the super majority in 2010, they used a gimmick to pass it as a reconciliation (budget cost adjustment) to the previously approved version, that only required a simple majority.     
Obama got soundly critisized for doing just that with the budget process.
My criticism regarding Obama budgets is increased deficit spending... Our public debt has surpassed our GDP. As economist warn that much public debt can slow economic growth by itself.  Our 100%+ is not quite as bad as greece's 150%+ but at least Greece is trying to reduce their debt. 
How about a general outline? Romney's five point plan was laughable and there wasn't much info on the website. I checked.  It also fit in a pattern of not saying anything about anything for fear of saying the wrong thing and tanking like his father. He was timid and weak.
I still haven't read his 5 point plan, his website wanted some personal information for me to sign on. \

I just want government to stop doing what they've been doing so far. 
Be careful about your new sources.

I'm a little it of a foreign policy buff. It has fallen by the way side the last few years  but I still like reading foreign policy journals and even get a peak at Jane's every once in a while.
I've never read or even seen a foreign policy journal. Jane's is a military hardware catalog of some sort? I lost interest in military hardware after I got out of the army in 1971. 
I think the NYT is pretty good.
They appear to show some editorial favoritism. Giving weak anti-romney stories dominant position, anti-obama stories get buried. It seems even the WSJ got a little more liberal a few years back when they changed ownership (just the news side, not the editorial, that remains conservative). Or perhaps I shifted a little more conservative? 
I can parse language and separate analysis from fact.  TV news is terrible with the exception of the PBS Newshour. Fox and MSNBC are the worst with CNN close behind.
I don't even try to get "news" from TV, MSNBC and some of those other nut case channels should be embarrassed to call themselves news. I will watch some fox commentary but find most of it a little too shrill, the other stiff is impossible to watch.
Wow... he seems to have a pretty good grasp from where I sit. I and many others are disappointed that he gave Obama a pass on the Benghazi cover up in the third debate.

Romney went to Poland because his big foreign policy idea was to rattle his sabre at Russia at the convention speech. That was a big lead balloon. Never heard about that again. I hope his advisors didn't come up with that idiocy.
The symbolism of getting an endorsement from Lech Walesa resonates with me. I may have a different viewpoint of Soviets. I was over in Germany in 1970 on nato maneuvers, with other nato armies, while the soviet bloc armies were doing the same thing a few kilometers away across the border.

I am not happy about backpedalling on the missile defense shield just to keep russia happy... but this is what they were expecting  Obama to have more freedom to do after the election. 
Coverup is a pretty strong word. Mistake yes, coverup, no. The Obama administration has been remarkably scandle free.
Holder gets his own chapter, there are several notable screw ups but I'd rather not have to collect and submit a list. I try to forget about them as fast as I can. It's easy because they don't get much press. 
Benghazi is the closest and it's nothing.
I heard on the news today that the investigation is ongoing... 

A dead US ambassador is not NOTHING.  Mischaracterizing it as a spontaneous reaction to a video, even after it was obviously a coordinated terrorist attack (on 9/11 anniversary), needs to be explained IMO. 
Petraeus fell on his sword as he should if he was in charge of embassy security.
Petraeus was in charge of the CIA, AFAIK Marines are tasked with embassy protection not the CIA. it would be nice to get some  straight answers about this.

I don't know the facts but Petraeus apparently didn't attend the ceremony held upon the return of the ambassadors body. This could be interpreted as an effort to conceal CIA involvement. One theory being floated is that Petraeus was scheduled to testify at a senate investigation where he would be under oath, and have to walk back some comments or information he gave the committee earlier when he wasn't under oath. 

OTOH maybe all he did was boink that woman who wrote a book about him, but it seems the head of the CIA should be able to keep a secret from the FBI.

If he is falling on his sword now related to Benghazi it seems it might be to conceal something, not accept personal responsibility.

I always thought Petraeus was one of the good guys, but I liked Colin Powell too...maybe I'm a sucker for 4 star generals. I lost respect for Powell over his reported handling of the Plame leak. 

The opposition was crying coverup as it was happening. There has barely been time to investigate. I don't blame the Republicans for making hay but it's a stretch. If the shoe was on the other foot Schumer would be jumping up and down.

Many do.. Obama gave a speech in Berlin before his 2008 run.

Right. He also went to see the troops in Iraq. I can't recall Romney visiting the troops overseas. I could be wrong but I pay pretty close attention. I consider a presidential candidate not visiting the overseas troops unpatriotic. That makes him unfit for the position in my book.

I'm not sure when candidates were required to visit troops in war zones.  Does going to Afghanistan and meeting with Karzai count for anything?  http://2012.republican-candidates.org/Romney/Afghanistan.php

"AFP reported that Romney made a private visit to Afghanistan in January 2010, and had a closed door meeting with President Hamid Karzai. Karzai’s office subsequently released a statement on January 10 that quoted Romney as saying, “ … the US is well aware of terrorists' presence in Pakistan and its border regions and this is a threat to Pakistan and Afghanistan … The situation in Pakistan is an indicator that terrorists are not only attacking Afghanistan but are causing lots of troubles for Pakistan too”."

JR

PS: I recall seeing Obama on TV when he was a Freshman senator, at a senate hearing where Petraeus and Crocker were testifying about the Iraq war and his question sounded more like a campaign speech peppered with potential sound bites than actual  questions that Petraeus or Crocker could answer. At the time he was in the "Iraq is a lost cause" and we should give up camp.

[quote ]
[/quote]

I have always felt that it should be a requirement for the President to have served in the military before election. After all, the president is considered Commander in Chief. How does one properly command when they have no idea what it's like to be commanded?

Spiritworks said:
I have always felt that it should be a requirement for the President to have served in the military before election. After all, the president is considered Commander in Chief. How does one properly command when they have no idea what it's like to be commanded?

That's why empathy/imagination are vital skills. And reading lot's of good literature, fiction as well as non-fiction. Also a high ability for abstract thought. After all, you cannot possibly fully experience everything by yourself before you get an executive task.

JohnRoberts said:
No perhaps I was unclear. Difficult bipartisan legislation is never crafted whole by the president or even one side.

I was talking about the recent budget process. Not the Affordable Care Act.

I still haven't read his 5 point plan, his website wanted some personal information for me to sign on. \

He counted it out on his fingers during the first debate. Don't remember it do you? Exactly

I've never read or even seen a foreign policy journal. Jane's is a military hardware catalog of some sort?

Jane's is a journal for the intelligence community. The subscription is something like $1500/ year to keep the rif raf out. It's a good way to keep track of what's really going on.

They appear to show some editorial favoritism.

Of course. So does everyone. It's our job to keep track of that.

A dead US ambassador is not NOTHING.  Mischaracterizing it as a spontaneous reaction to a video, even after it was obviously a coordinated terrorist attack (on 9/11 anniversary), needs to be explained IMO. 

Yes, it was a bad mistake and needs to be investigated and explained. I haven't sensed any kind of coverup. The administration had maintained the whole time that the investigation is ongoing. When the bluster started they appointed two independent investigators.

I'll give you Holder and Fast and Furious. That does stink a little. But I think that's the opposite situation where Holder inexplicably tried to cover up something he had nothing to do with.

Petraeus was in charge of the CIA, AFAIK Marines are tasked with embassy protection not the CIA. it would be nice to get some  straight answers about this.

What happened in the heat of the moment is almost irrelavent AFAIC. The proper security was not in place. Whoever was in charge of setting up the security made a big mistake.

It's too early to figure out why Patraeus left. Maybe that he felt he dishonored his position is the truth.

I guess I'm feeling political. My feeling about Benghazi is that the central question is who was in charge of setting up security and why was it insufficient?

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was that the Ambassador, a longtime player in the region, pressured the head of security to lay off because Benghazi was a friendly place until the security situation started changing recently. Then the response to the changing situation was slow.

Spiritworks said:

No... I was drafted in 1970 and I appreciate that the military is ultimately answerable to civilians. I don't care if a general has 10 stars, as a civilian, I out rank him.  8)

The president is commander in chief, but Obama seems a little silly pretending to be in the same time zone as the seals and our many men and women in harm's way serving our country. Especially to ex-military.

While I hated it with a passion (trust me), the draft is a fair way to share the pain and keep us a little less adventurous as a nation. To much of the public does not feel the personal sacrifice that our men and women under arms are experiencing. 

This problem is not at the top, but from the ground up and systemic.

JR

Gold said:
JohnRoberts said:
No perhaps I was unclear. Difficult bipartisan legislation is never crafted whole by the president or even one side.

I was talking about the recent budget process. Not the Affordable Care Act.
I don't recall any budgets approved by both sides under his 4 years in top office. When he was in the senate he was more vocal about budget discipline. This seems more than a little arrogant and not respectful of how our legislative process is supposed to work. Congress approves spending, and they didn't even bother to negotiate a budget with congress when they had the majority.

He counted it out on his fingers during the first debate. Don't remember it do you? Exactly
No, I didn't watch most of the debates. I already knew who Romney was and his record (that is what really matters). The debates are mostly an opportunity to screw up.  Obama dropping the ball in the first debate was an unexpected gift.

Like I said Presidents don't deliver details they provide broad strokes leadership, make the puppies play nice with each other in the legislature where the flesh is added to the bones.

The call for details before the election is just more political maneuvering to get something to set up for attack... All that money, so few real skeletons to expose.
I've never read or even seen a foreign policy journal. Jane's is a military hardware catalog of some sort?

Jane's is a journal for the intelligence community. The subscription is something like $1500/ year to keep the rif raf out. It's a good way to keep track of what's really going on.
Yup, like they are going to write magazine articles about covert activities.

It's bad enough that Seals are contributing to video games with information that should be kept quiet. It's bad enough how much has been revealed about the OBL attack, for a political victory lap. 
They appear to show some editorial favoritism.

Of course. So does everyone. It's our job to keep track of that.

Yes, it was a bad mistake and needs to be investigated and explained. I haven't sensed any kind of coverup. The administration had maintained the whole time that the investigation is ongoing. When the bluster started they appointed two independent investigators.
In fact if you follow the activity shortly thereafter, there were official statements made before the UN and on the Sunday morning talk shows that are wildly in disagreement with reality. 
I'll give you Holder and Fast and Furious. That does stink a little. But I think that's the opposite situation where Holder inexplicably tried to cover up something he had nothing to do with.
The claims of executive privilege suggests, either something to hide, or complete dismissal of government balance of power.

Holder has also crossed the line related to states rights in his intervention into voting laws and treatment of illegals, this is constitutionally defined as state business. While the feds are responsible for securing the borders, another fail but they aren't the first or only administration with insecure borders.
----
Another top ten scandal is the partying by GSA in Las Vegas, and poor actual record at their day job.
---
secret service partying in South America with hookers
---
there's more but I really don't care to revisit them all.

What happened in the heat of the moment is almost irrelavent AFAIC. The proper security was not in place. Whoever was in charge of setting up the security made a big mistake.
I heard a military timeline that it took 14 hours to respond to the call for help. It appears that the attack lasted for several hours, so it seems there was a real window where aid could have been brought to bear.

Ambassador Stevens was notorious for traveling around Libya with slender, inadequate security. No doubt that made him more popular with the good Libyans, it also made him a target, when he decided to be the last western government rep who didn't pull out of Benghazi when the bad actors started to accumulate there. He may be guilty of disregarding instruction, just like the guy who disobeyed a direct order to come to his aid. 
It's too early to figure out why Patraeus left. Maybe that he felt he dishonored his position is the truth.
Speculation was that Petraeus was put in the CIA to keep him out of the public eye so he could fade away (keep potential enemies close, like Hillary in the cabinet). Speaking of Hillary, how is she escaping criticism here? She is more directly responsible for embassy security. The CIA appears to be active in Benghazi, with good reason, apparently. How Ambassador Stevens got tangled up in it, may be innocent, or may be related to personal adventurism on his part. Perhaps he felt safer than was with a CIA compound nearby. 

I think there is a story here other than the version trotted out for public consumption, but I won't add more shrill speculation to the political noise. Now that the contest is over, we'll find out eventually (I hope), while it will probably be buried in some small article on the last page of the newspaper. For all the criticism of fox, they will probably cover this story, if and when it finally plays out. 

Interesting times, We all know sh__ happens, but any cover up is far more insulting than the mistakes.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
No, I didn't watch most of the debates. I already knew who Romney was and his record (that is what really matters). The debates are mostly an opportunity to screw up.  Obama dropping the ball in the first debate was an unexpected gift.

He had a big idea in his five point plan. At least that's what he said. Obama didn't give many details this time around either. He sure did in 2008.

Yup, like they are going to write magazine articles about covert activities.

The New Yorker sometimes writes very good articles that include covert activities. Jane's is not classified. It gives no classified information. It talks about current issues facing the intelligence community.

Holder has also crossed the line related to states rights in his intervention into voting laws and treatment of illegals, this is constitutionally defined as state business. While the feds are responsible for securing the borders, another fail but they aren't the first or only administration with insecure borders.

There is a lot of federal voting rights law. Border security is a federal responsibility. There is also a lot of federal labor law if that is what you are talking about.

----
Another top ten scandal is the partying by GSA in Las Vegas, and poor actual record at their day job.
---
secret service partying in South America with hookers
---
there's more but I really don't care to revisit them all.

My point is that there hasn't been any official misconduct at the highest levels. Like Reagan and Iran-Contra, Clinton with bombing the pharmaceuticals factory in Somalia after the Kenya embassy bombing and I'll leave George W alone because I don't even know where to start.

Gold said:
[

I'll give you Holder and Fast and Furious.

I haven't followed the thread, but there's no reason to give him that.  The only certain cases (last I checked) of the FBI selling guns to Mexican drug lords or their proxies were those involving the actual "whistleblower."  The Feds were largely crippled in efforts to prosecute cases by Arizona's incredibly weak gun laws.  That, more than anything, was the problem.

hodad said:
Gold said:
[

I'll give you Holder and Fast and Furious.

I haven't followed the thread, but there's no reason to give him that.  The only certain cases (last I checked) of the FBI selling guns to Mexican drug lords or their proxies were those involving the actual "whistleblower."  The Feds were largely crippled in efforts to prosecute cases by Arizona's incredibly weak gun laws.  That, more than anything, was the problem.

I didn't mention fast and furious specifically but will note that Obama's WH claimed executive privilege to avoid answering questions about it.

This is part of the near constant "investigations" by the parties policing each other. When obama took office they stirred up a bunch of poop over GB's administration (water boarding and sundry unpopular intelligence activity), after 2010 there was some quid pro quo. But this back and forth has been going on forever,,, not a new or recent development.

The suggestion that Obama's administration is cleaner than the driven snow is laughable. I do not want to prosecute them all. I am happy enough that most, after they were identified, resigned and quietly went away. 

The internal investigations into congress, by congress, seem a little generous. Like not even a well slapped wrist.

JR

hodad said:
I haven't followed the thread, but there's no reason to give him that. 

Fast and Furious was an ATF program. Guns ended up in the wrong hands and a federal agent was killed with one of the guns. ATF is under the Justice Department. It was a massive screw up. Holder wasn't in the loop but didn't handle it well.

Not to single out Holder but he has been on the political radar screen for a long time.

At the end of the Clinton administration he was involved in the controversial pardon of Marc Rich, reportedly a quid pro quo for contributions from Rich's wife to the Clinton Library ($450k). She then renounced her citizenship to avoid taxes on her song royalty income (that's not a new phenomenon either).  Ms Rich was associated with other questionable political contributions. Campaign finance used to be even more sleazy than it is thought to be now.

Panel Says Top Justice Dept. Aide Held Information on Rich's Pardon
By ALISON LEIGH COWAN
A forthcoming Congressional report on the last-minute pardons by President Bill Clinton says Deputy Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. was a ''willing participant in the plan to keep the Justice Department from knowing about and opposing'' a pardon for Marc Rich, the financier. The 476-page report, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times, harshly criticizes the Clinton White House for its handling of the 177 pardons and commutations granted on its last day.

Exit pardons are not unique to democrat presidents, and often stir up controversy. The retiring president has personal freedom, while excesses can reflect poorly on his party. 

=============

deleted

=========

I apologize for all my ranting... sour grapes no doubt. I am just human.  :'(

mea culpa.

JR

pucho812 said:
Anyone care to comment on the 15 states that  currently are wishing to seceded from the Union..  They are trying to put the proper paperwork in order.

I didn't know there was a form for that...  8)

Seriously i have seen more lawsuits from state attorney generals over disagreements with feds over states jurisdiction wrt immigration, healthcare, voting, etc. in recent years, seems like a lot more than in the past.   

Succession is extremely unlikely, unless they could do it as a block. Declare war on the US, then quickly lose and collect post war reparations with reconstruction aid.  ;D ;D

TX stills claims the right to negotiate international treaties with foreign nations as a sovereign entity.  ;D but that's just Texas being Texas. The relatively young European Union looks like it will survive breaking up over their sovereign debt crisis. We aren't remotely close to that kind of internal stress yet, while it may be interesting to watch the future fiscal trajectory of CA with their new super-majority in the state legislature, that was not afraid to raise taxes before... danger Will Robinson higher taxes coming.

JR

Has anyone watched this 2016 movie yet? I keep hearing from many different folks that it should be watched by all.

John I live in Ca, We voted(not including me as I voted no) in a .5% tax increase under the guise it's for education but ultimately goes into the general fund.

I was born and raised in TX IIRC TX is the only state that I am aware of that has to right to walk away should it see fit. The secession I am referring to are as follows

Here is the petition from TX to the us gov

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-texas-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B

according to the numbers they need a minimum of 25,000 signatures, they are up to 10,000+ right now.

Other States Petitioning are:
NY, FL, MT, IN, GA, KY, NC, MS, ND, NJ, AL, LA, TX, SC, MI, CO, OR.

Interesting to watch for sure and remember it's the government there is a form for everything. You just might have to fill it out 3 times over

HA , I love these political threads,

Weed is legal in 2 states = about damn time.
Poor richie rich Romney lost, get over it. The Republican Party is broken. Sorry, super rich white dudes can’t fool us in to making them richer anymore.
The fact super rich investors pay half the taxes I do IS MESSED UP!!!! Come on 15% capital gains tax! I work in financial industry, read up on hedge funds some time. Check out how much the Koch brothers spent on this last election!
It’s all about money; everything else political is a ruse!!
E

Latest posts

Back