MESSAGE to Pedro -Wonderland audio Spain- and 2254 kit buyers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mata_haze

Hello Pedro,
I am glad you are back on the forum after a long absence.
Hopefully you will now be able to provide us with the promised step-by-step guide on how to wire,make work and line up our €1200 worth of kit that I have purchased from you back in 2006.

Regards,
Mattia.

I bought the pcbs from him back then and while i haven't finished the unit (all the audio transformers are just too expensive right now) i don't see much of a problem regarding the wiring. Pedro provided a pdf with all schematics so you can do the wiring without any problems. Just read the schematics and you know what to connect to what.

Flo

Ptownkid said:
When did DIY become DIFM (do it for me)

when Drip changed the game with the small artsy novels, just kidding...

That's honestly a very hard project that if work don't get in the way I'll pick it back up and finish this fall. Just ordered some more parts this last week.

I have allot of the documentation, just not in once place. I need to buy a HD and move all the files to one spot and sort them.

Some of the best documentation that I have was provided by Pedro.... even though I'm still waiting on my VU scales and an explanation on the 1081 switch finale.

FYI there is a thread started by Peter (GMA) that has a good amount of info. I'll dig up the stuff and fix the links that I posted at a later date.

mata_haze said:
€1200 worth of kit that I have purchased

To be honest, it's kind of lame you bought that much worth of whatever if you were not even sure it's going to ever run.

Your wife must've said this to plenty of times already but seriously,

what were you thinking?

I understand the occasional 200 bucks worth of boat anchor, but add thousand and it's a bit steep.

I do not wish to be seen as jumping on the bandwagon for beating you up. But man, it was four years ago. If you studied the schematic one component a day you would have worked out the wiring long time ago.

Life happens and gets in the DI-way... Time passes quick. Just because you pick up stuff and then set it down for a while don't make it a complete waste. Some people can crank out stuff quickly and some people never finish. Clearly Mata is trying to finish what he had purchased, I'm in the same boat as him.

Why it was 1200 Euros....Dono, could have been 10-20 sets and a bunch parts. I do remember the offer back then and it was allot of scratch.

Kaz

have you guys ever put together one of these units?
it's not just about what to wire where; the length of each cable has to be specific otherwise the unit will self oscillate.
the layout of the cards and the wiring it's also critical for the perfect working condition of this unit.
I have fixed many of these guys in the past, that is not too difficult.

but try building one.
slightly different matter.

and also there is a difference between selling something with precise and detailed informations on how to and selling something that says "DIY here is the schematics, good luck".

but nevermind: probably it's just me asking too much.

M.

sahib said:
I do not wish to be seen as jumping on the bandwagon for beating you up. But man, it was four years ago. If you studied the schematic one component a day you would have worked out the wiring long time ago.

I can tell ya the schematic tells a story, but it makes clear sense when you have the service manual.

I'm about to place the goods in the Gmail account....

I think DIY projects should come with a step by step guide. The designers could have saved some time trying to help people if their guides and manuals were more intuitive, if they have any.

Also a basic parts list with part numbers or links. Not trying to offend designers, but you are already designing the build and buying the parts, what's so hard about cutting and pasting from the list you used from mouser or digikey, etc.

Atleast it will give people an idea of what part to look for even if they decide not to use your parts. Like know what the specs, how the part looks like, measurements, etc. with the links you provide.

People say its rather lazy of builders if they ask for parts list and step by step guide, but I think it also goes for the designers. Its only recently that I have encountered DIY kits that do not have step by step instructions. All the DIY kits I have bought previously always have a step by step guide, which includes electronics, softwares, etc.

canidoit said:
I think DIY projects should come with a step by step guide. The designers could have saved some time trying to help people if their guides and manuals were more intuitive, if they have any.

Also a basic parts list with part numbers or links. Not trying to offend designers, but you are already designing the build and buying the parts, what's so hard about cutting and pasting from the list you used from mouser or digikey, etc.

Atleast it will give people an idea of what part to look for even if they decide not to use your parts. Like know what the specs, how the part looks like, measurements, etc. with the links you provide.

People say its rather lazy of builders if they ask for parts list and step by step guide, but I think it also goes for the designers. Its only recently that I have encountered DIY kits that do not have step by step instructions. All the DIY kits I have bought previously always have a step by step guide, which includes electronics, softwares, etc.

I originally started off and ranted on what an ass you are sometimes. I thought about it while composing it and realized it was the wrong way to go about this, because your somewhat correct.

For what your asking you should expect to pay $75-100 for what was a $25 pcb or 3x to 4x the price.

You have these 8 typical types of people here:

1) Those who design circuits
2) Those who design PCB
3) Those who design case's and front panels
3) Those who create's BOM's
4) Those who organize group buys or kits
5) Those who do not build stuff (or building that project), but provide advise
6) Those who build the stuff, and help others with what they learned
7) Those who build the stuff
8)  Those who complain

With the White Market changes in the last year and a half, the offerings are more full offerings.

Take the 1176, Mnats  sells the pcbs and he has some documentation published. You also have the original OEM manual. At Hairball audio you can get a few kit options, find links to a mouser BOM. Without going to more than 3-5 suppliers and some time you have a new 1176 of 4 flavors.

Take all Igor's stuff, he offers it Al la Cart in PCB, Kits, sometimes cases and has documentation for the build. He always has a schematic and BOM for the projects, with most of the critical part info illustrated to help you order the correct parts.

The new Shadowbuss SSL, is available every way but built.

The Silent Arts PCB items are in Kit or PCB form depending on what were talking about. Schematics are available and BOM are listed, you just have to pick parts and order.

Jeff's options, are Kit, PCB, with docs available or emailed upon purchase.

PeterP options....Semi Kit, PCB and a BOM.

.... I could honestly go on

So... I guess what I'm trying to say is if your in the 7-8 realm step up or keep your mouth shut and open up a catalog and figure out what you need from the schematic or provided BOMS. If something is not obviously clear then read through the build thread to see if it has already been brought up and if not then post.

Most people tend to ignore people who seem to constantly complain and or cry wolf. This was a member here who would spam out the build threads with spurts and spurts of info, almost like typing out what he was thinking and arguing with himself in public. That gets you a nice long ride on the short buss to isolation, just like ranting about the same thing in different places.

Honestly I spent some time looking at BOMS that were provided learning about the parts and pieces and why I wanted to use them. I asked some dumb questions myself, pissed in the wind etc, but I got over it. When I get a new project I scan the PCB's sides. I compare the pcb to the schematic, helps get me familiar with the circuit and shows the unfortunate cases of errors.. I verify the parts list to the BOM and stuff what I have. I then take the list of items I don't have and measure any of the sized parts like caps for lead space. Then I open up my favorite supplier and go to town finding the parts. Thats why at this point I don't do BOM's, which I have done in the past. I do help people when there trying to do a BOM for a project I'm working on to help those who are catalog challenged.

Lastly, I'm in no way trying to attack you personally as some of your documentation effort on the forum has actually helped me.  You can do it if you set your mind to it, think a little, read a little.. before you do do it or ask it.

Well-f&^k I've said it before and I'll say it again...what really gets me is all the people on here with "kits" for sale that are not willing to share the artwork with those of us who actually want to spend the time etching our own boards and doing all the work-remember-DIY?  Remember Gyraf?  This place has changed a lot, and there are many people here that aren't interested in sharing and learning and growing, but they just want to make a buck. White Market,Black Market, whatever it is called...I believe if you are creating kits to sell to the community that you should make it available to those of us that don't want to buy your kit. 

So back to the 2254 issue.

I uploaded 3 zip files to the Group DIY accounts. They have the Gerber's of the PCB's I have, (With the error) The service manual, schematics, card layouts, Pictures... alot of info.

Talking with Mata-Haze one issue that he made me aware of is the wiring layout is critical and the wire gauge,types,  lengths are critical to this thing working correctly. Apparently there was a document that had some of the wire types and lengths. Were on the prowl for that and if you got it email it to the group email.

Kaz

Mbira said:
Well-f&^k I've said it before and I'll say it again...what really gets me is all the people on here with "kits" for sale that are not willing to share the artwork with those of us who actually want to spend the time etching our own boards and doing all the work-remember-DIY?  Remember Gyraf?  This place has changed a lot, and there are many people here that aren't interested in sharing and learning and growing, but they just want to make a buck. White Market,Black Market, whatever it is called...I believe if you are creating kits to sell to the community that you should make it available to those of us that don't want to buy your kit. 

I'm with you, even though I don't really want to etch a pcb and would buy them every time. I print them out for reference.

Latest posts

Back