Microphone cable differences

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was oddly hard to find XLR cables with right angle connectors. I found a company that makes cables to order.

Yikes! Ouch! :)

Serving Suggestion: Considering this is a DIY forum, why not replace the original connector with a $5 right-angled connector and save $45? A cheap soldering iron is a good investment! :)

Rationale: I could never pay $50 for a new cable just to get a right angle XLR connector on one end. That would adversely affect my bourbon allowance! I purchase good quality cables with factory-installed connectors ONLY on sale when they priced way less than bulk cable, and treat them as bulk cable. Some online vendors sell cables as loss leaders at highly discounted prices. I stock up when I see crazy low prices low prices, as I never settle for cheap cable or skimp on cheap bourbon. :)

Not being critical - just expressing MY take - your mileage may vary. JHR

It's an old debate.
There was a time when studio engineers and PA hire one-man bands used to solder their own cables.
As business grow, there comes a time when they realize they have more beneficial use for their time.
They may hire low-paid staff, or decide to outsource cables.
Conidering they can be amortized in the first year, it even makes sense financially. Actually, after having been amortized, they can be sold 2nd-hand.

It's an old debate.
There was a time when studio engineers and PA hire one-man bands used to solder their own cables.
As business grow, there comes a time when they realize they have more beneficial use for their time.
Conidering they can be amortized in the first year, it even makes sense financially. Actually, after having been amortized, they can be sold 2nd-hand.
It takes way less time to build one mic cable than to run to guitar shack or wait for Amazon. On the other hand, if I need a handful of cables or a bunch of Dsub cables, I'd rather outsource. On the third hand, if I'm the one wiring the studio, then it's paid time for me. Building cables is a bit of a zen meditation, so it has some extra rewards, besides pride.

Ahh right. Yes. Understood!

Cheers. Yeah - it's an interesting topic imo. My first instinct is to say - no tone control, or volume for that matter. But the passive tone circuit does tend to shift the resonant peak of a passive pickup with significant inductance (and resistance) and dependent on the overall impedance considerations. If this were a e-guitar forum we'd now be discussing Clapton and "Woman Tone" :cautious:

It's an old debate.

Definitely get all that - but at some point the degree of accumulated mark up tips the equation over. And considering you can make your own cables to a specific desired length and as desired - eg screen to XLR connector shell or not - it's sometimes a good thing to DIY it. Apart from the personal satisfaction.
fwiw I have quite a few XLR Mic cables from a (former) well known supplier. Work fine but aren't properly made imo in terms of cable retention.

And since we know tone is "all in the fingers", surely Clapton must have used woman fingers to get that tone. No RLC circuits required.

Mmm...not sure where you are going with that comment tbh.
Although - somewhat amusingly - in a historic video interview Clapton refers to the tone being due to the use of the Tone Control to roll off the BASS. Easy mistake to make and cheap laughs but he'll cope (having said much worse tbf).

Neither do I know you.

Do I need to have a website to exist?
BTW I had one, which I closed just a few days ago. However, it dealt only with my musical and sound recording activities.

Personally I cannot take anyone seriously unless they have a website (not simply a FB page) ; a Podcast (because there are not enough of those :ROFLMAO:) and (last but not least) Instagram presence. TiKTok optional.
Now if you check my "Socials"...Oh I haven't really thought this through :ROFLMAO: - although there may be a photo on FB from Eastbourne Pier.
And for anyone in reach of Eastbourne the Cover artists playing outside the bar at the end of the pier are always worth a visit with a great ambience. And the Bandstand is a Top Venue if the Tribute Band is to your taste (weather permitting).

Back