Microphones for DIY Mics: Updated BM-600 dimensions and pictures

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my multiple posting in this thread. It's my enthusiasm for the topic plus the fact that the frequency of posting here is not so high, which might make it look worse.  :-\
Again, if I should hush, do let me know.

Also, I couldn't find anything in the forum rules about cross posting, but I'll try to be reticent anyway.

I haven't opened them myself, but going by pictures on other forums (one in particular) as well as opinions (yeah, I know), these iSK microphones ain't half bad.
We've already covered the capsules. Those are really better than the harsh 32mm thingies in the Apex et al. However, K67 type (albeit a proper one and only 3 microns thick) is still stock in most (or all?) LDC iSKs and we know what that means. If they aren't already (could actually be in some), they need to be tamed in the highs. An 87 de-emphasis circuit can take care of that. Or e.g. a K47 could be installed.

Then there's the electronics. Simple, less is more, circuits with higher grade components (such as Wima caps) seem to be the norm for those. Better trannies, too. And the tube versions are plate followers rather than the more common (in Chinese tube mics anyway) cathode followers.

So, although most will want the empty bodies so they can install their own electronics and capsule, some may actually like to gently mod and keep what's good.
Or perhaps I should turn that into a question?

Yeah, I like it, too.
Also, it reminds me of my tea leaf holder, but that's certainly not meant in a negative way.
The integrated popfilter is a nice touch, too.

I guess many of us are programmed in a way that we want an 87 or 47 lookalike, perhaps subconsciously.
In that vein, #3 would be a bottle mic with a relatively small body and large head.

Duh, I only just discovered the added data sheets.  :-[

Yep, WIMA caps alright. (TRM 11)
And the frequency plots, for what they're worth, don't look too hyped. (But they're certainly not "very flat", either.)

Even less weekend posts or so it seems.
So it's me again, folks.
Oh well, at least it stays on top of the page this way.  ;)

Number three (TRM 11) is growing on me. Here it is in a wine red, solid state version:
http://www.micsdirect.com/isk_rm16.htm
I do hope that "leaf holder" is easy to open.

Oh, and although it doesn't have a tapered body, the closest looking (and sounding?) 67/77/87-style headbasket does seem to be on this puppy:
http://www.iskmic.com/iskbm5100.htm
(Not numbered, yet.)
It looks just a little different (perhaps bigger, too?) than the one on the BM-400/600 (good runner up), although I could be wrong there.

Just a small update...I am still waiting on my pricing for the bodies etc.

If anyone is interested in complete mics message me so it does not tie up space on this post (since it is meant for unbranded parts).

Good to see reasonable interest!  Also for the minimum of 50 I think they will let it be different styles.  I checked into having some stuff rebranded at one point and it was a mix and match min 50...so would think it would be the same, but will confirm.

I will also check into cases as a seperate item and the psu box for those interested. Shockmounts are not a problem...have  quite a few varieties.

Hi,
it would be interesting to know the estimated prize for the empty mic bodies in comparison to the complete mic with shock mount, case, psu etc.. Another question is shipping and if it is really worth to buy a few microphones from you or if the prize might be the same or even better here in our home country. Could you give us some details to see if we are in the ballpark? Thanks a lot for your efforts.
regards
Bernd

Part one of your questions...read my previous post.  I am still waiting to get firm pricing.

Well it depends...none of the distributors of isk in Europe are offering just the bodies...so that answers that part.

Secondly, as for complete kit prices with shipping will be for you to determine if it's worth it.  Since I have been a member for awhile I will be giving good discounts, which I doubt you will get from other dealers.

Ultimately it's your choice, I'll provide pricing and you can decide what's in your best interest, whether from me or another source.  Again pricing will come soon.

Definitly interested if price is reasonable in comparison to buying cheap mic´s here. I would want 2x #1, maybe 1x #2, 1-2#8.
Thakns a lot for your effort!!!! Thumps up!

cmuller0420 said:
it is meant for unbranded parts

Understood.

Also, I understand what bernbrue means, but yes, we'll have to wait and see what the actuall pricing will be.

And whether or not it's worthwile will also depend on the model IMO. E.g. number 6 (the body) seems to be like the well-known MCA SP-1 body shape. That mic can be had as a new and working microphone for $40 at times. (Perhaps a little more in Europe.) Suppose the empty mic is half that and overseas shipping, duties and taxes are added, there may not be much point.
But that's only one mic from the list. Number 1 usually comes as a tube mic and consequently at a different price.
And other examples might be even more difficult to get at a low price (for gutting purposes).

Yes, in the end we all have to weigh the pros and cons ourselves. That goes without saying.

BTW, lots of posts all of a sudden!  :eek:
What happened?

http://www.iskmic.com/iskbm5100.htm
this one looks best to me, I'd go with 2-4 of these if they will be offered

I think the MCA SP1 price comparison is worth considering. Given that, I'd be in for 2-3 "U87/MXL 2001" style and 2-3 "C12" style depending of course on price.

Okay I have some rough pricing on the bodies after speaking with my sales rep at iSK...will know firm numbers in the next couple days.  This s for the entire mic minus capsule and PCB. (ie connector, switches head basket and grill included)

The Tube Mics (#2,#3 and #7)

$100 - $125

The BM-5100, BM-5200 and BM-600 (#8, new #9 and new #10)

$60-80

I should be able to get Aluminum Mic cases and Blank PSU cases...but will find out for sure and pricing in the next couple of days as well

Shock mounts range from $10-25 depending on model. 

cmuller0420 said:
Okay I have some rough pricing ...

The Tube Mics (#2,#3 and #7)

$100 - $125

The BM-5100, BM-5200 and BM-600 (#8, new #9 and new #10)

$60-80

I should be able to get Aluminum Mic cases and Blank PSU cases...but will find out for sure and pricing in the next couple of days as well

Shock mounts range from $10-25 depending on model.

Meh...

Disappointing.

Paying for shock mounts on top is bad. 

You can get a new Chinese mic for $99, which includes capsule AND shock mount.

$60 for #8 may be interesting, but the tube mics are too high.  Skylar's bodies are only $75 more and are higher quality than stock Chinese bodies and you have his customer support and all the ecosystem and instructions and parts built around it already in place.

Thanks for your opinion and points.

Just out of curiosity, where is the price of approx $200 for the equinox u47 body coming from?  I was looking around on the white market and the equinox site and the body appears to be $299 and the capsule is $199. So to me it seems there is a price difference of $175 or so.

If you are happy with the other chinese mic for $99 then by all means go for it.  All I am trying to do is offer some other microphone bodies as options for DIY mic builders. 

It also seems like most people on here are not interested in stock capsules and electronics (could be wrong about all of that, but seems to be what I have found) and is the stock shock mount on the mic good?  I do not have any experience with those mics...and if you are going to junk those parts anyways are you really any further ahead..well I guess by $10-$30

Anyways, everyone take it for what it is.  The pricing is not confirmed but does give you a good idea as to where it will sit.  If people are interested in multiple units or including shockmount and/or case and/or psu case ...when I have final numbers in I can post package prices and bundling items lowers my cost and therefore your cost.

Thanks again everyone for comments and interest!

Latest posts

Back