Microsoft Vista is being dumped

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barclaycon said:
Simply, did you tried to run same DAW with same plugs uner XP and Vista and OS X , to bounce them than to compare? Most of the people think that it's just matter of look or feel but there is sonics difference. Since I prefer mac from OS9 to OS x , Vista sounds bit closer to that. Capisci?

Well, I make records for a living.
I've got Protools on 3 different systems - both Mac & PC.
I've got Sonic Solutions on OS9 and I've still got Vista on a laptop (but not for very much longer).

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but with the greatest of respect, I think you're talking bollocks.
Capisca ?
Ciao.
Sorry I missed this. If you read carefully you will see that I wrote that there is no sonics issue with PT and similar "own DSP" based systems. I was talking about VST/AU Daw's. They use computer system /processor for audio processing  but PT has his own algorithms and damned DSP.
BTW I do records for living too am\nd I live pretty well from that in past 25 years

Moby said:
In this case I don't know to explain but I expect that from you since you are in programming. Cheers  :)

Save the time and don't bother with any "shootouts". I've seen this exact same pattern in the past and it's always a user error. Then when you try to point out the problem, or even show summing code from some hosts, it turns out it's a question of beliefs.

I originally come from the KVR forum, and this kind of thing (with several other far too common myths) was a weekly chore. I don't go there anymore.

What is it with audio engineering and all these myths? Debunk one, and two more appear. Is there some prankster guy just sitting out there, making this stuff up? And why do some many take what he says at face value?

Kingston said:
Honestly, there is no magic involved, or blackvoodoo elves either.

I think that's your problem right there. Where are the blackvoodoo elves? Nothing can sound good without them.

I have a feeling that this discussion is going wrong way.  Thanks, I will not do the "shootouts" , anyway you can o it yourself if you want.
Cheers  :)

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1599524

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1599252

here are a couple threads in the sonar forum about Win7, a few ppl using it.

Win xp, sp2, rme hd cards and SAWstudio full as a daw.

Works very well and very very stable on the studio computer. no internet. 24 track recording/playback at 64 sample late without any probs, and have the ability to do 56 plus full expect to be able to.

i wont upgrade unless forced or wine gets sorted and i could run SAW under linux

Iain

Whoa! No Windows product is or was ever similar to or remotely based on UNIX.
NT was basically 32 bit DOS with integrated GUI. Much more stable and reliable
than WFW 3.11, 95, 98 and ME. The NT filesystem (or lack thereof) is completely
different from any UNIX filesystem. Security and permissions is implemented in a
radically different and incompatible manner. While NT and its successors have a few
commands in common with UNIX, they are generally incomplete compared to their
UNIX counterparts. Most M$ commands use "/" to pass parameters where UNIX uses
"-".

There are a set of UNIX utilities (unxutils) for NT/2K/XP systems available from SourceForge
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ that are what I deem a "Must Have". Not for 16 bit Windows.

OSX is FreeBSD with Apple extensions and GUI.

GNU/Linux is based on ATT System V and is a "UNIX-like" OS.

Vista is mostly XP with resource hogging eye candy, a ridiculous excuse for security,
misplaced system hooks making NT/2K/XP programs mostly incompatible (making it horrible for
audio & video editing) and general Why_did_they_do_THAT_? "features".

If the next "Killer App" only runs on Vista, I'll just wait until someone ports it to Linux.
Meanwhile, both of my daily use boxes dual boot Ubuntu 804 and XP SP2.

My $0.02 worth,
E

...I remember when XP came out. -Everyone seemed to be saying how awful it was unless you had a gigantic stash of RAM and a light-speed processor. -Likewise when Windows 98 came out, everyone seemed to be saying "You'd be a fool to upgrade".

ANY newer OS which "includes" lots more "stuff" will be a "hog". -There's no other way... and I really think that you have to factor in a certain amount of fondness based on familiarity. Four or five years from now you'll hear someone saying: "Ah, but the new OS is nothing like as good as Vista"

Last night I was dragging files off the F and G drives of the old XP machine. Just booting it up took ten minutes... -I'll be glad when I never have to deal with it any more. -Yes, I keep wondering why (and to where) some things have "moved", but I'll get over that.

Keith

I wrote an audio recording program using DirectSound. On XP, under certain audio configurations, the levels would not go above -6 dBFS. In stereo, one channel would go up to 0 dBFS and the other channel would clip at -6 dBFS. I tried the exact same code under Vista, same machine, same interface, etc., and the problem went away. Aside from that, there is little else favorable to say about Vista. It has big honkin' DPC latency issues compared to XP. The Vista search engine is a train wreck from hell.

When I buy a Windows laptop (the same applies to a pre-built desktop but I build my own) the first thing I do is get a clean copy of the OS, format the HD and install the OS clean. This gets rid of all the "goodies" the computer manufacturer installed to make it "easier" for grandma and the kids to use, which they think you can't live without. I once got a Gateway notebook (a mistake in itself) and spent several hours getting rid of every last trace of AOL crap they had put on it -- all of the files and all of the registry entries. It also had some utility always running in the background to arrange your icons for you. Who needs that kind of crap besides grandma and the kids? Later I got a Toshiba and reinstalled the OS to get rid of all the insidious Norton garbage it came with. In my experience Norton applications try to make themselves part of the OS so I don't even go near them.

As a rule, I stay one Windows version behind the bleeding edge. I went to 98 not long before 2K came out, I went to 2K when XP came out, and I've just recently gone to XP. I find it much less aggravating this way.

NewYorkDave said:
As a rule, I stay one Windows version behind the bleeding edge. I went to 98 not long before 2K came out, I went to 2K when XP came out, and I've just recently gone to XP. I find it much less aggravating this way.

Or just wait until Service Pack 2 is available for whichever Windows version. Will there be a Vista SP2? I kinda doubt it.

Latest posts

Back