Mics blind test

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that most of those close to me, friends, acquaintances, were listening to everything on their smartphone. Young or older. Probably out of convenience, we've gotten used to wanting something "Now". We have no more patience. The phone has become our multimedia center and often even a substitute for physical interaction with others.
And I started to train my ears for mixing and even mastering especially for online platforms.
Recently, at a small live event, I found myself disturbed by the SPL, by the bass and treble, by the modern "smile" curve.
I guess you have pretty good earplugs or headphone : at this condition a quality smartphone can (mostly) do the job.
But to listen to music, quietly, confortably sit, maybe a old jamaïcain rhum in hand, a real sound system is needed...

I noticed that most of those close to me, friends, acquaintances, were listening to everything on their smartphone. Young or older. Probably out of convenience, we've gotten used to wanting something "Now". We have no more patience. The phone has become our multimedia center and often even a substitute for physical interaction with others.
And I started to train my ears for mixing and even mastering especially for online platforms.
Recently, at a small live event, I found myself disturbed by the SPL, by the bass and treble, by the modern "smile" curve.
I still prefer listening to music on my JBL 4311's and a pair of JBL 4320's. -- THAT -- is a "real sound system"!!!

-- JBL 4320's --
1718317446519.png

Earbud's just can't reproduce music like it is supposed to be heard!!! They don't have any "OOMPH"!!!.....

/

Last edited:
I still prefer listening to music on my JBL 4311's and a pair of JBL 4320's. -- THAT -- is a "real sound system"!!!

Well, with me, Technics SB-E-100 (plus Marantz PM-75) in the big rig. No photo handy.

Downstairs for the kinda Office, Neko Ongagku Kissaten, living and dining space, I just got some Lo-D (Hitatchi) with 12" bass, 5" Mid with Alnico Magnet and an Alnico Magnet cast horn HF. Sealed Box.

1718316687766.jpg

Surprisingly good on anything from Tropical Deep House mixes to late night Jazz.

1718280472287.jpg

Cost me 160 USD delivered to my door.

Earbud's just can't reproduce music like it is supposed to be heard!!!

I don't know.

I use either Campfire Audio Andromeda or my own design (prototype, still waiting to greenlight MP) of In-Ears.

Mine are made from DLC coated 316 Surgical grade Stainless Steel, with 16mm dynamic bass drivers (that like having a 15...18" Woofer in your JBL Monitors) and a 2-Way "shotgun" Balanced Armature driver.

Either one is pretty Horrorshow (nadsat from "Clockwork Orange"- from russian "хорошо" (khorosho) meaning good).

I still prefer over Ears (Fostex Planar Headphones here).

But they are not very practical for "Planes, Trains and Automobiles":

Thor

For me, I like A best, it seems overall to do well with everything, no obvious weakness, good "universal mic".

B just sounds thin (maybe a good vocal mic?), no body, no air.

C sounds like something I used in the 80's as overheads on Drum Kit's.

I'd like to hear each mic pushed with high SPL Vocals (Joss Stone or Janis Joplin belting out about their broken hearts), as drumkit overheads and with a small classical ensemble.

Thor
Janis Joplin is booked out and for long... 😅
Drumkit OH : can be done soon...

Classical ensemble : I have to record a quartet (piano, cello, alto & violin) in a small church beg. of august...

it sounds very much like a wine card in a restaurant or like an art critic after a visit to the theater. 😂

https://www.audionist.de/2019/01/05/5654-tube-rolling/
“Her appearance is an independent one: dignified, solemn, noble - it is immediately clear: a representative of high society in high fidelity. The grand dame of sophisticated music reproduction presents herself with distinction, sometimes a touch of distance, but with integrity through and through.”

Auf Deutsch:
“Ihr Auftritt ist ein eigenständiger: würdevoll, getragen, nobel, – sofort ist klar: eine Repräsentantin der High Society in der High Fidelity. Die Grand Dame der gepflegten Musikwiedergabe gibt sich distinguiert, zuweilen auch eine Prise distanziert, jedoch durch und durch integer.”

Woweee!!! The man is talking about a WE 403 B valve/tube for Love’s sake!
Or is it about Fashion designers ?!?
😂

I guess you have pretty good earplugs or headphone : at this condition a quality smartphone can (mostly) do the job.
But to listen to music, quietly, confortably sit, maybe a old jamaïcain rhum in hand, a real sound system is needed...
Yes I have good headphones, but I go the hard way. I listen directly on the micro-speakers of the smartphone. This is what most ordinary people do, in most everyday situations, with a lot of ambient noise, etc.
In a way it's a similar situation with the Yamaha NS-10.
If it sounds good, balanced, realistic, on the smartphone it will sound much better on other systems.
✨
On the other hand, listening like this makes me nostalgic, the "telephone" sound reminds me of the years when I used to listen to my favorite music on miniature, portable transistor radios, with interference, lo-fi, in AM, with jamming (I lived for decades under the communist dictatorship). I was listening to Radio Free Europe and Radio Luxemburg 208, it was my connection to the free world.

@ruffrecords @Khron @Wordsushi @kingkorg @k brown @Migs 31 @abbey road d enfer (every member's welcome)
Gentlemen, I would appreciate and be grateful to get your "finishing line" and and your possible comments on this mic blind test...
Only 3 x 5mns of your time dedicated to this "little game" :)
The revelation can be interesting... maybe
Thank you in advance (y)

Last edited:
Yes I have good headphones, but I go the hard way. I listen directly on the micro-speakers of the smartphone. This is what most ordinary people do, in most everyday situations, with a lot of ambient noise, etc.
In a way it's a similar situation with the Yamaha NS-10.
If it sounds good, balanced, realistic, on the smartphone it will sound much better on other systems.
✨
On the other hand, listening like this makes me nostalgic, the "telephone" sound reminds me of the years when I used to listen to my favorite music on miniature, portable transistor radios, with interference, lo-fi, in AM, with jamming (I lived for decades under the communist dictatorship). I was listening to Radio Free Europe and Radio Luxemburg 208, it was my connection to the free world.
Now I remembered, I hope I'm not wrong. I think @Wordsushi also said somewhere that he also checks his work on his smartphone, it's useful, revealing. ✨
(Also, in addition to linear studio monitors, I like to check how a production translates, broadcasts on a tablet, laptop, TV, small bluetooth speakers, car audio system, high-powered club audio system, home cinema, various headphones, earbuds, etc.)

The last recording I did 2 weeks ago was to a 4 musiciens band. Getting my final mix each of them listend to the songs thru 3-4 very different systems (audio car / bluetooth cube / PA loud système / etc)
I was pleased that they were satisfied with the result...
So yes listening on différent systems is an excellent habit

@ruffrecords @Khron @Wordsushi @kingkorg @k brown @Migs 31 @abbey road d enfer (every member's welcome)
Gentlemen, I would appreciate and be grateful to get your "finishing line" and and your possible comments on this mic blind test...
Only 3 x 5mns of your time dedicated to this "little game" :)
The revelation can be interesting.
Thank you in advance (y)
Sorry mate, no serious monitoring where i am at the moment. I'd like to do justice to your thread, don't want to listen on a phone speaker 😵‍💫

Thank you for asking me to check it out. Based solely on which one I'd pick for my particular singular use case, my preference in order is:

B
A
C

@micolas, that is correct. If I'm trying a new mic or want to audition any changes in my chain, listening on phone speakers is one of the ways I determine what will work and what won't. As far as I'm concerned, phone speakers are the new Auratones. And I also try to do it in different environments, outside, inside, small room, inside the car, etc.

Last edited:
Same for me: B, A, C. B sounds quite a bit better than the other two, A would be a second choice in this setup. Btw, i like how you use fr4 veroboard to mount components. Good job.

Thank you for asking me to check it out. Based solely on which one I'd pick for my particular singular use case, my preference in order is:

B
A
C

@micolas, that is correct. If I'm trying a new mic or want to audition any changes in my chain, listening on phone speakers is one of the ways I determine what will work and what won't. As far as I'm concerned, phone speakers are the new Auratones. And I also try to do it in different environments, outside, inside, small room, inside the car, etc.
Thank you ! @Wordsushi (y) (y)

Same for me: B, A, C. B sounds quite a bit better than the other two, A would be a second choice in this setup. Btw, i like how you use fr4 veroboard to mount components. Good job.
Thank you very much @My3gger ;)
I became using veroboard for prototype and then get used to them time passing. ANd now I really like to use them indeed (I cut them, redrill them, etc so to fit exactly my needs) https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.93.21ef5e5bAgjjzm&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

I must add that for me, mechanical aspects of electronics represents at least 50% : which component choose regarding its size, how install it, where, etc...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-06-14 à 19.26.30.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-06-14 à 19.26.30.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back