Mix Bus Compressor from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you svyet.

I fitted the first angles this afternoon

They will support the removeable base access panel and the tube base panel.

Fitting the front plate angle has covered the meter holes as expected, so they will have to be cut back to fit.

best
DaveP

I have got to the stage where I have to decide where all the components are going, I do this by trial and error!

This is half of the power supply

This is the main component layout

The transformer's radiation/pick-up pattern should be at right angles to other sources to avoid induction from other transformers.
For example, I don't want inductive feedback from the chokes to get back to the inputs.
best
DaveP

The transformer's radiation/pick-up pattern should be at right angles to other sources to avoid induction from other transformers.
For example, I don't want inductive feedback from the chokes to get back to the inputs.
This is really important! It's amazing how much influence the alignment of inductors has on the noise floor. There's something to learn here, just like with your experiments on the subject of the distance between signal-transformers and mains-transformers. (y)

The other side of the power supply box is now finished. It supports one end of the tube base deck and on the other side all the smoothing caps.

This is roughly how the caps will be fitted. The earth busbar will go through without touching and the HT/B+ will enter by suitable grommets.

I will fit all the power supply components before fitting the chassis together.
best
DaveP

Before I start putting it all together I checked to see if all the parts fitted together OK.

Just as well I did as the top L shaped cover needs a bit off one edge.

I will drill a few ventilation holes in this over the power supply as well.

The valve base cover is next on the list to sort out.

best
DaveP

Since the last post I have cut and fixed all the angle needed to assemble the chassis and lined up and drilled over a hundred holes for the rivets.

There is not much to show for all this work but it had to be done.

Now I can start fitting components and assembling the chassis bit by bit.

best
DaveP

The other side of the power supply box is now finished. It supports one end of the tube base deck and on the other side all the smoothing caps.

This is roughly how the caps will be fitted. The earth busbar will go through without touching and the HT/B+ will enter by suitable grommets.

I will fit all the power supply components before fitting the chassis together.
best
DaveP
Hey Dave,

Nice work! Hey are those plastic pipe clamps holding your power supply caps?

The front panel is now finished.

Controls will be from left:- Input Level, Attack, Release and Threshold. Then the mains switch and LED.

best
DaveP

Dave,
I'm amazed by your metal work, so neat.
This is the area where I struggle in my builds: Nice clean metal work.
Well done Sir. Hats off !

M

Dave,
I'm amazed by your metal work, so neat.
This is the area where I struggle in my builds: Nice clean metal work.
Well done Sir. Hats off !
I also admire his metalwork. That has always been my weakest point. So far I've also sawn everything by hand, but I've now upgraded. A 19€ hand-held mini circular saw (exklusive the battery), which I've also retrofitted with a metal saw blade. Plus a DIY saw jig to make better straight cuts in sheet metal. Here we go...
1000025750.jpg

I also admire his metalwork. That has always been my weakest point. So far I've also sawn everything by hand, but I've now upgraded. A 19€ hand-held circular saw (exklusive the battery), which I've also retrofitted with a metal saw blade. Plus a DIY saw jig to make better straight cuts in sheet metal. Here we go...
View attachment 123784
Wow! € 19 !!! Looks perfect, thats the way to go! I want one now!!!
Be careful not to saw off the domestic appliance underneath (Like in those old Benny Hill shows)

:LOL: 🎷🎷🎷

Wow! € 19 !!! Looks perfect, thats the way to go! I want one now!!!
It was a special offer at LIDL last week, now it costs 42€ again without battery. I'm sure there's better, but it's more than adequate for my purposes, a real step forward. I also use it to saw PCBs, fiberglass turret-boards and wood, it's really flexible. (y)
Be careful not to saw off the domestic appliance underneath (Like in those old Benny Hill shows)
Yes, I've actually drilled into the top of the washing machine before, no joke😂. I have so little space in my apartment, every free surface is used.

Latest posts

Back