MK47 PCB tube mic kit - build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thought i'd post a pic of my finished duo. i'm so impressed that i ordered another mk47 kit.
it has chuck's M7 type capsule that sounds fantastic so far. the xlr connectors are amphenol which i think look slightly more vintage than the D-series neutriks. the pilot light is a fender tube amp one.

2jb2tcx.jpg

Ev, what if you use different sized connectors at the PSU end like we discussed and on the MK47's mic cable there will be an empty pin unused. Remove that pin in the MK47' body male connector and squish up a piece of that hard steal stick epoxy and fill in the corresponding pin hole in the mic cable. It would mate perfectly with the MK47 but not at all with the other and then do the same with the other mic with a different pin.

OK! Almost there!!!

Microphone built. On to the PSU and away!

Equinox systems body Cathedral Pipes capsule.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 37
hey Pip, nice work so far but for the sake of vintage conformity i suggest you find a way to use the acrylic plastic riser for the capsule mount.  ;)
i know, the cathedral pipes capsule mount is not compatible with the equinox body. what i did was i epoxied an M3 nut into the bottom piece of the cathedral pipes capsule mount after widening the existing thread with a drill. then you can use an M3 type screw which is a perfect fit for the equinox body.
one could also just widen the hole of the acrylic riser thingy but i wanted to keep the body in its original state for capsule options later on.

also, does anyone know if there's a swivel mount available for the binder connector? that would be so awesome. it's a pretty long shot i suppose?

Great photo, Dan.
which shock mounts do you have there?
I'm still hanging out (pun intended) for some affordable (yet genuine look & function) mounts for around the $30 ea price point..
Are there any out there?

Two of the bodies are from Skylar and the shock mounts for them are from ChuckD and have Thiersch Red Line and a Blue Line capsules in them.  The other mic is a BeesNees body and shock mount and M7.  Honestly they all sound wonderful and I have no preference between them.  I was happily surprised.  I thought I would like one more than the others and then feel like I need to make them all like the one I prefer.  The only thing I can say is that the BN seems flatter across the spectrum while the Thiersch capsules seem to have a little more something but that isn't always a good thing.  I use any of them on anything and with confidence.  I just tried them on drum overheads and it was very nice.

Just finished my build. Max what i can get out of my psu with mic is +103v. Is that ok or do i need do something?

Ok, I finally found out where the issue was, with a friend of mine and a strong dentist's magnifying glass I found one of the 100R lead wasn't well soldered. Everything it's all right now, I burned the tubes (I also have 2 rca tubes to test) and it sounds great (to me, sure). Now I gave it to a friend working in a studio waiting for a review from him that usually uses a lot of different mics. As soon as possible I will post the pictures, and maybe a take. Thank you everybody for the help and thank you max for the project.

Andrea

So she is done!

Rather than taking up more Space check it out here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/microphones/newbie-builds-ioaudio-mk47-microphone/msg665155/#msg665155

For the 14k resistor in the PSU, all I can source here in the UK is a 0.4 watt.  Will this be ok or no?

Hi Folks,

I powered up my PSU for the first time last night.  Initially it seemed that it was getting no power at all, so I changed the fuse in the IEC and powered up again.  This time it powered up and the fuse blew after a matter of seconds. 

The only thing I can think of that could be causing it is that I have possibly muddled up the primary and the secondary on the power transformer.  There is a blue/brown combo and a red/black combo.  Currently I have the blue/brown wired to the IEC/switch and the red/black going into e rectifier.

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd be very grateful.

Regards

B

Sorted, simple hook up error.  I did check for colours on the toroidal but there was no code.  Although I was 99% sure of the color scheme after googling I thought I'd post just in case.  As I turned out, I had accidentally wired the secondary- directly into the bottom 0v rail instead of the rectifier- .Cults.

Latest posts

Back