MK7 - tube mic project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we're dealing with a great design, great tranny.... why not go all out?!  I'm thinking a home made supply (that can power 2 mics).  And once I dive into the project, I'd be interested in working one out.

Then we can get any body we want.  Something identical to the U47 measurements.... I'm going to be busy scouring now.

thanks again max!

What do you believe to be identical looking to a u47 for a decent price?

Me I'm holding the sound of the grill in higher regards than the look!

Soon, soon, soon!

I'm still researching, but I'll keep everyone posted.

here's something... if we just got bodies... we'd have an exact duplicate U47 body with what ever supply we wanted..

http://flea-microphones.com/    <------ look at parts

maybe a group buy is in order.

edit:  by the way, they supply parts for the Wunder CM7

edit #2:  I just sent an email asking about group pricing on just the U47 bodies

That would be quite something - and no doubt considerably cheaper than a BLUE rebuilt 47 from ebay!

I emailed FLEA he wants 850 EU for a U47 body and 900 EU for the c12 body... spendy but they look nice i guess not what i am lookgin to spend anytime soon and maybe the prices will be a bit cheaper group buy... just FYI!

Yes, I spoke with the Flea representatives for this country, and the case is not really an 'affordable' thing... unless of course one has a somewhat different definition of 'affordable' to me!  ;D

Keith

well....

Ive heard that its something like $1200 for an empty shell, PSU and all the various accessories.. that's all from my memory,

but

if we did a group buy on the just the body... it could drop down significantly.... maybe?  I mean we're looking at spending $200 for a donor... what if the body was $500, could be within range??????

what numbers did you get?

natek said:
I emailed FLEA he wants 850 EU for a U47 body and 900 EU for the c12 body... spendy but they look nice i guess not what i am lookgin to spend anytime soon and maybe the prices will be a bit cheaper group buy... just FYI!

Just for the body?  or including the psu too?

I also contacted them  a headbasket is 600€  !!!!!!!!!  and just the grill 400  !

.. but what about finding someone who could make us a batch of u47 grills I actually don't need anything else

nicholas

Just for the body as far as i know, that is all i was aking him about was the bodies to put my own electronics in so I am pretty sure that is just a Finished (nicely of course) tube with a screen for 850 EU...

Eye candy sure does make good conversational pieces, but I'd rather not pay close to a grand for a mic housing.

So essentially I'd be paying big $$ for a good grill? Wire mesh? Machined tube? No thanks.

I'm sure at those prices we could get a body cnc'd up cheaper if we did enough. (Group buy).

It's the grill which should be in question.

Well David was making the G7 bodies and I was talking with him about doing a ELAM design so i am sure we can come together and make a u47 body if there is enough people who pitch in.

looks like there would be some demand  ;)

id say at least 50 here, and then when max does the next run with the modern lams... many more

then we can get a PSU build going and build that into a coffee can, or whatever ;)

Sure, well lets pull together in a new thread and see what we can come up with, measurements are decently important and then there is alot of info on the web about different screen sizes. The head-basket needs to be the same size and shape if we are going for the "sound" with the look.

Let's do it!

I mean, we've got the original laminations! ;)    and some of us may be dumping in some high-$$$$$ capsules.

We need to know what we want, and then how we're going to get it made:

What we want, important details of the U47 body:
dimensions
materials
screen sizing and layers
what else?

Getting it made:
materials
cost
MK47 specific details to be added (special rails to mount the PCB)
plug interface
time to produce
How to achieve the capsule mounting to mimic the height of the U47 capsule mount in the basket
what else?

Pics and some details:  http://www.coutant.org/u47/index.html

on to the PSU, this may seem like a big "duh" but seems like G7 voltages are similar to MK7.... so, that should be an easy problem to solve.

Max, can i ask you what diameter is the hole that is used to fasten the capsule holder? The one on top of the rubber shockmount in the sc700t mic.

Is it threaded?

Im trying to make some capsule holders, and it would help to know if i can use a threaded rod to attach the capsuleholder to the thomann mic body.

Or even better, would the plastic capsule holder that came with the mic work with an m7 capsule with the correct adapter (kinda like the one burdij offers in the black market)? In that case, do you know what the diameter of the adapter would need to be for it to fit in the plastic holder?

I havent gotten my sc700t mics yet, but i have a friend who atm has some sparetime and might be able to make some nice capsule holders for my mics, that wants some measurements.

Thanks!
/J

just recieved my sc700 mic.

one question until I head home and start to study the psu and cut up the mic:

the stock capsule sits high inside the head. WAY high if you ask me. the upper edge from the grille "cuts" the capsule at around 10 and 2 o'clock.

is that a normal height for a capsule?

Latest posts

Back