Modular active line mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing work!!

I'm also working on a little mixer but your work here is inspiring and hardcore!

525 comps, sontec style EQ, discrete audio path, api mic pres? wow!

-T

burdij would you at all be interested in making your buss assignment module cards purchasable?

If so that would save me like a million hours of r&d.

Here is another angle with the new version of the bus module. There is still some development that needs to be done on it as I am having packaging issues. Each module has one full size DOA and 3 "minis". Also getting the illuminated switches is proving to be difficult.

console_proto_full_2.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

I have made some progress on the bus module. I have managed to assemble 6 of the 2510 op-amps, enough for two modules for an actual summing bus test. I am also trying to decide where to put at least one insert in the bus output, which is the top control on the modules with the assignment buttons.

In order to populate all of the modules with DOAs, I will need 36 2520s and 24 2510s or about 100 hours worth of hand placing SMD parts. That concept was discouraging so I got one of these:

zeva_top.jpg

The business end:

zeva_placer_head.jpg

Parts feeders:

zeva_feeders.jpg

Very primitive programming. I was told this was one of the first pick and place machines invented by a guy in North Carolina. It will assemble about 25 amp modules per hour.

I have switched to a super-matched transistor array for the 2510. This should make assembling those even faster since it cuts out the tedious transistor matching step.  Here is a shot of the prototype:

2510smd_proto_v2.jpg

has someone who love mechanical machines, i some how feel as though i now must have one of those: o~

Its a Zevatech Placemat 460. Got it on ePay (much as I hate to admit it, the source of all my "unusual" scientific equipment). Delivered to me from Orlando, slightly less than $1.5K plus $400 of extra feeders for a total of 30. Its built like a giant, very precise plotter. Almost all functions except the xy axis motions are run by pneumatics.

The first generations of these machines, from the early 90s are just now being taken off-line because they don't do BGAs so more will become available soon, I think. A Samsung unit with many feeders sold recently in the Chicago area for $490. I didn't get it because of the immense weight, over 1000 lbs. I need to buy a forklift off the bay.

Well you should be able to earn that money back in no time I reckon. That's ludicrously cheap really if its still reliable. Wow...

Hello Burdij!

Do you have any updates on this project??
Your work is absolutly stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How is this sweet desk coming along?

regards,
Wolfgang

Burdij true story:

I had a dream recently where my desktop inkjet printer turned into a pick and place machine, or really was always a pick and place machine, I just never noticed it. I pushed a button on the top of the printer and it went to work making me SMD 2520's. They popped out like little glistening pieces of happiness. Then my alarm when off...

Latest posts

Back