Monitor Controller Project with QRV08 Headphone amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

I wanted to knit and not design anything. I also needed the end of all headphone amps so I never have to build one again. I chose this one: http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/index.php/hifi-projects/129-qrv08-headphone-amp

In the end I could not justify building just a headphone amp so I tacked along a balanced passive (5k) attenuator for a separate XLR pass-through I/O. Sometime later I might add led metering so consider that single orange led a placeholder.

The end result is a simplified monitor controller with the ultimate headphone amp. No distortion and can melt any pair of headphones if required. Headphone amp inputs can be selected between balanced with transformer (from the XLR inputs) or separate unbalanced RCA input with or without transformer. This should have been done with a 2-deck 4-pole switch, but I could not get one on short notice so the inputs are unnecessarily selected separately for left and right. Headphone amp has a 100k input attenuator, by the way.

I still need to match input levels to the headphone amp so there is some additional attenuation needed for some of the input selectors but other than that it's done. A sharp-eyed person might notice the 4-deck Elma attenuator is built "backwards". I soldered all the four decks inverted so the attenuator would have worked the wrong way around. Luckily Elma rotaries can be configured backwards like this, losing the dust guards.

kingston-monitor-controller-web.jpg

kingston-monitor-controller-inside-web.jpg

Nice build! The HP Amp looks really interesting.
Unfortunately the schematics on the site are tiny
and thus, almost unreadable  :'(

Good to see that not everyone here is scared
of SMT and even the SOT23s!

Best,
Carsten

culteousness1 said:
Unfortunately the schematics on the site are tiny
and thus, almost unreadable  :'(

They're just an overview. You get the full versions (of every project) on any purchase. I have built his super regulators in the past and found him very trustworthy with great support. All of his stuff is the absolute top quality with provable specs and overkill implementations. His PCB's are also mechanically the highest quality possible. I found all of that very refreshing compared to the more "homely" projects and scattered documentation of this forum. Sometimes a guy just wants to knit.

tmuikku said:
There seems to be advanced Kingstonduct tm as well ;)

Yes indeed! :D

Latest posts

Back