Montreal Group buys & DIY meeting ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vertiges

Hello,

As obviously there are some of you (bluzzi, outoftune, etc.) who live in Montreal, I think it would be great to join our forces !!! :green:

For example, group buys on a regular basis like every month (mouser, par-metal, etc.) I'm tired to pay $ 35-55 for the broker fees.

We could organize meetings too :sam: , exchange our phone numbers, talking about our projects, share our experiences, make sound tests, mods tests, stuff like that... :thumb:

What do you think ?

eD)))

==========================================================================================================
:guinness: :sam: :guinness: 1st meeting !!! :guinness: :sam: :guinness:

10th of February - 7 p.m.

==========================================================================================================
:guinness: :sam: :guinness: 2nd meeting !!! :guinness: :sam: :guinness:

17th of May - 1 p.m.

yeah id be up for something along these lines...i probably won't be buying a whole lot of stuff in the near future (pretty much all my money is already tied up in half done DIY projects!) but of course there are a few things i need!

maybe we could start by seeing what part of town everyone is in....im in st henri.

id be up for a meetup or something sometime...doing some gear trying/comparisons or that kinda thing. im hoping to get my 4 channel pm1k pre running soon, id love to try it out against some other stuff. i know that NEU! had mentioned that he was gonna try and do something like this. lets make it happen!

me too!

North-Montreal.

I'm getting contact with someone who could make some cases. i'm thinking 1u and 2u and add graved front panels.

Next year we should make a Carnhill groupbuy too.

cheers.

[quote author="3nity"]I'm getting contact with someone who could make some cases. i'm thinking 1u and 2u and add graved front panels.[/quote]
interesting...keep us updated.

It would be great to have a ressource for the rack and the front pannel ingraved around Montreal !

I'm finishing my first GSSL and I did spend more time for the metal work, painting, decalq paper... than soldering the components on the PCB ! :sad: BTW, I got the racks from PAR-METAL as I couldn't find a place to buy it in Canada at a good price. If someone found one, please let me know !

eD)))

If it means anything to you, i shall soon have engraving and milling ability, just making some final decisions... :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SF Marketing(audio distributor) does laser engraving on front panels... from Montreal...I have access to this through my work, 1RU costs around $40 including the panel. They can do hole punching as well but it's not CNC, it's with a punch press/drill press.

If you can supply autocad files they can engrave it! I had a punch of 1RU panels done by them, they also make 6" x1" pieces meant for ATA case 'badges' and VGA/square cutouts if you need them. PM me if you want more info, or to see photos of a sample...

[quote author="Tungstengruvsten"]SF Marketing(audio distributor) does laser engraving on front panels... from Montreal...I have access to this through my work, 1RU costs around $40 including the panel. They can do hole punching as well but it's not CNC, it's with a punch press/drill press.

If you can supply autocad files they can engrave it! I had a punch of 1RU panels done by them, they also make 6" x1" pieces meant for ATA case 'badges' and VGA/square cutouts if you need them. PM me if you want more info, or to see photos of a sample...[/quote]

Now you tell me! Hi Mr. Tungstengruvsten!

Yes please post some picts!

jim

OK guys here are the pics (Sorry Jim, I've only been on top of this for a couple months...)

I did all the hole punching/drilling myself - I had little '+' marks where I needed to drill integrated into the engraving so it was easy to drill - no additional measuring... Again, these are not chassis, they are blank black anodized aluminum panels(Raxxess) - these are then Laser engraved which is a off-white colour - not nearly as nice as silk-screening or etching but considering the price they are great. No minimum #, better prices for 10+. I've only done it for myself and a couple customers at my work.

Check em' out:

those look pretty awesome, especially considering the price!

do they also sell the chasis, sans front panel? i am using a raxxess 2U chasis for a PM1000 project right now, it seems to be a pretty good box. bought it at studio economik in south west montreal. the guy there told me they carry 1, 2 or 3U in varying depths.

i'm pretty sure they do...I can order from the whole Raxxess catalog so anything from here: http://www.raxxess.com/ should be available.

As far as chassis' go, the only one I know of from them is pretty small - 2RU and 6" depth:
http://www.raxxess.com/product.asp?ID=430
...so not immediately useful on a lot of projects.

I know they can do up to 4RU front panels for the engraving.

outoftune,

I've had few occasions in the past to communicate with SF Marketing... The fact is : they are audio distributors and they will send you to one of their dealers like Studio Economik, Steve, etc. I mean for "normal" orders like cases...

http://www.sfm.ca/pages/proaudio/sales.htm

"Important! SF Marketing Inc. is the Canadian distributor of the lines featured on this website and therefore does not sell directly to the public. Please direct your purchase inquiries to your local dealer."

(BTW I hope it's permitted to post their link :roll: )

So maybe for the engraving stuff it's a special case...

eD)))

Back