My Observations Of The Brewery Thus Far

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recording Engineer

My observations of this brewery during my limited time here:

There is not much of any courtesy or politeness. There is almost no mirror-looking or acknowledgment of their own flaws. No one ever admits they don’t really have expertise on a subject and really only mostly talking of how they feel or just repeating what their favorite talk-heads say. No one ever apologizes. No one ever admits when they’re wrong or are being ridiculous. When being called out for being just plain-rude, no one ever faces it and instead just ignores it. There is a lot of uptightness and a real-attitude toward plain horsing-around fun.

Maybe I need to be much more of the above and my time here will be much less rough.

How has your experience been?

I would say that much of what you complain of is much of what you have been a part of. And much of it has been initiated by you.

There is no one forcing anyone into the Brewery, you can always look the other way and go to the other sub-forums, which are the true objective of GDIY

Maybe I need to be much more of the above and my time here will be much less rough.
In my opinion, you already are, in fact, you are doing it right now. Tell me that you don't know if this thread will stir up some arguments.

Also, it appears that your participation at GDIY is limited mostly to the Brewery. Taking a look at your activity since June 18, you have 47 posts, out of which 46 are in the Brewery. I would say that your time at the Brewery is not as "rough" as you want to make us believe.

I also post quite often in the Brewery, but I know what I am likely to encounter here, and I do not complain about it. If I don't like it, I can always go back to discussing audio.

Last edited:
My observations of this brewery during my limited time here:
since you are a self described new guy, you might not remember when I added this tag to the Brewery forum header.
brewery tag said:
Warning: personal attacks prohibited and will be strictly moderated

This was in response to some heated exchanges in the brewery and helped (only a little). Locking a few threads that had turned nasty also helped calm the waters some.
There is not much of any courtesy or politeness. There is almost no mirror-looking or acknowledgment of their own flaws. No one ever admits they don’t really have expertise on a subject and really only mostly talking of how they feel or just repeating what their favorite talk-heads say. No one ever apologizes. No one ever admits when they’re wrong or are being ridiculous. When being called out for being just plain-rude, no one ever faces it and instead just ignores it. There is a lot of uptightness and a real-attitude toward plain horsing-around fun.

How has your experience been?
My experience covers too long to capsulize briefly but it seems a casual reflection of modern times.

JR

PS: There is a classic line from cool hand luke movie.... " what we have here is a failure to communicate".

You got your answer @Recording Engineer : you are actually the problem. :D
Not saying he alone is the problem, we all are, but lets stop with the virtue signaling when all of us have acted like that. I agree we could be giving John less headaches, but, in the grand scheme of things, and considering this is an Internet forum, I would say that we keep it quite civil when compared to, say, Reddit.

On a positive note of recent, AnalogPackrat truly gave me some real insight of charter schools; the first person to ever do so, after years of asking around. Thank you again.

I’m sure there are many more positive things, but I’m honestly not recalling them right now.

Since we're talking books again, let me plug my favourite latest read again:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/heres-what-is-really-going-on-in-the-world.84240/
People are not confrontational at all times, but currently we are at or nearing peak discord. The reasons are structural, long-term, cyclic trends overlaying and creating these conditions. Elite-overproduction, resulting inter-elite competition, lowering of average wages vs GDP and resulting stress, demographic factors, long-term debt cycles, migration, innovation cycles... these things.

I use to make the mistake of thinking I was in a bar talking to someone I knew. You soon realize the comment you made to someone should have been a PM. Some people picks up on it personally or it’s just received as a troll comment. Sometimes I’m insulted most of the time I don’t care and move along. Irony is never picked up on like it is in person.

I use to make the mistake of thinking I was in a bar talking to someone I knew. You soon realize the comment you made to someone should have been a PM. Some people picks up on it personally or it’s just received as a troll comment. Sometimes I’m insulted most of the time I don’t care and move along. Irony is never picked up on like it is in person.
yup... people ASSume a shared understanding of comments, but as often as not, different messages are received, than sent.

Emoticons are supposed to help telegraph emotion not in dry text, but they are only partially effective.

JR

Horsing-around was canceled in 2019.

I jest.. kinda

My advice is to not take the brewery all too seriously.
That was before my time here. I started hanging-out a bit when I had more time, once Covid hit here. I flew to San Diego and went to LegoLand, Sea World, and the zoo (where my picture is from in the picture thread). Everything was business as usual. A week later, everything shutdown.

GDIY is a tame, relatively innocent player compared to the rest of the internet.

The below book gave me some insight into why people are so polarized and confrontational.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Righteous_Mind
unsurprisingly, as you rightly pointed out that i am a fairly hardcore "dostoyevskyist", i do agree with some of what haidt says here with some caveats (i think he is at times vastly oversystemizing). i don't agree with a lot of it because i don't have his biases (i have different ones) but it's a decent overview of the nature of the thing. pretty good suggestion

Last edited:
OMG seriously???

You probably missed the flame wars at GS and PSW 20 years ago...
I was knee deep in them at the time...I actually ran the "Basement" at PSW for Mixerman with Ckerian...we were polar opposites but good friends...he was the ultimate conspiracy theory guy and I was a died in the wool right wing conservative christian at the time...couldn't ask for more contrasting ideologies...and the Basement was where ALL political/religious or flame wars were mandated to reside...it was essentially the pressure relief valve for the entire forum.

I was there when George Massenburg closed his forum because of the flame wars (started by MM and his private secret forum)...

I was there then Julie the admin at GS threatened to close the entire forum because people were posting memes of kittens being murdered everytime you masterbated...

I was there when Mixerman threatened Mark Harmen (the owner of PSW)that he was going to burn down the forums because he felt he was not getting paid enough to be a moderator...ProSoundWeb never made any money from the forums, it was at the time the largest print live sound mag in the business...

My point is this...this forum is relatively tame compared to other places where differences of opinion go to die...its actually quite reasonable by design because most of the members are relatively well informed and polite.

If you want a tune to refresh the history this one pretty much sums up the entire internet fiasco we call forums...

Grand Delusion

Some of us didn't miss it all. It takes effort to allow wide ranging topic discussions and still keep discord down to a low rumble. I am proud of how well behaved the vast majority of members here are. The secret sauce is mutual respect and civility.

As longs as we keep things well damped we should experience a stable response. 🤔

JR

I'd rather be a strange attractor than a famed detractor.
Are not team politics the same as it ever was?

I know quite a few people just gave up posting and then left.
Forgive me for saying so, but I also remember a lot of perfunctory, drive-by headline linking that's gone as well.

Last edited:
Forgive me for saying so, but I also remember a lot of perfunctory, drive-by headline linking that's gone as well.
Boji, I truly like you, man; I mean it, but half of the time I don't know what are you talking about or what you are saying. I have to start googling words every time you post something and even then I still have no idea... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back