My Observations Of The Brewery Thus Far

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says the guy whose footer is in latin. ☺️ I hear you, tho. I can be obtuse, and dense. Both in the head and in writing.
Typically feel like an imposter around yall, so I overcompensate.

Says the guy whose footer is in latin. ☺️ I hear you, tho. I can be obtuse, and dense. Both in the head and in writing.
No no no, don't get me wrong. I blame it on me, not on you; I am the one who is not up to par with your amount of lexicon and depth. I am just pointing it out!

Crafting an interesting turn of phrase when communicating can reduce the boredom. Keep it up...

JR

OMG seriously???

You probably missed the flame wars at GS and PSW 20 years ago...
I was knee deep in them at the time...I actually ran the "Basement" at PSW for Mixerman with Ckerian...we were polar opposites but good friends...he was the ultimate conspiracy theory guy and I was a died in the wool right wing conservative christian at the time...couldn't ask for more contrasting ideologies...and the Basement was where ALL political/religious or flame wars were mandated to reside...it was essentially the pressure relief valve for the entire forum.

I was there when George Massenburg closed his forum because of the flame wars (started by MM and his private secret forum)...

I was there then Julie the admin at GS threatened to close the entire forum because people were posting memes of kittens being murdered everytime you masterbated...

I was there when Mixerman threatened Mark Harmen (the owner of PSW)that he was going to burn down the forums because he felt he was not getting paid enough to be a moderator...ProSoundWeb never made any money from the forums, it was at the time the largest print live sound mag in the business...

My point is this...this forum is relatively tame compared to other places where differences of opinion go to die...its actually quite reasonable by design because most of the members are relatively well informed and polite.

If you want a tune to refresh the history this one pretty much sums up the entire internet fiasco we call forums...

Grand Delusion
I remember some of that too; didn’t miss all that. Of course, if you place your bar that low… I mean that’s quite a low bar. I suppose my bar is much higher here; more of something to strive toward.

We can do much better, but not without admitting some obvious problems. Really not much admitting at all going on around here still though; mostly just more turning a blind eye and patting ourselves on our back because we’re better than a lot of other places. However, I bet that is probably more thanks to our much much smaller community and active-moderator who strives for something much better already and not really much of any thanks to us. We’d be just as much of a mess if we had true free speech in these parts and left to truly regulate ourselves.

Last edited:
In The Brewery the more ignorant you are the higher your standing among your peers.

Keep ignoring sources, facts, truth and you'll become a "leader."

One thing I know is, there are a lot of philosophers around here. Personally I keep it mainly audio related, I have been moving away from the idea of discussing life related things with the faceless masses. I wish I could not only delete my posts but threads I started, lol. Oh and I must say I have come across real hate from an old fart or two around here. They know who they are. Not that I care though, all the blackman have to do is step outside to face that shite eryday, lol. End rant. Back to regular programming.

One thing I know is, there are a lot of philosophers around here. Personally I keep it mainly audio related, I have been moving away from the idea of discussing life related things with the faceless masses. I wish I could not only delete my posts but threads I started, lol. Oh and I must say I have come across real hate from an old fart or two around here. They know who they are. Not that I care though, all the blackman have to do is step outside to face that shite eryday, lol. End rant. Back to regular programming.
if you want to delete a thread that you started you can make that request to the moderators by reporting your own first post in that thread.

I think I have done this before when requested, but not very often.

JR

I remember some of that too; didn’t miss all that. Of course, if you place your bar that low… I mean that’s quite a low bar. I suppose my bar is much higher here; more of something to strive toward.

We can do much better, but not without admitting some obvious problems. Really not much admitting at all going on around here still though; mostly just more turning a blind eye and patting ourselves on our back because we’re better than a lot of other places. However, I bet that is probably more thanks to our much much smaller community and active-moderator who strives for something much better already and not really much of any thanks to us. We’d be just as much of a mess if we had true free speech in these parts and left to truly regulate ourselves.
You're not seriously suggesting that any moderation done here is an actual infringement of free speech are you?

This feels a bit like a "trigger" conversation now...no one has had their free speech violated here...not once, not even a little...it's a public forum but hosted by private owners...it might even be a co-op I'm not sure but free speech does not even slightly apply here and anyone who thinks so has lost the narrative.

There's a world of difference between what is commonly held as "free speech" and being free to say anything you want anywhere you want...those two are not the same, not even close.

But maybe you're defining free speech with your own definition...if so, it would go against the grain of community consensus and need an explanation.

I was certainly not trying to “trigger” anyone. Perhaps I should have said rules… Rules that limit what we can say about other forms members; like name calling.

I feel too often here people purposely miss my points. Maybe I’m giving too much smart-credit. Maybe it’s just me. Go ahead. Say it’s just me; par the course here. May be true, maybe not. Regardless, I’m open to it and trying to improve. Others maybe not so much.

I was certainly not trying to “trigger” anyone. Perhaps I should have said rules… Rules that limit what we can say about other forms members; like name calling.

I feel too often here people purposely miss my points. Maybe I’m giving too much smart-credit. Maybe it’s just me. Go ahead. Say it’s just me; par the course here. May be true, maybe not. Regardless, I’m open to it and trying to improve. Others maybe not so much.
This is typical of any gathering of humans...some are easily offended, some have a habit of knee-jerk responses, some are patient, some are kind, many are unconcerned, its what we get when we play in the sandbox...

I have not followed close enough to comment on name-calling other than it is juvenile and no self respecting intellectually driven individual uses such pointless mechanisms to forward any serious discussion...once name calling is dropped so has the IQ of the participants.

I think for the most part this Forum as a whole is driven by the scientific method more than mythology (which is a bigger problem in audio than we care to admit)..the scientific method has a baked in premise that we should be correctable...

I stopped making mistakes a long time ago and shifted to discovering what doesn't work...it keeps me sane most days...at some point a smart person exhausts all the things that do not work and finds the thing that does.

If it happens too often, perhaps it is not the others who are at fault.

Perhaps. I’m open to that. However, it has only really happened (as often as it has) here with this group, with only 3-4 people; who to me, can be a bit extreme at times and usually (not always) have exhausted most of their other argumentative angles. At that point, I’m really not sure how genuine it is.

A lot of times, I feel some people focus of the details and ignore the whole picture; sometimes purposely, for their own convenience.

Sorry. Don’t know how I even managed to do that. I knew it wasn’t you.

Perhaps. I’m open to that. However, it has only really happened (as often as it has) here with this group, with only 3-4 people; who to me, can be a bit extreme at times and usually (not always) have exhausted most of their other argumentative angles. At that point, I’m really not sure how genuine it is.

A lot of times, I feel some people focus of the details and ignore the whole picture; sometimes purposely, for their own convenience.

You are quoting ME but It is not my quote...

I feel too often here people purposely miss my points. Maybe I’m giving too much smart-credit.
RE, I'm further left than you, but I have noticed that a lot of your posts come off a certain way. Think how you opened this post and the implications of it. Your allowed explanations for people's behavior here are
1. They're being mean to you on purpose.
2. They're stupid.

Few people are going to want to engage with that except for other people like you, who are drawn to arguing for the...satisfaction? excitement? of online discourse. We don't disagree on much, but you come off as a bit snooty about it at times. It's not just you, either. It's in a way that's pretty typical of, for want of a better way to put it, men that get into extensive political arguments on unrelated online hobbyist forums. There's a very specific vibe to it. This is not really a criticism of you (you are not even the 100th worst person I've seen about this) but more a...sociological observation? It's why I stick forums that have clear divisions between the hobby parts and the general parts, and usually don't post in the general parts. For a lot of men online especially, liberalism and even broader leftist politics are just a "new way for everyone else to be wrong" and not a call to any sort of meaningful change or activist praxis and I see that reflected in a lot of online arguments. What does arguing in the brewery do? What does it solve? Why is it worth expending the mental and emotional energy? Do you have passion for it?

Last edited:
RE, I'm further left than you, but I have noticed that a lot of your posts come off a certain way. Think how you opened this post and the implications of it. Your allowed explanations for people's behavior here are
2. They're stupid.

How do a lot of my posts come off? I opened this thread with my very specific observations of clear problems. There are no implications about it. My allowed explanations have not been either of those. OK, maybe mean, but certainly not just toward me. I’ve never entertained that they’re stupid. On the contrary, I may be giving more credit than I maybe should be at times; maybe a flaw of mine.

I opened this thread with my very specific observations of clear problems.
why, though? what prompted you to make observations? write them down? post them here, where it's likely the people you're talking about would be the first to see it? what does that accomplish? it's not about your motivations, it's about the underlying assumptions. the entire post is laden with assumptions. Even this sentence is based on the assumption that the problems you've posted are clear and obvious.
I’ve never entertained that they’re stupid. On the contrary, I may be giving more credit than I maybe should be at times; maybe a flaw of mine.
here, to my eyes, you say that you've never entertained that they're stupid, and then follow it up by entertaining that they're stupid. this post to me reads as "i've never though they may be stupid. maybe they are stupid, but I'm too nice of a person to think so" which is a lot to unpack.

2. They're stupid.

Few people are going to want to engage with that except for other people like you, who are drawn to arguing for the...satisfaction? excitement? of online discourse. We don't disagree on much, but you come off as a bit snooty about it at times. It's not just you, either. It's in a way that's pretty typical of, for want of a better way to put it, men that get into extensive political arguments on unrelated online hobbyist forums. There's a very specific vibe to it. This is not really a criticism of you (you are not even the 100th worst person I've seen about this) but more a...sociological observation? It's why I stick forums that have clear divisions between the hobby parts and the general parts, and usually don't post in the general parts. For a lot of men online especially, liberalism and even broader leftist politics are just a "new way for everyone else to be wrong" and not a call to any sort of meaningful change or activist praxis and I see that reflected in a lot of online arguments. What does arguing in the brewery do? What does it solve? Why is it worth expending the mental and emotional energy? Do you have passion for it?

I think this is more a reflection of how people sound online, typing out thoughts versus speaking them with obvious facial cues, tone of voice etc. . I think if we were having this same discussion in person, people would have far less assumptions about @Recording Engineer's motivation. I have known him in real life for quite a few years, and seeing some of the assumptions about what he is saying etc. is honestly kind of hilarious, because some members in the brewery misread his tone of voice and intent, and extrapolate it into crazy conclusions.

I think we often forget that reading a post can give an awfully different view than speaking to them in person.

I think this is more a reflection of how people sound online, typing out thoughts versus speaking them with obvious facial cues, tone of voice etc. . I think if we were having this same discussion in person, people would have far less assumptions about @Recording Engineer's motivation. I have known him in real life for quite a few years, and seeing some of the assumptions about what he is saying etc. is honestly kind of hilarious, because some members in the brewery misread his tone of voice and intent, and extrapolate it into crazy conclusions.

I think we often forget that reading a post can give an awfully different view than speaking to them in person.
that's kind of part of my point. this is true, so is it unreasonable to speculate that he is also doing that?

Latest posts

Back