Neat Legend on a Plastic Box

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on holiday just now but I'll dig it out when I return over the weekend. It was in one of the electronics magazines. (I am scanning the articles of interest and dumping the mags as I am short of storage.)

Dibond exists in 2mm and 3mm thick.
It is supposed to be engraved.
There's something I don't understand in the instructable.
He seems to use the material only as a metallic backdrop for the printing, so I don't see a need for a laminate material.
Then, he says he uses a piece of the same material to cover and protect the print, which would imply it to be transparent.
Something doesn't fit.

Two sources for engraving blanks:
https://gamma-tec.fr/toutes-nos-matieres/
https://abaqueplast.fr/125-matieres-plastiques

Assuming an horrendously powerful laser is not required, this could be suitable for DIY.
Do you already have a laser engraver?
My experiments with laser engraving have been disappointing so far, up to the point I sold my machine (Atomstack 5 Pro with 40W IR head).
I'm curious to see what you can achieve.
So far my best results have been with printable vinyl sticker paper and an inkjet printer.
I was concerned about the durability but it has not been a real issue.
The only limitation is contrast that is not stunning.

Do you already have a laser engraver?

Not yet.
My experiments with laser engraving have been disappointing so far, up to the point I sold my machine (Atomstack 5 Pro with 40W IR head).

Hmmm, not very encouraging
I'm curious to see what you can achieve.
So far my best results have been with printable vinyl sticker paper and an inkjet printer.
That is where I am right now
I was concerned about the durability but it has not been a real issue.
Durability was an issue for me but that may well be just buying cheap vinyl print paper. Years ago I used the same technique for making warning labels and the material I had then was very durable

Cheers

Ian

Durability was an issue for me but that may well be just buying cheap vinyl print paper. Years ago I used the same technique for making warning labels and the material I had then was very durable
Hre are the instructions for the vinyl I use.
instructions.jpg
I may have serendipitiously ticked all the cases...
I don't even know if my substitute ink cartridges are pigment or dye. I'm sure they're not UV.

The paper I used recently has similar but not identical advice. It says:

1. To improve durability use UV ink and apply clear acrylic sealer
2. Best results are obtained at 23 degrees Celsius and RH50%
3. Recommended printer paper type selection: Matte Photo Paper

Then there is some other advice about avoiding smudging. Apparently the paper is waterproof but inks often are not.

Cheers

Ian

The paper I used recently has similar but not identical advice. It says:

1. To improve durability use UV ink and apply clear acrylic sealer
Can you use UV ink in your printer? I don't think I can.
3. Recommended printer paper type selection: Matte Photo Paper
This looks like a major difference.
I believe the main difference is that printing on Matte uses more ink than printing on Glossy.
However, my prints seem to be firmly set into the vinyl surface. Actually, the aspect is not very shiny.

Can you use UV ink in your printer? I don't think I can.
Not as far as I know. It is a regular HP all in one.
This looks like a major difference.
I believe the main difference is that printing on Matte uses more ink than printing on Glossy.
However, my prints seem to be firmly set into the vinyl surface. Actually, the aspect is not very shiny.
I recently needed to attach a No Entry sign to our front gate while the new path he had laid dried out. I used the HP printer and glossy photo paper. It rained overnight and I fully expected the ink to have run but it was perfectly intact.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back