Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin,
you need a load for the voltage to come down to what it should be. That all sounds right, though i think my B+ was a bit higher

wanted to say that the Telefunken finally quieted down after a number of days. this makes me happy! I am still on the lookout for some other EF86's.
Man, those NOS high end Tele tubes are BIG bucks(hilunum)

Hello, here are some pictures of my PSU for reference. I used the Hammond enclosure included in the BOM, so the real estate was limited, however the overall size of the enclosure is quite nice. The L bracket technique was very useful, thanks to the terrebonne pics in the build folder. I used a terminal strip for the power connections, which made things a bit cleaner. The PSU seems to be working fine, although I don't have a complete mic with which to test. Yes, I put knobs on the trim pots ha. I felt sorry for them, all exposed. Anyway, I welcome any criticisms of my build and techniques, as I'm always looking to learn. Thanks.

-Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 155
Also, I'm still a bit unclear as to the mic cable connections. On the male end of the mic cable, I have the shield connected to pin 3, but what about the female side? Should it also connect to pin 3? In this case, it wouldn't be connected to anything since I don't have pin 3 connected in the mic. Is this right?

Or should I connect the shield on the female side of the mic cable to pin 3 and on the 7-pin XLR insert, solder a jumper from pin 3 to the ground pin, so it connects to the mic body?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Your build is looking really nice dudeguy.

For the ground layout I followed poctops instructions, and once I got it right the mic was silent.

Cable has the shield connect to pin 3 on both sides:
3 - shield - 3
mic:
pin 3 connects to board

Dgoszillai, I'm glad to help. Best of luck on your build.

Dmp, thanks for the kind words and, once again, thanks for clarifying.

I'll post some more pics of my actual mic for reference. Chunger's donor bodies are great, btw.

-Kevin

Mic cable - showing the braided shield connected to pin 3 on both ends. The black lead was clipped and white heat shrink added just to be clean/safe. This goes along with Dan's GAC-7 cable diagram in the build folder. Hope this helps.

-Kevin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 89
Thinking of pushing the button on one $165.00 NOS Telefunken EF 806s tube.
And I need two. I've used the best of everything so far. Do I skimp on the tube?
Any other suggestions?

Winetree said:
Thinking of pushing the button on one $165.00 NOS Telefunken EF 806s tube.
And I need two. I've used the best of everything so far. Do I skimp on the tube?
Any other suggestions?
IMO if you've gone high end with everything else, you might as well go high end with the tube! What kind of capsule are you using?

Dave

Latest posts

Back