Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, thanks Dan. As I said, they're not particularly well recorded samples, but you can hear clear differences between the capsules. Particularly the bottom end is very different between all three, and there's a peakiness that happens in some of them but not others.

thanks to Dan i got a nice pair of mxl 2010 for my u87 clone:

mc1.JPG

mc2.JPG

mc3.JPG

atticmike said:

58d1402a03e9a.jpg

mc2.JPG

58d0281993924.jpg

What is the rail to rail dimension in this one, it is nice switching but the rail does not seem to be taper as opposed to many other one,

might the large on fit better ?

Dan,

poctop said:
atticmike said:

mc1.JPG

mc2.JPG

mc3.JPG

What is the rail to rail dimension in this one, it is nice switching but the rail does not seem to be taper as opposed to many other one,

might the large on fit better ?

Dan,

you are right dan, but it is yet narrowing down from top to the bottom including holes at the far edges. Gotta figure out how to mount the tapper or may be yet switch to your big pcb. gonna take a few pics in a second.

Let me know the dimension rail to rail also,
There is also all the dimension in a link on the WM for all the pcb ,
D

poctop said:
Let me know the dimension rail to rail also,
There is also all the dimension in a link on the WM for all the pcb ,
D

looks like the other pcb is not gonna roll as well:

mc4.JPG

mc5.JPG

But the body is yet so formidable, not to mention the awesome headgrill, quite like it a lot.

Finally getting around to finishing this off/biasing.

I see no connection/trace on the PCB (B1) from the GG header to the gate (middle leg) of the FET. I see no connection on the PCB to the gate at all actually...?

kevinkace said:
Finally getting around to finishing this off/biasing.

I see no connection/trace on the PCB (B1) from the GG header to the gate (middle leg) of the FET. I see no connection on the PCB to the gate at all actually...?

this is where the isolation pin goes and the Gate pin of the FET transistor is floating from this point to board B2
have a look in the read me first xls there is a picture there ,
Let me know if this helps,
D

poctop said:
this is where the isolation pin goes and the Gate pin of the FET transistor is floating from this point to board B2
have a look in the read me first xls there is a picture there ,
I see now, thanks! I had all three legs of the FET in the PCB. I'm moving the center leg to the pin (a nice test point I see).

I was using google docs to view the xlsx, and the images weren't showing, so I tried Skydrive with success.

Ok, I've flipped through this thread looking for some of the same problems but I can't really find any. The main problem I'm having is a buzzing noise. I don't hear it until I turn up the gain. Which, by the way takes a lot. Is this normal? I have to turn up my preamp almost all of the way. That's when I hear the noise. Now, during performance it isn't noticeable, it's just in the quiet parts. I biased my fet using a scope and I got even clipping. Can it be over biased? Is there such a thing? I am completely lost here. Any thoughts from the people smarter than me?

Cgaines said:
Ok, I've flipped through this thread looking for some of the same problems but I can't really find any. The main problem I'm having is a buzzing noise. I don't hear it until I turn up the gain. Which, by the way takes a lot. Is this normal? I have to turn up my preamp almost all of the way. That's when I hear the noise. Now, during performance it isn't noticeable, it's just in the quiet parts. I biased my fet using a scope and I got even clipping. Can it be over biased? Is there such a thing? I am completely lost here. Any thoughts from the people smarter than me?

what are your reference voltage including the Drain voltage and source resistor ,
seems like you have a problem , have you seen the actual non-symetrical somewhere while increaseing slowly the voltage to the drain ? what is your transfo and capsule ?  how much Db did you have too gain the mic ,
50-60Db or more 90db, have you check on the pcb for cold xlr pin3  hot xlr-pin2  gnd xlr-pin 1 at the input just
dont be confused with the generic pin number on the pcb. can you measure your FET IDSS ?
hope this help
Dan,

And also, how much effort did you put in to cleaning the high impedance part of the circuit? I fount that the first pair I made were MUCH noisier before I made the effort to thoroughly clean them.

I let a friend borrow the mic to see what he thought about it. So I'll have to get it back and measure it again. Seems like I was getting around 13v at the fet and the resistance was around 14k. As far as the gain I'd say on male vocals I was pushing around 50db of gain.

guys, is there actually a purpose of the caps and resistors on the top plate where the switches sit? I guess not? Since everything comes from the new boards?

mc4.JPG

Look for Kante1603 post with the print method he has gone on this point very well in the thread,
hope this helps, or maybe look at his post directly he had really good talks about those as i think they are the same as in the beringer B2 pro,

Hope this helps,
D

atticmike said:
guys, is there actually a purpose of the caps and resistors on the top plate where the switches sit? I guess not? Since everything comes from the new boards?

Attic,
I built one in an ISK BM-600 donor body which had caps and resistors on the switchboard. I removed them all as they are not needed for the build. You just need the switches and pads to solder your switch wires to.

Dave

Was anybody yet able to figure out which transformer sounds best with this build?

How about pelusos transformers actually?

I mean, regardless of the fact that their capsules metalwork was done in china, the u67 sounds damn close to the original.

*edit* Fuck it, I got the t13 after all since I heard they delivered the old character best. Excited to hear them with eric's capsule. Gonna post samples here.

Mike,

The transformer chioce is all up to you and your budget, I havent heard the Peluse TX but I have heard both the ami and the cinemag ones and they both sound great but different. The cinemag is a bit less vintage sounding than the ami. But keep in mind the differences are very small.

Eric

Latest posts

Back