Neve 1290 build completed!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having problems getting quotes for the Grayhill. Where did any of you get yours? (PCB mount version).

jim

Hi Jim,

I order 71BDF30-03-1-AJN from Arrow Electronics.

EDIT: www.audiomaintenance.com now has these switches in stock and at a much lower price. Part # GR-03-001

M.

OK, I just got a call from Allied and have ordered the part (4-6 wks delivery).
Great service from there by the way.

Now I can go ahead and order all the other parts for the 1290 from Digikey.
They have the semis as well so I can get everything from one place (except the Grayhill)

Now I can start looking at power supplies!

jim

I'm sick today so I'm havin' a ball cruisin' the web.

Like I said I'm ready to look at power supplies and I have the JLM in mind as well as the fivefish one.

Anyone have preferrence?

Oh yes I forgot to mention, I'm putting 2 1290s in the same case as 2 Great River pres.

jim

Similar question, although I'm doing an 8 channel version. What toroid do I need and can I use a single JLM ACDC to power 8 of these? If not, how can I do it?

thanks guys,
Sig

EDIT - Will a Seventh Circle PS03 work for 8 channels? Seems it would, as it does on those pres. It's a tad expensive, but it is a good PSU for sure. Any thoughts?

For two channels I really like the JLM ACDC supplies, but I remote mount the Vregs to a large external TO-3 heatsink to keep them cool. This also keeps heat away from all the electrolytic caps. For my 8 channel unit I actually used 4 ACDC's (1 ACDC per 2 channels). This is a bit more work, but it works out well and has quite a few advantages.

If you don't want to bother with building 4 PSU's for an 8ch unit, a pre-made 24V, 4-6A supply might be the ticket. Something like this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=179-2333-ND

note: I haven't actually used or tested this supply. Does anyone have any preferences and/or recommendations for a PSU?

48V can be provided with a simple (but clean) 500mA-1A supply.

All the best,

M.

I suppose you are using one transformer right?

I think this is a better idea then having one larger PSU. I think I am going to go for this. I'll mount in the case with my 4 pres though. Its a 3RU so I have plenty of room. If there is hum I'll move the PSU to an outside box.

One last thing....whyle I'm ordering the units from JLM what do any of you think about the Go-Between and the Active DI kits?

I think maybe a Active DI kit on the Great River would be good. I don't think I need the Go-Betweens as I rarely use a PAD (I prefer to use it on the mike), phase reverse is handy but its real easy to do.

The EZ1290 has no accomodation for any of this so are any of you rolling your own or buying the kits?

jim

Hi Jim,

I'm actually using four transformers - each with their own fuse.

I think you might get some hum pickup with the toroid inside the case. I recommend mounting it externally, but if it HAS to go inside, be sure to cover it with a mu-metal shield and mount it FAR away from anything audio.

Go betweens seem like a very elegant solution for adding extra features to a basic mic pre.

Take care,

M.

I'll be mounting the 4 pres vertically and close to each other on the left side. I'm using a 3RU case that is quite deep. The xfr will go totally at the right back as far away from the boards.

If it hums then I'll consider MU shielding or exteral mounting of PS.

I'm still not decided on what PS kit ot get. I've posted in the GR MP-2 build thread asking opinions.

I'd like to use 1 transformer feeding 2 power supplies (1 for each pair of pres).

The Fivefish PSU kit goes to 25v max. Do you think the 1290 will sound the same at 25v instead of 30v?

Just want to be sure here before I commit to an order.

jim

Hi Jim,

I'd recommend against running the 1290's at 30V - stick with the original Neve spec of 24V. I think a "JLM Power Station" would suit you well. This way you can have your +24, +/-30, and +48 all from one supply.

All the best,

M.

No I was going to power the 1290 at 24v. Its the MP-2 that can use 30v.

I didn't think of the JLM Power Station! I thought 1 side went to 24v, another to 48v and the 3rd went to 18v only. If it indeed can supply my needs I'll get that one. Thanks for bringing it up.

jim

Just finished stuffing the resistors tonight.

R7 is 1W on board and 1/2W in BOM (Digikey #47H-ND).

Is it OK to use the 1/2W?

jim

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure.

As I was soldering the EZ-1290 I was thinking that I should have ordered more than 2 PCBs from you!

Will you be doing another run at some point?

jim

Hi everybody !

look at that ! : http://www.soundskulptor.com/uk/mp73.html

It seems to be very interesting, only $380 for a Neve 1290/1073 preamp .. expecting it is as close as possible from the original design ... what do you think about it ? does it interesting ?

You mean $467 U.S.?

However they do look very good. The Seven Circle ones are similar and better priced at $329 ($138 less), but they do not include a peak LED and some other little improvements. Also Seventh Circle has a preamps that start at $79!

The Soundskulptor boxes and faceplates look way better though if that matters to you. I also like their power supplies better but again they are way overpriced (you don't have to buy theirs though)

If someone came up with some nice EQ and compressor kits it would be great as I think that is what is missing right now. Something with some nice switchable frequency centers (or variable) LP and HP filters in there.

jim

There is a possibility that we could start stocking the Grayhill 12 way triple gang PCB mount switches (71BDF30-03-1-AJN)

It would turn out about GBP 14.30 (+freight and VAT [if applicable]).

Any interest ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Latest posts

Back