Neve 1290 build completed!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Colin - Problem is that most of us already have bought the switches. There would have to be another run of the EZ-1290 boards for it to be viable for you.

There is also the 1073 thread but I believe their switches are solder lug type. You're already stocking their inductors but many are stuck on sources for the 1073 switches.

However there may be another run of the EZ-1290 soon!

Thanks for stocking the transformers by the way. Mine came a few weeks ago and they look and smell great!

jim

Hi Phazinhead,

Projects like the Soundsculptor MP73 or the SCA N72 are the exact reason why I started my EZ1290 project about 2 years ago. I didn't want something that doesn't follow the original component layout (call me superstitious), use an OP transistor other than 2N3055, build a "cranked" 1272, "improve" upon the sound of a stock 1073, etc, etc. My design criteria for the EZ1290 were: building an exact clone of a 1073 mic pre while using the least amount of effort and funds. It's been a fun, sometimes tedious, project.

Colin, it would be tremendous of you to stock the Grayhill 3X12's! Grayhill is so slooooooow to deal with (nice company otherwise). The price you quoted is very reasonable - gotta love economies of scale. :green:

Take care,

M.

[quote author="Slenderchap"]There is a possibility that we could start stocking the Grayhill 12 way triple gang PCB mount switches (71BDF30-03-1-AJN)

It would turn out about GBP 14.30 (+freight and VAT [if applicable]).

Any interest ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com[/quote]

Hi colin that would have been great but M ordered some for me.
so lots of thanks to him for the switches and the PCBs.

but if they work out well and the boards are still available i might build some more in the future.

Colin,

I'm interested in the switches also.
I haven't ordered parts for my boards yet as finding the switches is difficult, especially if one is not near the supplier. As a consequence, I have been following this thread with great interest.

Craig

[quote author="Slenderchap"]There is a possibility that we could start stocking the Grayhill 12 way triple gang PCB mount switches (71BDF30-03-1-AJN)

It would turn out about GBP 14.30 (+freight and VAT [if applicable]).

Any interest ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com[/quote]

Just for the sake of discussion, what would you charge for shipping to the US for these switches?

I ask, as i just priced some Carnhill outputs to the US.

$100 for shipping? Wow.....

Maybe i'll get the Greyhills from Digikey, i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a $100 shipping cost for under 10 pounds of weight.

Hi adoucette,

It is a very simple design, and the 2ch unit pictured at the top of this thread wasn't very expensive to build. I think it was about $300/ch. This unit was quite a bit pricier to build however:
http://www.musiciansgig.com/neeb/1frontpanel.jpg

You can read more about it here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22828&start=0

Gwaggin that's pretty steep on the shipping. Colin, are those prices correct? Carnhill UK charged me $70 to ship 9 VTB9045, and 9 VTB9049, but I got MURDERED on the unit prices at those small quantities.

Later,

M.

yup, the online store says 48gbp for shipping which translates to about $100
which is ridiculous for 8 transformers.
They weigh about a pound each?

please tell me thats a mistake. Shipping to eastern US (Ma.)???

The store calculates the shipping based on the actual cost of postage;

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/Price_Guide_FINAL_26Jan07.pdf

Unfortunately at 0.5kg each you will end up at that value for the postage.

The max weight for airmail is 2 kg (which costs GBP 24.22 to the USA)... so it would be 2 x 2Kg boxes = 48.44 (and then the store rounds it up a few pence).

If the same package were sent by UPS it would probably be even more.... I don't know how we can make it cheaper... but if you know then tell me.

I'll ask Carnhill how they do it.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

well, i emailed Carnhill first, for any US distributors, and they referred me to you, who i was already aware of.

If you are in England, and they are in England, and the guy who referred me to you spoke of it being a "new thing" for them.
(i'm assuming he meant "Non direct sales")
Why not just have them drop ship the stuff directly until you all can figure out something that makes shipping sense(outside the UK).

If Martin only paid $70 for 18 pieces....

The more affordable the product is, the more, and more likely it is, that people will buy.....

[quote author="Gwaggin390"]

Just for the sake of discussion, what would you charge for shipping to the US for these switches?
[/quote]

Don't know the weight of the switches but guessing that they are the same as an ITT rotary switch it would be GBP 5.95..... but you could probably get 4-5 of them in the same box and it would still be GBP 5.95

There would probably be no difference in postage cost if you added one to a package containing the transformers for the 1290

I was going to order these switches for the forum members this morning but if you are telling me that it is not worth while....?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

For your 8 output transformers, the only other service that I could find is "surface mail" (goes on a boat)..... that would reduce the shipping costs to about GBP 28.00 but has a scheduled delivery aim of 56 days.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Hi Colin, Thanks for checking out the different shipping options and making the switches available! What would Fedex cost? I think Carnhill used Fedex when they shipped to me.

Thanks,

M.

I was thinking of possibly using your board to build a 1073. Presently I am favoring Chris Vallejo's version using 1 board for parts and 1 for switches (except for gain) but Chris states there are some errors but not what they are. I looked at his switch pcb and I can't figure out why it differs from the neve drawing.

The other way would be to build 1 board holding BA211, BA205 and BA182c.
If I'm not mistaken that is all that is missing from the EZ1290 to turn it into a full 1073.

So I'm also thinking of taking those 3 boards and incorporating them into 1 that would connect to the EZ1290. This would be handy for others as well I think.

jim

Jim, someone had the idea a while ago. but i don't think anyone ran with it.
I think Martin said the EQ could easily be "cut in" to the 1290 board.

I'm a beginner PCB designer but was going to noodle around with it.
The EQ board is just the EQ parts with 2 gain stages(does the 1084 have 3?)
it doesn't seem to be too hard to translate into a board that would be complimentary to Martins, except for maybe the multideck switches.

The 1073 uses a 284 card for the gain in the EQ. The 284 has 3 gain stages on the card. If i interpret the schematic correctly, the first is part of the micpre, and the second and third stages(which appear identical)
are used in the EQ. They are basic gain stages and easily reproduced on a pcb. The layout of the the gain stage is on Martins board i believe.

I've been futzing around with a Quad8 type eq, which has inductors, stepped gain , and rotary freq. selector controls, but all the switching is single deck, single pole, and it's a bit more straightforward than the 1073

Latest posts

Back