Neve 1290 build completed!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gwaggin390 - the more I think of it the more Madriaanse's board mating with another one makes sense.

Its just a matter of tapping into the EZ1290. If you look at the 3 boards for the EQ there isn't much to it. What I could do is take existing layouts and just use the same in a larger layout. All I would need to do is to figure out the traces for interconnection. Actually if one wanted to be real lazy then just physically put the 3 layouts in 1 board with all current interconnect and just use jumpers or wire where needed.

audioforge's groupbuy has taken off but I really want an easy and cheaper solution as well as maybe contributing something here.

jim

by the way I looked up my cost for 4 Carnhills plus some tools from Audiomaintenance and it was about $39. I don't think that was too bad.

We need to establish a source for domestic iron either cinemag , jensen , edcor, crimson, Aurora Audio or anything to make iron a bit cheaper for projects like this.

Carnhill is nice but shipping kills the deal. Might as well source NOS marinair iron here locally for those prices.

Luckily, I bought my carnhill Iron 5 years ago when Dallas at Vintech was distributing Carnhill iron , it was still affordable at that time.

Oliver at tabfunkenwerk is producing the LO1166 output transformers and he might be talked into doing the Input 10468 as well , we'll see....

http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/

I need to purchase 2 Grayhill switches. I've checked out the Grayhill website and it seems as if the part number has changed to 71BDF30-03PAJN. Does that seem right to anyone? :?

Adam

The correct part is 71BDF30-03-1-AJN.... I have ordered a batch of these and they should be in stock in a few weeks time ..... they will be GBP 14.30 each

Price excludes freight and VAT [if applicable]

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Colin's P/N is the correct one.

This part is usually 6-8 wks waiting. Its worth getting it from Colin. Price will run you about the same.

jim

Well I guess I will wait for the switches to come in at Audio Maintenance because I will be purchasing them as well as Carnhill output iron and can combine the shipping. Colin, will you announce to this thread when the switches come in?

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. Martin, how could I wire an output trim to these boards?

I would definitely be in for at least 4 switches.

Colin can you keep me informed as to when you have them in stock?

thanks,

-rich

[quote author="Slenderchap"]The Grayhill 3 gang switch should now be available from our store in about 8 weeks....

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com[/quote]

is this 8 weeks as in mid JAN?

i want 8, if it is can i pop over and pick them up when available, i dont mind the drive from Bolton to get there :grin:

Iain

ok, i admit it, i did a quick flit through the pages and saw the post, got excited and did a reply before getting all the way to the end :oops:

still want 8 though ...

build is going pretty smoothly.. question about the trim pot. you suggest high quality pots. not sure what to go with here. i assume alpha is cheap and noisy are alps or bourne considered high quality? anything else?

thanks

Hi Buschfsu,

I would look for Penny&giles, P.E.C., Spectrol/Vishay. Anything less than that would be a waste IMHO. No sense in putting KIA brakes on a Murciélago. Better yet, don't use a trimmer. :thumb:

M.

Hey Martin!

I'm building a pair of EZ1290, and I would like to know if there is any problem to use the Mntas's little PSU to power both units... changing the LM337 by another LM317 of course, letting me obtain +48 and +24. Well, just another question... need I to build the PSU outside the Preamp box as your did?... or if I try to build inside may cause problems like noise on the unit's sound (50Hz). Did you build outside only to power your 8 units? is that correct? or is there something else? Happy 2008

Thanks a lot!!
Cheers :guinness:

Eddie :thumb:

Hi Eddie,

That looks like it could work with the right transformer, but I think you'll be better off with a JLM ACDC. Whichever route you go, be sure to "remote mount" the LM317's and use some oversize heatsinks.

Definitely put the power transformer outside the box, actually a couple of feet away from the box, to avoid hum pickup.

M.

Hey Martin!

Ok, I'll try to build the PSU by myself... the JLM's boards come from Australia and it will take a lot of time to arrive here in Portugal... Here's the Eagle's File (.sch) PSU.ZIP for the PSU... I'm trying to do a single sided board, but it´s a little bit difficult for me... If someone could help I'll apreciate :grin: anyway I'll keep on trying, but I know I'm kinda newbie with this software :?
I'm using a toroid transformer with 25 0 25 (50VA), I'll take your advise to put the transformer away from the main box, hehehehe... anyway, thanks a lot for all your suport!

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie :thumb:

Infuriatingly, they have just added 3 weeks to the delivery schedule and are now saying 8th Feb.... I have complained and they will "see what can be done".

Will keep you updated.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

I order my switches from Arrow way back in mid October.
Still nothing!!

These switches although making it easier to do the project are not a good solution anymore if we can't get them.

Any other suggestions?
I want to hear my 1073!

-ChuckD

Back