Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, seems to be pretty strong interest.

I am going to reshuffle some stuff, and get this going.

I am a vintage service tech - I try to spend time at the bench, so the forums are not that familiar to me.

I don't even know how to PM you guys that were inquiring.

PM me, and I will get this going.

As far as the three people that have already posted for the small knobs as well, I didn't mention $$ on those.

They are used so if AMS-NEVE wants 23 Pound UK for each new, I am thinking $55.00 US a pair, or $30.00 ea

The two NOS ones I want $50.00 a piece for.

Plus shipping and handling and 4% Paypal fee, of course.

I have a long term client that likely wants a pair of knobs either the NOS or a pair of used, so he has first dibs, I will be talking to him later, to confirm.

Everyone else PM me, first come first served. I have Paypal. If you PM me make sure you are commited to pay, if I respond that I still have some. I do not hang around the computer all day, so please be patient. I will get back to everyone.

Regarding the BC184 package. I messed up the math, and forgot the extra transistors for the additional 284 gain stage. Too used to quoting for 1272's I guess.

Sorry to have inconvenienced anyone. I hope you guys will let it slide, it was 4 in the morning.

I have to ask a firm price of $18.00 for the BC184C kit, that is why I termed it thinking of in my previous post.

All prices and Paypal payments in US currency.

Thanks, and have a DIY day.

James

I really want to avoid hijacking this thread anymore than I have so let's keep the BC184C thing PM from now on, okay?

Unfortunately, I went to my climate controlled storage, and dug up the knobs.

They are the only 1/4" shaft versions of these I have seen, at least I thought they were mostly 1/8" - it has been a while on these as they don't show up on channel amp modules. The new Neve ones are 1/8"

All of them even the NOS ones. Which are in original stapled shut bag, but no Neve P/N on them like a lot of my other NOS Neve bits from that haul. The NOS ones are something to look at. Untouched from early to mid 70's.

I am very sorry to have got all your hopes up, and then let you down because I messed up. I feel silly.

The BOM is for an 1/8" shaft. The panel hole is for a bezel for a pot with a 1/8" shaft. I don't even know if you can get 1/4" shafts in a 9mm square pot. (think maybe) Sounds like a kettle of something, although by all means DIY if you want.

They are still available, if anyone wants them for a different project with 1/4" shafts. Price stays the same.

I am still doing the BC184C package thing.

PM me with your needs.

Thanks guys, and really sorry about the mix up, and I am sure let down. 

jrowell said:
I don't even know how to PM you guys that were inquiring.
I PM'ed you after you first posted, but you can reach me at the email in my profile if you are having trouble with the PM feature.

Thanks,
Chris

I realized I posted an HFE spec of above 400 for the selected two that go in the front positions on the 283 front amp and the 284 amp.

It is an Hfe of 600 or above.

They are tested and selected for above 600.

The rest that I have all have healthy Hfe, most above 400.

The first transistor on the BA283NV pre amp section (3 BC184C's total) should be above 600, and the first transistor in the 284 pre amp section (3 BC184C's total) should be above 600 for best noise performance.

The other positions do not matter but using high Hfe, of which all my BC184C's are helps keep the noise down even more.

It is to control input noise.

Built and restored some very quiet BA283AV and BA284's with this in mind.

If you use straight BC184's it will not have the noise performance of a Neve.

The first BC184C on the output amp BA283AM does not need to be low noise, as this is a lower gain application.

Search for this on Google

0283-allvers.pdf

click on the first link that comes up

very good info here, study the schematic if you want to trace the signal flow through. And the schematic of the NV73.

Thanks

onlymeeee said:
Glad the UK parcels FINALLY got there... won't be using that company again!

Get going! Excited to see them all being built !
I bet! it looks like really nice work, and i'm very happy they arrived safely.
you should be proud David :)
I'm in no rush to stuff them tho as i wont be getting the iron for two months...

speaking of which, although some here are way ahead in terms of knowledge and progress on the NV73 build requirements, I hope you do keep on top of the manual and 'tips', adding relevant build information if and when it comes up. you took the time to make a great layout and present the website well too. i hope to use that as an idiots guide when my transformers arrive, regardless of whether i think i know what i'm doing or not! :)

Not sure where to put this, so I will do it here.

Is anyone getting the TDK/Lambda DC-DC converter?

If  someone is doing so & can get an extra one & ship it to me I would be eternally greatful.

Thanks, Peter

BTW or local agent insisted that he could only get 10 at a time for $45 EACH! 

kepeb said:
onlymeeee said:
Glad the UK parcels FINALLY got there... won't be using that company again!

Get going! Excited to see them all being built !
I bet! it looks like really nice work, and i'm very happy they arrived safely.
you should be proud David :)
I'm in no rush to stuff them tho as i wont be getting the iron for two months...

speaking of which, although some here are way ahead in terms of knowledge and progress on the NV73 build requirements, I hope you do keep on top of the manual and 'tips', adding relevant build information if and when it comes up. you took the time to make a great layout and present the website well too. i hope to use that as an idiots guide when my transformers arrive, regardless of whether i think i know what i'm doing or not! :)

No problemo.. definately have plans to keep the website up to date with stuff ...  feel free to ask questions and I can add them to the FAQ too. 

In regard to DC-DC converter,  I approached TDK/Lambda directly last week and they were happy to quote me for 10. (£11 each ish - 1 week lead time)  So possibility for group buys per continent that route? 

As it turns out, I ordered with Digikey as their backorder for them is only a week anyway.. so that's probably best (didn't order any spares stupidly! Or I could have sent you one)

On the input transformer board, I see in the video that it looks like you unscrew one screw from the transformer and use it to mount the board to the transformer. Do you leave the other screw off (under the 7-pin header), or do you sit the board down on top of this other screw?

Neil said:
On the input transformer board, I see in the video that it looks like you unscrew one screw from the transformer and use it to mount the board to the transformer. Do you leave the other screw off (under the 7-pin header), or do you sit the board down on top of this other screw?

I leave it off.  Otherwise may short something.  And it's not integral to the transformer staying together or anything.  Also the other screw, make sure you don't overtighten.. especially after you have soldered the pins to pcb

Ok thanks! One more thing, on the BOM for the header on the same board it looks like you have p/n 535-06-0513-10T, which is  a female to male 6-pin header. Shouldn't it be something which is a male to male 7-pin, so you can solder it into the board, like p/n 535-07-0600-20? Or am I missing something?

Neil said:
Ok thanks! One more thing, on the BOM for the header on the same board you have p/n 535-06-0513-10T, which is  a female to male 6-pin header. Shouldn't it be something which is a male to male 7-pin, so you can solder it into the board, like p/n 535-07-0600-20?

The 535-06-0513-10T is for transistor sockets  (theres 9 in a row, so you could use a 9 pin but couldnt find any (so I use a 6 and a 3.)

For the input transformer, use 7 pins of the gold pins. Then the green screw in terminal 7 pin as it's mate on the main PCB 

Unless I'm misinterpreting the question?

No, that was it. It looks like I am missing the gold pins. I'll have a look around and see what I can scrounge up from the parts bin. Thanks!!

It's come to my attention that something has happened to the mouser baskets linked on my site....
the +-16V version at the top used to be £55 ish and now is at £46?! Without me touching anything!

Will have to investigate this ... so beware before you make a mouser order  

The googledoc one will be right however.  You just need to copy paste the part number column and quantity in one go  .. into the EZbuy bom import tool

Neil said:
No, that was it. It looks like I am missing the gold pins. I'll have a look around and see what I can scrounge up from the parts bin. Thanks!!

I used resistor legs at first before I became too lazy hah!  Bit more work.. but you save yourself a half pint of a beer I guess?!

Hi David / all.

Can some one tell me where to find R11A 33K on the main PCB? ive looked and looked and i cant find it! driving me crazy...

if there is a pic of the silk screens that would be much apprciated too.

best
Pete

Back