Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
self appointed lockwasher sheriff here; star goes between inner nut and flat washer on the back, so as not to dig into the front.
but what one does with their nuts and a washer is a personal affair. 

Build looks good , nice

Does your country run on the class system ?
because you should ask yourself what putting the washer
on the outside would do to you ,
just saying , that's all

I'm torn between building a 1290 and an API 312 - can anyone describe the difference in tone between the two?  Are there any example clips online at all?

Thanks a lot!

you'll eventually want them both
the 312 may be a little cheaper and easier
to start with , but search there's a few
kits & boards offered . Google my friend
both are transformer coupled [ but different manfactures ]
this thread is for a 500 series rack type module

Hi guys,
sorry sto hijack your thread onlymee,
but i can't post anymore in my feeler thread for marconi knobs,
i've succeeded in modifying my first post and i put an estimated price,
you can contact me via PM or post in the thread,
i will try to contact everybody
regards,
francois

looking good.
about them washers... :D

nah, i just wondered, i've not started yet but does anyone have a max current draw measurement from an nv73 yet? i would guess its the +- the same if it's 16 or 24v rail powered?

ta.

@Paavo..  Looks great!! .. love seeing finished modules!!!

In regards to  Api 512 vs Neve 1290:  my take on it is... for anything where I want 'punch', the 512s are unbeatable.  And anything I want 'smooth, warmth' the 1290 is unbeatable.  So as stated... you need both! 

@Pacemaker.. no apology necessary! I love the 'old market' vibe this thread takes on every now and again!

Max current draw is around 123mA on turn on with +-16V.
24V rail is less but haven't got my numbers on it at hand...

Hi Guys,

Is it me, but do the Neve Marconi knobs fit OK on the Grey-hill switch? my shaft is just too short for the grub screw to catch, perhaps its the type of norb im using but it looks pretty standard.

Any one else had the same issue?

Best
Pete

Hey Pete,
are you fitting the nut?  I don't fit the nut on.  With the 39 soldered legs and the switch's close proximity to the metal work, it's extremely strong without the nut.  I've done a descruction test and could not brake the switch by hand strength. (throwing it about by the shaft, pulling etc.) Even when a soldering iron was added to the mix I couldn't actually break it.  Also I think the little 'play' in the PCB helps more than a nut would. 
The front panel gets held on enough by the other two nuts on the phantom and output pot.  (and then obviously when you're screwed into the lunchbox, it's all good)
If you really want a nut on the gain switch, you could drill out the front panel so the nut can sit flush and hold the gain switch against the L-bracket.
Hope that makes sense

Hi David,

No, No nut fitted, ill see if can get a pic, but its just standard build, there is about a nuts worth of thread sticking out, so maybe its my marconi norb...

Cheers
Pete

The 22uF electrolytic at the very end of the longest edge of the converter PCB, is that c2f, in other words rated at 10v? I can't find it on the schematic and want to double-check.  I'm assuming since it's near c1e which is 10v it's rated the same?

Neil said:
The 22uF electrolytic at the very end of the longest edge of the converter PCB, is that c2f, in other words rated at 10v? I can't find it on the schematic and want to double-check.  I'm assuming since it's near c1e which is 10v it's rated the same?

Yes, (ran out of board space!) it has about 3.5V on it, so 10V is fine

David,

Have you seen this? Just released by AMS Neve. They still aint got nothing on you! Just finished my build. So fun and cleverly laid out. This 500 series AMS neve just looks like garbage with all the surface mounted components....

http://www.vintageking.com/Neve-1073LB

media.nl

media.nl

funkymonksf said:
David,

Have you seen this? Just released by AMS Neve. They still aint got nothing on you! Just finished my build. So fun and cleverly laid out. This 500 series AMS neve just looks like garbage with all the surface mounted components....

I'm beginning to think MFG's get their ideas from this forum? :)

M.

madriaanse said:
I'm beginning to think MFG's get their ideas from this forum? :)

M.
I think so to. For years the gs crowd has been saying this will never happen. Once Mr. David proved it could happen, guess who joined the party.

I count only 15 gold fingers. I do see they missed the 51x Alliance. Pity.  ::)  Their loss. Volker would probably not add their logo to the members area anyhow.  ;D

I will never buy one in a million years. Like they care.

Back