Neve Style knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sweet with close ups too.
I'd be happy for you to just add on extra to my order to cover the samples/organisation of the group buy....i'm guessing most other people would be happy with this too.

well that would work ok but most of the orders are in the US and Europe and I won't be sending them.
Lets just see what happens when they come through.

cheers  Greg

hey greg,

if/when this happens, you can have some of mine.  I'm sure I won't use all of them.

well I only made the payment a few days back and now it's the weekend and we have to wait for Xuyu to post it. Last purchase the company has a processing time of 10 days hopefully not so long for samples.
So hang in..............

Greg

I've just been informed that the sample knobs are on there way via DHL.
Unfortunately they only had blue and brown in  stock for the sample but we can still order the red and mix of colours in the MOQ of 200.
Will post some preview pics when they arrive and start thinking about how b
est to drill them. Any suggestions?

cheers  Greg

Waiting for those pictures :)))))))
No problem about the color right now,we should figure out how to drill them now.
I know they not gonna be exact copy of the N*ve color but thats not a problem(for me)
I just want that N*ve sexy look  ;D

Hooray the knobs are here and here are some pics.
Note that the colour in the pics is not 100% accurate. On my monitor anyway the blue looks most like the blue shown in the first pic. I believe the red (maroon) will be very close to the Neve colour but the blue will be lighter but still quite nice. In the pics with the black back ground the blue looks a lot lighter than it really is. Something to do with the LED light I was using for the photo.
In the last photo I have very easily drilled the whole to 6.5mm. I did this just by hand holding the drill bit and turning, only taking perhaps 10 seconds with each drill bit. First I used a 5.5mm drill bit which just shaved the inside of the teeth off a little, then I went to 6mm, then to 6.5mm. All the bits were brand new. after using the 6mm drill bit the teeth of the spline were still partially visible and I imagine that 6.3mm will just completely remove them. This means the drill will easily have a tenancy to remain centred and little  strength will be lost from the boss. Tomorrow I will buy 1/4" (6.3mm) drill bit and try that, then I will try the set screw and send more pics. Anyway for now the knob I drilled fits neatly on my EZ1073.
The set screws are a standard M3 metric 3mm thread but do not come with nuts. The nuts a very common though.

cheers  Greg

Attachments

• Knob1.JPG
    Knob1.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 84
Please down load the pics for easy close up viewing.

cheers  Greg

Attachments

• Knob2.JPG
    Knob2.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 54
bruce0 said:
I still want 50 red knobs, but I don't want the inserts pictured.

Hi Bruce,

no worries. What are you planning on doing instead of the set screws? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

cheers  Greg

Hey!

They look great, and I will probably up my qty, particularly if some more colours become available.

For the price I will deffo get the set screws.

I am thinking of filling one of the chambers with a hard epoxy, and drilling and tapping that all the way through. Only thing is we might need to get longer screws so the epoxy thread will be OK and not pull out. if that does not work, ill try the nut thing...... or put a little square of steel into the epoxy, then drill and tap through that.

Worst Worst case..... find a project to build with splined pots.

Either way, sweet.

Cheers,

Tim

guitar4444 said:
bruce0 said:
I still want 50 red knobs, but I don't want the inserts pictured.

Hi Bruce,

no worries. What are you planning on doing instead of the set screws? I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

cheers  Greg

I plan on drilling for a normal brass insert (maybe salvaged from cheap knobs ... I wonder if I can shatter a cheap bakelite knob), and then filling the back with epoxy or polyester resin.

I also plan on using some of them as-is for spline shafts, I have a bunch of surplus pots in that style.

The reason I don't want the set screws is that I don't think threading screws into the plastic will work well, and when I canibalize the knob to get the insert it will have a set screw, so I wont need it.

Although Timothtitus88's suggestion, long set screw, coarse thread, resin fill, and tap might work well.

The easiest way bar far to fit the set screws is to simply drill a 3mm hole all the way from the side to the inside of the boss and then sit a 3mm nut in the cavity between the shaft boss and the outer part of the knob. No tapping or filling required though could still fill the cavity around the nut. I hope to have a pic up later today but for the moment this is something like what I'm aiming at.

Attachments

• Sey Screw 2.jpg
    Sey Screw 2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 5
Another possible way would be rather than breaking an old knob, take a small knob with a 14mm outside diameter and brass insert. Remove all the inside of the neve style knob so there is just the outer shell. The inside diameter should be 14mm and just glue it over the top of the smaller knob.

cheers  Greg

Latest posts

Back