Neve Style knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

I hope I am not out of line asking here....... Looking at their website, they have some other knobs that I  would be keen to get for some non-neve projects. If it would help with shipping, and others wanted some other types of knobs too would it be possible to add some other types.

If it would complicate things please just say so, and perhaps ill get them in smaller quantities from ebay (probably the same product)

The ones I would be interested in are KN-33B, KN-32 and KDJ's in a couple of sizes (say the KDJ32-20-6 and KDJ-25-18-6) all are grub screw type.

Just thought I would throw it out there, but happy to be told to go and get...........

Cheers,

Tim

guitar4444, if you get that method working, let me know, I could live with that.  But I am worried that the knob will be pushed off center or out of round by the force of doing that slip the nut in thing.

The knob in a knob idea is cool.

If you guys need rotary switches with splined shaft to use with these knobs, I can have sealed rotary switches @ 4$ that are 1 or 2 wafers and 1,2,3,4,6 poles on each wafers (with 12->1 positions) for example a 2 poles 12 positions or 4 poles 6 positions (1081 switches), they are kinda like grayhill's 71 serie ones....I also got another contact for those neve knobs for red, blue, grey and black color but the MOQ is 500.....Xuhu told me that he would see if grey color might be possible, do you got any news about that, greg ?

Timothytitus88 said:
Hey,

I hope I am not out of line asking here....... Looking at their website, they have some other knobs that I  would be keen to get for some non-neve projects. If it would help with shipping, and others wanted some other types of knobs too would it be possible to add some other types.

If it would complicate things please just say so, and perhaps ill get them in smaller quantities from ebay (probably the same product)

The ones I would be interested in are KN-33B, KN-32 and KDJ's in a couple of sizes (say the KDJ32-20-6 and KDJ-25-18-6) all are grub screw type.

Just thought I would throw it out there, but happy to be told to go and get...........

Cheers,

Tim

definitely not out of line but I'm not sure if the MOQ would still apply if we are already getting the MOQ on something else. I also want to order some small quantities of other things.

cheers  Greg

bruce0 said:
guitar4444, if you get that method working, let me know, I could live with that.  But I am worried that the knob will be pushed off center or out of round by the force of doing that slip the nut in thing.

The knob in a knob idea is cool.

I'll post pics later. Should be able to solve the off centre problem by putting some glue in the space between the boss and outer part of the knob. Liquid nails or epoxy.

cheers  Greg

Mzaar said:
If you guys need rotary switches with splined shaft to use with these knobs, I can have sealed rotary switches @ 4$ that are 1 or 2 wafers and 1,2,3,4,6 poles on each wafers (with 12->1 positions) for example a 2 poles 12 positions or 4 poles 6 positions (1081 switches), they are kinda like grayhill's 71 serie ones....I also got another contact for those neve knobs for red, blue, grey and black color but the MOQ is 500.....Xuhu told me that he would see if grey color might be possible, do you got any news about that, greg ?

No news yet. Hopefully soon.

cheers Greg

This was OOOHHH SOOO easy!!
I just drilled a hole for the set screw with my tarus multi tool on slow speed. I marked a spot drilled a 2.5mm hole then a 3mm hole. Probably could have just gone straight for the 3mm. Straight through easy as, just hold it by hand, still pretty straight and it came out perfect. It was so quick it would take about a minute to drill and fit the set screw.
I had two different type nuts, one is slightly thicker and come up at just below 2.5mm as shown by the micrometer. It is a perfect fit and sits snuggly with no play between the outer part and the shaft boss, not to tight though.
I got my nuts here. They were the nickel plated type. The smaller ones were zinc.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HP0425
or here on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M3-Hex-Nut-Pk-25-/310612064508?pt=AU_Fasteners&hash=item4851ebf8fc

Now it fits easily on the grayhill switch on my EZ1073 and turns it easily with just one screw, 2 would do it perfectly. If you are worried about distortion just put spare nuts in the space opposite the screw and perhaps a small bit of glue. I found I could easily do it tight enough to turn the switch without distortion.
To sum up I consider this to be a total success and very easy and quick and looks 100% pro.
If you want two set screws please order more.
I'm hoping the 15 or so people who put there names down can put a $1 each toward the shipping cost of the samples. Perhaps Tommypiper and Mzaar could organize that with their orders? On the other hand It would be easier for them if those good folks just paypaled me a dollar. That would mean I still end up paying $5 of the $20 total but I'm OK with that.

here's the pics

Attachments

• hole.JPG
    hole.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 55
Timothytitus88 said:
Hey,

Cheers,

Tim

I just heard back from Xuyu, it seems you would still need to meet the MOQ. I was hoping to get some XLR's. That particular one looks very like a Neutrik. XLr's anyone? See below.

"The MOQ of XLR 4 type is 100pcs, and the unit price is $0.90usd/set.

The KDJ32-20-6 is $0.35usd/pcs. the MOQ is 500pcs.

The KDJ25-18-6 is $0.25usd/pcs. the MOQ is 500pcs.

Thanks,

Xuyu Lee"

guitar4444 .. great job.  I think you solution looks great, and I will go for the inserts too.

And happy to contribute to your test costs
(Though might be easier just to add 4 cents to each knob or something)

So I will take 50 red knobs and 50 inserts

Do we know what the inserts cost?

I notice that the first post says ORDER CLOSED on each order, have the order's been made?  Can I add quantity?

bruce0 said:
guitar4444 .. great job.  I think you solution looks great, and I will go for the inserts too.

And happy to contribute to your test costs
(Though might be easier just to add 4 cents to each knob or something)

So I will take 50 red knobs and 50 inserts

Do we know what the inserts cost?

I notice that the first post says ORDER CLOSED on each order, have the order's been made?  Can I add quantity?

Actually perhaps I should temporarily re-open the orders. I haven't made the Australian one yet but you will need to contact tommypiper directly re US orders. I don't think he has made it yet.
The knobs are $0.30 US each and the set screws are $0.01 US each

cheers  Greg

Greg thanks for following up with the prototype set screw and sample demonstration...

Looks good.  Just so I understand, here's a few questions to confirm.

The clear plastic ring detached easily and is not glued?  It's friction fit?  It goes back on and stays on just fine?

You drilled out the center of the knob to make a 1/4" hole (for a Grayhill switch, thus in inches...).

You drilled a hole in the side and inserted the M3 set screw -- which the Chinese seller sent you?

You dropped in an M3 nut to work with the set screw and everything was snug and stable? 

I didn't understand what you were writing about the drill bits, what was that about?

What about other colors in the same switch?  You touched on the blue, that looks fine in the first pic.  When will he offer gray?  He told me gray was coming, but I have no idea when.... that is another Neve color we'd love to have.

tommypiper said:
Greg thanks for following up with the prototype set screw and sample demonstration...

Looks good.  Just so I understand, here's a few questions to confirm.

The clear plastic ring detached easily and is not glued?  It's friction fit?  It goes back on and stays on just fine?

You drilled out the center of the knob to make a 1/4" hole (for a Grayhill switch, thus in inches...).

You drilled a hole in the side and inserted the M3 set screw -- which the Chinese seller sent you?

You dropped in an M3 nut to work with the set screw and everything was snug and stable? 

I didn't understand what you were writing about the drill bits, what was that about?

What about other colors in the same switch?  You touched on the blue, that looks fine in the first pic.  When will he offer gray?  He told me gray was coming, but I have no idea when.... that is another Neve color we'd love to have.

Clear plastic ring comes on and off easily but stays firmly put when on.
The nut would need to be the same or similar to the ones I bought, which are shown in the link to be a snug fit. The smaller nuts were loose but should still work OK once tightened.
I used 3 incremental increases in drill size to make it easy to keep it centred rather than all in on go. However the outer diameter of the teeth (once the teeth are removed) would be very close to 6.3mm so it tends to stay centred anyway.
The set screws come from the Chinese supplier and cost and extra $0.01 US each.
I haven't heard anything about other colours yet and I intend to go ahead with the Australian order just with the red and blue.
Also I would appreciate if you could collect an extra $1 off each person in your buy and pay to my paypal or ask them to do it directly to cover the cost of having the samples sent out. The total cot was $20 so if the 15 people on the list put in dollar that would be appreciated.

cheers  Greg

Looks good. I'm in for my 50 red knobs and screws and the dollar or whatever for the samples.

mitsos said:
Looks good. I'm in for my 50 red knobs and screws and the dollar or whatever for the samples.

Hi Mitsos,

What area are you in? You need to contact whoever is in charge of the orders for your country, and find out if the order is still open. See the first post.

cheers  Greg

Back