new gig and scary times

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

So I got a new gig. It's exciting to say the least and  looks like it will open a whole new world for me. For one the pay is better but more importantly the knowledge I will be getting will be exponential compared to my last job which basically had run it's course.  Yes the jobs are similar in the fact it's bench tech repair and there is a big part of the job with that but there will be opportunity to  get in deep with the EE people who do the design. I'll soak up all I can, when I can.

As for the scary times just found out one of the major networks is moving digs to another part of town and will not be using live people any more to do their audio portions of broadcast, it will be all automated. I am watching the industry get smaller and smaller and smaller.

Congrats... don't be a pest but find a senior EE willing to mentor you, and explain stuff to you. Most were helped by somebody senior on their way up the ladder, so should be willing to pass it along.

JR

PS: If anything I find it remarkable how many tasks are not already automated. Always look for occupations that can't be replaced by machines. Humans will still be needed to repair the machines, at least for a while.

Congrats.  JR is right a mentor EE can do wonders on your thinking about complex design.  Thats why I check out the GroupDIY everyday.  It would be great to have a couple down the hall.

On another note.  Comcast and other cable networks have some things automated but when I was down at the main facility last year they told me that all the program switching was being performed by Humans again and that there were numerous problems when everything is automated and no one is pay attention.  So they changed their policy back to people to drive the bus.  I found that interesting for a server based system of content. 

shabtek said:
we need people to fix the stuff that got rid of the people.

may the force be with you puch.

thanks except I am fixing the stuff that needs people to operate it and use it as recording tools. mic pre's, compressors, eq's ,etc,

Latest posts

Back