New GSSL Layout Proposal - Anyone Interested?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, lots of good ideas here.  I spent the weekend working on the design, it's still evolving by the minute, but I think I'm getting it narrowed down into my final version.  My #1 goal with this design is making the simplest, easiest to assemble, clearly documented, and most robust GSSL ever.  I'm weighing the pros and cons of which features to add, and this is what I've come up with as definites:

-All that wiring - it's gotta go!  And it will.  No more crimping.  Ribbon cable interconnect between main and control board.  Terminal block screw downs for other connections.

-Onboard XLR's option.

-Easy grounding scheme

-No cap lead bending, standard pitches on all parts.

-Improved solder pads for much easier soldering

-Detailed & Up To Date BOM

-True Bypass feature

-Integrated Turbo Board (Switchable)

-Both the bypass and Turbo switches will have provisions for use with illuminated switches if desired

-DBX202 Support

-Sidechain HPF (If present) will automatically enable when turbo is switched off.  Unless you guys feel strongly otherwise, I'm not planning on integrating the sidechain circuitry into the design since turbo seems to be the preferred option, but full provisions will be included for attaching the sidechain board.  It would be nice to have this too but I feel the line should be drawn somewhere.

-Redesigned on-board power supply.  I was originally planning on doing an offboard supply, however as long as the main board doesn't start to grow too big, I'd prefer to keep it onboard (with a proper layout I can eliminate any noise issues)

-Onboard Pots

-Bargraph meter (Onboard).  Switchable between GR/Input/Ouput.  Detachable and bypassable for use with a Sifam style meter if you choose instead.

-I like the idea of having an additional range or two.  If nothing else, a 1.5:1 would definitely be nice.

-Detailed Mechanical drawing templates for mounting / connector holes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in talks to having custom silkscreened front panels made for my layout as well if you guys are interested in that option (probably black panel with white text).  I'd like a vote on this though: Even though the sidechain circuitry will not be incorporated into the main board would you guys like there to be a section on the front panel reserved for the hpf switch?

One more thing: Would you guys rather have the unit in bypass by default, and have a "compression enabled switch", or have it in comp by default, with a "bypass switch"?

Complete 3D layout/plans should be ready to show you all in approx 3 weeks.  I am planning the first Prototype to be completed in 4-5 weeks.  Stay tuned.

Outside of maybe the "Fuzz Face" I think Gyraf designed the most built and wanted project ever. At least for recording. So would like to bow to him first! :)

The idea sounds great to me. If using onboard xlrs etc. Then you would need a special case made such as Hairball did with Mnats 1176. True bypass would also be a plus so ya can leave it in the chain and punch it in at will. I like that A Lot cause I am lazy and less patch changes. I would also agree with sidechain/turbo switch.

And second Biasrocks with the in between settings. That would be REALLY nice. And LED meters are always faster anyway. With peak hold even better!

John

Stagefright13 said:
If using onboard xlrs etc. Then you would need a special case made such as Hairball did with Mnats 1176.

Not necessarilly....haha....workin on that one.  I realize alignment is an issue.  But I'm working on ways that the builder could put the rear holes in the correct location.  This is the reason I was considering having front plates made.

Well I wouldn't want xlrs on the front. ;) The Bargraph leds and switches on the front will easily fill a 1u panel. How do you space onboard XLR's to the back panel without a special case and slotted pcb lands?

EDIT ok I see a separate I/O board for back panel... Geez been long day for me....

John

Stagefright13 said:
Well I wouldn't want xlrs on the front. ;) The Bargraph leds and switches on the front will easily fill a 1u panel. How do you space onboard XLR's to the back panel without a special case and slotted pcb lands?

John

Nah, I don't mean XLR's on the front.  I meant have a front panel designed so you wouldn't have to deal with any of these alignment issues on the front panel.

As far as XLR alignment on the rear - a drill template, and enough hole overage, proper drilling order, and slots on pcb should allow proper alignment.  But we'll see.  I might bag it if it seems not possible to utilize this feature, since it will just translate into wasted board space.

ruckus328 said:
-No cap lead bending, standard pitches on all parts.

-Redesigned on-board power supply.  I was originally planning on doing an offboard supply, however as long as the main board doesn't start to grow too big, I'd prefer to keep it onboard (with a proper layout I can eliminate any noise issues)

All great ideas... excited about this project, thanks for taking it on!

Reading your post, some things came to mind:

While the HPF doesn't interest me much, most people I've seen posting "ultimate Gssls" have 2x HPFs, one on each sidechain.  Just came to mind since you said the HPF would defeat the turbo, and maybe the HPF-ers wouldn't want that?

Re: cap lead pitch, when you say standard, some places in the world it's really hard to get wimas, panasonics, or whatever, and even between lytics: panasonics, nichicons, elnas etc, diameter/pitch varies quite a bit. Do you think maybe you'll put some 3-4 hole cap footprints to make cap selection a no-brainer?

re: case/onboard everything.  bobschwenkler(sp?) made a 312 board that fit perfectly in the shallow parmetal cases (8 inches). Something like that might work here? and if you make front panels, people would only have to drill the back plate.

2 cents...

keep us posted!

Mounting the xlr I/O onboard is not a good idea. It links the case to the board and any flex of the case stresses the solder joints. A separate I/O board with xlr's mounted is best. Some people don't rack their stuff or it may be used for location recording or live sound. It WILL get banged around.

John

mitsos said:
While the HPF doesn't interest me much, most people I've seen posting "ultimate Gssls" have 2x HPFs, one on each sidechain.  Just came to mind since you said the HPF would defeat the turbo, and maybe the HPF-ers wouldn't want that?

LOL, I've been thinking about this for the last half hour.  Brainfart - yes - why disconnect the hpf ever?  It should stay enabled whether turbo is engaged or not.

mitsos said:
Re: cap lead pitch, when you say standard, some places in the world it's really hard to get wimas, panasonics, or whatever, and even between lytics: panasonics, nichicons, elnas etc, diameter/pitch varies quite a bit. Do you think maybe you'll put some 3-4 hole cap footprints to make cap selection a no-brainer?

I hear what you're saying.  I'll see what I can do here.  Doing 2 different pitches wouldn't be too difficult and wouldn't really occupy any additonal real estate, however my concern here is it will be easy to accidentally use the wrong 2 holes.

mitsos said:
re: case/onboard everything.  bobschwenkler(sp?) made a 312 board that fit perfectly in the shallow parmetal cases (8 inches). Something like that might work here? and if you make front panels, people would only have to drill the back plate.

I'm designing this for an 8" deep case, so it will definietly fit in that.  On second thought, I see the downside to board mounting the xlr's, and am going to abandon that idea.  It seemed like a good idea, but the logistics and dangers involved seem to outweigh it.

ruckus328 said:
-I like the idea of having an additional range or two.  If nothing else, a 1.5:1 would definitely be nice.

Right, I assumed there was 3 more unused positions on the ratio switch, but I realized there's just one unused, so 1:5 is probably a good choice.

Mark

Quick skim of the thread...

One more vote in favor of 202 footprints...!  sounds like you're already doing them. :)

Don't care for LED metering etc.  I want a VU METER!!  :D  Can we still use a real VU meter?

I felt the Gyraf PSU was crap, (with all due respect, I'm sure its design goals were met, it works, etc).  I would like a possibility at least to do my own off board PSU or enough space to make mods on board, parallel caps, etc.  Please use 3x7 regulator, or whatever the exact one is/are, not the Gyraf regulators please.

Everything I have has VU meters. Would like to go back in time a bit to peak level VU's. But realistically I don't really look at them anyway... Just thought the LED's are cheaper. If the faceplate accommodates them.

Altho VU meters pretty much give the deflection my ears hear. But no reason to rule out perfect metering on ONE project.

John

Well I take that back. Some of my stuff has digital meters such as reverbs etc. But have peak overload LEDS. And the red led is the only thing that catches my attention. The Sifams I let go crazy if it sounds good. Or not...

ruckus328 said:
  • All that wiring
  • it's gotta go!  No more crimping.  Ribbon cable interconnect between main and control board.  Terminal block screw downs for other connections.
  • Onboard XLR's option.
  • Easy grounding scheme
  • No cap lead bending, standard pitches on all parts.
  • Improved solder pads for much easier soldering
  • Detailed & Up To Date BOM
  • True Bypass feature
  • Integrated Turbo Board (Switchable)
  • Both the bypass and Turbo switches will have provisions for use with illuminated switches if desired
  • DBX202 Support
  • Sidechain HPF (If present) will automatically enable when turbo is switched off.  Unless you guys feel strongly otherwise, I'm not planning on integrating the sidechain circuitry into the desin since turbo seems to be the preferred option, but full provisions will be included for attaching the sidechain board.  It would be nice to have this too but I feel the line should be drawn somewhere.
  • Redesigned on
  • board power supply.  I was originally planning on doing an offboard supply, however as long as the main board doesn't start to grow too big, I'd prefer to keep it onboard (with a proper layout I can eliminate any noise issues)
  • Onboard Pots
  • Bargraph meter (Onboard).  Switchable between GR/Input/Ouput.  Detachable and bypassable for use with a Sifam style meter if you choose instead.
  • I like the idea of having an additional range or two.  If nothing else, a 1.5:1 would definitely be nice.
  • Detailed Mechanical drawing templates for mounting / connector holes.
You the man

tommypiper said:
Don't care for LED metering etc.  I want a VU METER!!  :D  Can we still use a real VU meter?

I'm still trying to figure out the details of how the meter system will work, but in short: That's the plan.

The plan is VU circuitry incorporated.  It will be switchable between GR/In/Out.  A bargraph meter will be part of the kit, but you can opt to not use it and use a standard VU meter if you wish.  Or you can opt to not install any of this feature and just use a standard mA Sifam meter like in the current GSSL - but if you choose this option, I don't see how there would be the panel real estate for an additonal bargraph meter for IN/OUT monitoring.  Basically though I'm trying to allow for all options in this area.  Are there any VU meters that are small enough to fit on a 1U rack though? - because if so, here's the issue:  My custom panel is going to be made for the bargraph style meter most likely since it seems like the majority (myself included) favor this idea.  I haven't started working on the mechaincs for this yet, but hopes are the bargraph will sit in the shadow of the Sifam/VU meter.  So you can hog the front panel out if you choose for a Sifam/VU.  Don't pin me to the wall with this yet though, I'm still working out the logistics of it all.

tommypiper said:
I felt the Gyraf PSU was crap, (with all due respect, I'm sure its design goals were met, it works, etc).  I would like a possibility at least to do my own off board PSU or enough space to make mods on board, parallel caps, etc.  Please use 3x7 regulator, or whatever the exact one is/are, not the Gyraf regulators please.

Well, definitely no disrespect to Gyraf, without him none of what I'm doing would be possible.  As you said, yes, it works - but there is definitely room for imrpovement in this department.  I'm leaning more towards an off-board PSU, but rest assured - I layout HV/Power supplies for a living, so the PSU will be a premo design, not cutting any corners here.

ruckus328 said:
Well, definitely no disrespect to Gyraf, without him none of what I'm doing would be possible.  As you said, yes, it works - but there is definitely room for imrpovement in this department.  I'm leaning more towards an off-board PSU, but rest assured - I layout HV/Power supplies for a living, so the PSU will be a premo design, not cutting any corners here.
What issue made you decide to create an onboard PSU? BTW, as far as I understood form another board member, dagoose, probably the best way is to use an offboard PSU with 317/337 regulators.

^^^No "issues" really, just one stop shopping is all.  It's nice to just have everything on one board instead of multiple boards with wiring all over the place.  Like I said, most likely it will be moving off-board (this will help to keep the main board is small as possible while still incorporating all of the features).

Speaking of features, after looking at what is involved, adding the dual side chain/hpf really isn't anything difficult, expensive, or big.  Screw it, I'm adding it.  That way everyone will be happy.  The only issue is that the hpf control won't be able to be board mounted onto the control pcb.  If I do you're looking at a 9"-10" long board.  Not the end of the world.  I have a way in mind though to make it a cinch to hookup.  You'll see:)

ruckus328 said:
tomcat said:
and maybe a LED meter option. The sifam 14 are discontinued, so....

Good idea.  Those Sifam meters are rather pricey to begin with anyways imo.  Only thing is, this is something I haven't familiarized myself with yet.  Are there any changes that need to be made to the board in order to work with an LED meter?  Isn't there a LED meter board designed somewhere here on the board?  Are you just talking about being able to use it with my layout? - Or for me to do a new meter layout also?  Can someone point me to where I can get some info on what's already been done in that respect?

If so, would be nice to have a 20 LED meter, have this one the Dynamaxx and its more usefull then the small 10bar meters...

if you do a run of front panels can we try and get some concencus on the colour scheme? I have a real dislike for black with white lettering :)

snipsnip said:
if you do a run of front panels can we try and get some concencus on the colour scheme? I have a real dislike for black with white lettering :)

As do I have a real dislike for clear anodize w/ black lettering haha.  Always looks homemade to me.  Of the two choices the black always looks far more professional looking.

Red or blue anodize/powder coat however.........now that could be nice........ :)

Latest posts

Back