New GSSL Layout Proposal - Anyone Interested?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can certainly help on the front panel front. Just met with a local shop that can supply me with anodized blanks in a variety of colours.... ;D pretty excited!

Forgot to mention. Our repected member Igor did alsa a 1he version. At his board I saw that he made some extra room for extra VCA's that are not necessarily have to be installed. This might be also a cool option.

I don't mind that the HPF/SC filter is mounted of board.

Attachments

• PIC_0127.jpg
    PIC_0127.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 64
Should I be more careful when posting inside photos? :)

It means, not a first time people simply copying me! Well...

@ruskus: how many compressors you have already made by your hands?
For general idea, you can stick to schem posted here:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/SSMIXBUZZ_500.gif

There are few errors, if you familiar with GSSL, you will find them within 10 minutes :)

I simply following this thread and see some copy-pasted ideas. Well....

My #1 goal with this design is making the simplest, easiest to assemble, clearly documented, and most robust GSSL ever.  

It already was here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38730.0
-All that wiring - it's gotta go!  And it will.  No more crimping.  Ribbon cable interconnect between main and control board.  Terminal block screw downs for other connections.

Aha.

I see you following my thread, btw, most of options you wrote some posts ago are already done at 500 format MixBuzz.

Just using your thread to promo my version of GSSL in 1RU. Audio boards will be same as 500 format,
pictures-here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38730.20

Front will have all possible options with easy wiring as well. Stay tuned!
:)

Again, there will be no any battle, except one thing-keep same price pcb's.

Igor said:

It means, not a first time people simply copying me! Well...

@ruskus: how many compressors you have already made by your hands?
For general idea, you can stick to schem posted here:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/SSMIXBUZZ_500.gif

There are few errors, if you familiar with GSSL, you will find them within 10 minutes :)

I simply following this thread and see some copy-pasted ideas. Well....

LOL! Nobody is copying you Igor, I am copying and modifying the original design by Gyraf - JUST LIKE YOU ARE DOING.  You seem to forget that you did not come up with the GSSL design, all you've done is put the pieces that other people have developed together.  Other people are free to do the same.  You do not own the GSSL, please remember that.

Igor said:
Just using your thread to promo my version of GSSL in 1RU.

Please Don't.  Doing so is totally disrespectful.  I haven't done this on your threads.

Igor said:
Except one thing-keep same price pcb's.

My boards will be priced at a very fair price based on my costs.

You say you don't want a battle yet you are publicly starting one.  I have been totally respectful to you up until now.  You are going to make this get ugly, and that is not my wish.

Igor said:
Again, there will be no any battle, except one thing-keep same price pcb's.

Not to say your PCB's are not of high quality and work well Igor, but I simply cannot justify spending $200 CDN for a set of PCB's like your 500 series SSL, even with a nominal amount of metal work thrown in.

I'm hoping that the pricing of these PCB's will be more reasonable.

ruckus328 said:

Nothing but smiles here.  8)

Mark

LOL! Nobody is copying you Igor, I am copying and modifying the original design by Gyraf - JUST LIKE YOU ARE DOING.  You seem to forget that you did not come up with the GSSL design, all you've done is put the pieces that other people have developed together.  Other people are free to do the same.  You do not own the GSSL, please remember that.

Nope. I stupidly sticked to original deck compressor's design and added mono-before-detector-link
and sidechain discussed many threads before.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/ADJ1.jpg

Quote from: Igor on Today at 20:04:39
Just using your thread to promo my version of GSSL in 1RU.

Please Don't.  Doing so is totally disrespectful.  I haven't done this on your threads.

Mike, it is not matter of respect/disrespect, it is like you will somehow react as well if someone will
post your unit's inside picture and say, see, this is the way he did it, I am very peacefull and full of respect. You can use it, but for your own needs... Anyway, if you like me to share some points with you, it is ok, feel free to ask. I did some successfull designs and some tens (if not about hundred) of prototypes which never left my working table...feel free to ask.
Quote from: Igor on Today at 20:04:39
Except one thing-keep same price pcb's.

You say you don't want a battle yet you are publicly starting one.  I have been totally respectful to you up until now.  You are going to make this get ugly, and that is not my wish.

Nope, there will not be any battle. Can you point what is ugly here if you going right after my thread and simply copy-pasting? I just mentioned it, without putting any disrespect to you.

Well, let's do it with good energies, like most good things were done at this community.
Feel free to ask in case of whatever.

I'd like to see (as most forum members) your designs,
things you already built, etc.

I would love to order your PCB's Igor but cannot justify spending $200 CDN
for a set of PCB's like your 500 series SSL. With a very nominal amount of metal work
thrown in, I'm guessing about $15 worth.

Nope. Try to order good quality PCB's and metal works which will fit, not chinese work.
You easy will get to way more than $15. /The devil is in the details :)

I'm hoping that the pricing of these PCB's will be WAY more reasonable.

Good luck.

C'mon Igor...

This thread was making great progress, and now we have to weed through this competitor crap. Personally, I'm getting sick of all the product marketing that's taking place on this forum. There's a good way to market your product, and there's an ugly way to market it, and hijacking somebody's thread isn't very cool in my book. It lost you a potential sale.

For Pete's sake give the man his thread back!

And now we have to weed through this competitor crap.
I will try to keep this thread as clean as possible,
when it not follows mine right after day or two. Use your head instead of copy-pasting.

No competitors crap as I don't see here anything which compete. Pictures, please.
Until now, I see only copy-pasting from my 500 mixbuzz thread.

And yes, I do prefer price fixing instead of price dumping.

Igor, I have a mountain of respect for you, but this is getting silly, stop. Since there's nothing to see here, nothing has been copied, so stop accusing.

Igor, I have a mountain of respect for you, but this is getting silly, stop. Since there's nothing to see here, nothing has been copied, so stop accusing.
OK :)

Igor said:
When I posted the image, I had no intentions to disrespect your ideas. I think it's a very well thought feature. That's the reason why I proposed it in this thread. My apologies if you thought it's otherwise.

I'm going to say this one thing and it is the last time I will speak about it.  Any personal bashing, harrassment, and accusations will be ignored from here out.  On April 15th I spoke to a forum member about my plans for my new 1U redesign, so technically you stole my idea.  I am going to ask him to verify that here on the forum.  Nothing I am doing hasn't been done before, besides my own power supply scheme, which is sized according to the requirements of the SSL.  So chances actually are if somebody else did the proper calculations and sized with proper overage, my PS plan's been done before as well.

Nothing was stolen from you.  Nothing was copy and pasted.  The funny thing is - none of it was yours to begin with, you seem to be living in a fantasy world where it is.  You made a nice layout for an already existing design (SSL) for a 500 chassis.  My layout will be totally different, AND MY OWN, and designed for a 1U.  I don't need to know what you did on your schematic for me to do mine and quite frankly I don't care, the information is all available on the forum - the same place that you got it from. 

You haven't shown ANY PLANS for your 1U unit so saying that I have copied it is preposterous.  How can I have copied something that you have not shown any plans for?

Putting 4 VCA's in Parrallel wasn't your idea - it was DBX's, only they used 8 of them in parrallel.  If I was going to put them in parallel I'd use 8 like the orginal 202's did, although I hadn't planned on doing that.  You didn't create the ribbon cable.  You didn't create screwdown terminals.  You didn't create LED meters.  You didn't come up with the 2nd sidechain.  Nor the high pass filter.  So please, tell me what there is that I am stealing?  I know of one other board member who has been working on this as well for quite a while.  Though he hasn't posted anything about it yet.  I guess he stole it from you too?

Now give it a rest.  Go back to your thread and sell your boards.  You are handling this very poorly and making yourself look very bad.  If you can't handle competition then you are in the wrong business.

To the rest of the board, I'm sorry to continue to derail this thread, and I tried really hard to just ignore it, but Igor is well beyond crossing the line.  Now, back to the topic at hand.

I'm going to say this one thing and it is the last time I will speak about it.  Any personal bashing, harrassment, and accusations will be ignored from here out. 

Woa. I started it wery peacefull and even said, feel free to ask.

On April 15th I spoke to a forum member about my plans for my new 1U redesign, so technically you stole my idea.  I am going to ask him to verify that here on the forum.

Actually, I had the idea to make 1RU front for 500 series audio path way before,
right at the moment I started 500-series project. Anyway, this does not matter if we had same idea at same time. Th thing really hurted me, when I wrote about additional features at my thread,
you did same here some hours later...and tried to say my layout is hard to wire etc.
Well...

Nothing I am doing hasn't been done before, besides my own power supply scheme, which is sized according to the requirements of the SSL.  So chances actually are if somebody else did the proper calculations and sized with proper overage, my PS plan's been done before as well.

Hm...check the power supply section at my first 1RU build.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=24404.0

It isn't oversized, but...OK IMHO.
you seem to be living in a fantasy world where it is.

Any personal bashing, harrassment, and accusations will be ignored from here out.

You are handling this very poorly and making yourself look very bad.  If you can't handle competition then you are in the wrong business.

Any personal bashing, harrassment, and accusations will be ignored from here out.

Thanx. I'd like to see some pictures with your designs.

My layout will be totally different, AND MY OWN, and designed for a 1U

So, do it, and not copy-paste my thread. Want to see the pictures, and say: cool, bro, good THINKING.

Just a Q.  How many mV at original's sidechain's out proceed a 1 db change in compression?

/in case of right answer: I will NEVER write at this thread ;)
So please, tell me what there is that I am stealing?

No, you simply following my thread. Tell me i'm paranoic.

Well Igor replied to my post that I deleted but stand by. Your 500 SSL IS a work of art and passion. And I can imagine the work entailed especially being an engineering assistant for so many years. I have corrected more engineering blunders in electronics and machining than you can possibly imagine.

I stated at "minimum" it was a work of art and passion. That means A Lot of artistic and electronic knowledge. Both go hand in hand and you know that. Ruckus messaged me the other day about him working about an hour away. Not close in my book.

I don't have tons of audio electronic knowledge. I was a tech that worked on chip making machines of every kind. And also was a machinist for many years. That was back in the 80's and 90's.

I am starting not to like you and your marketing thing. This is a site for learning which I have done over the past few years. Actually I learned tons of things and actually went thru CJ's electronics 101 etc. Wich you probably never heard of. And I continue to come here to learn things. Some of the projects I have built have been on the "Hopefully it works" deal. And was proud to figure out if it would work or not.

I have built projects that had components that were unavailable at the time. Or waited months to get 1 transformer. Sometimes took me 3 months to complete a project even with unlimited money. And am proud of those.

I personally think this is a place to learn electronics. Not A place to dump money on a prefab. That's not why this GDIY enticed me so much. It reinstated my DIY attitude to learn how this stuff works.. After popping in transistors the wrong way in guitar pedals back in the 80's. And enjoy the people here and their questions as well as mine. Cause Damn it I ask A Lot. And have benefited from everyone here and their expertise. Should I go on how much I like this place? Or have you missed the point Igor??!!

John

WOA.
Good post. Bad, you deleted you another good post before.
work of art and passion
Yes, as pure Addams, sometimes designing good stuff brings me great satisfaction.

I just wanted to say, most posts at this thread appeared right aftrer 2...36 hrs after I posted same at my thread. Well.

As pure Addams, I want PEACE. And I know what all this learning mean for you.

OT.
Once, we started here basic electronics cource for sound techs at kinda sound tech's college,
Resonance-School Of Sound,
and I had to teach 36 people at 40 hours to all this stiff( in hebrew, it is easier for me than english).
We finished with 3 things: Moog Filters, trafo-in mic pre, and optocompressor.
People did it from absolute 0 to completed project and most knew how it works. I know what do you mean.
For me, it was nigntmare to prepare everthing and big satisfaction to see working things.

I'd stay off from this thread. Smells bad. You know what I mean.

My wow-factor will be happy to say WOW (V.Pelevin, Generation Pi-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_%22%D0%9F%22)
to good layout proposed here, and, I will be happy to see answer to question posted here in my prev. thread :)

Back