New guy - Looking to make a bass guitar pre/di

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnb77

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a simple but decent sounding bass preamp or DI project.  Something I can plug into my computer and record with.  I'm not looking for total hifiness, I like some color to my sound.  I'm not excellent with electronics despite my best efforts (most of my effects builds fail at the offboard wiring stage, but I can get components on a PCB well enough) so something easy and well-documented would be nice!

Best if I can buy a kit with good instructions.  I have a Viva Analog 360+ kit, but it's way over my head.

Any suggestions?

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I think you could do no wrong with one of Steiger's kits from Classic API. You could get both things in one with something like the VP312DI.
Also, API stuff sounds great for bass, drums, guitar...so you can have a preamp that can really shine.

You will need a VPR or GDIY 51X rack tho.

Just my 2¢
Dave

The whole project looks very cool and probably something to aspire to, but I think it may be a bit over my head at the moment.  Two other problems come to mind: I'd like something a bit more compact, and I don't want to spend very much money on this in case I ruin it  ;)

Sredna said:
Bo Hanséns (1975) Di-Box.

Easy, very useful, well documented and not too expensive project.

That's this one, I presume? http://www.hansenaudio.se/techpage.htm#active DI-box, my work horse from 1975
That looks like it might be just the thing.  Nice, cheaply available PCB, and a good thread on here that I didn't see until getting linked through the site. 

I have a pcb partially stuffed if you're interested.

All you need is transformer, and an enclosure.

I also have a small hammond enclosure if you like.

Pay for shipping, and its all yours.

Neil

Le Roux said:
I have a pcb partially stuffed if you're interested.

All you need is transformer, and an enclosure.

I also have a small hammond enclosure if you like.

Pay for shipping, and its all yours.

Neil

That's quite kind of you! I think I'll take you up on that.  I'll send you a PM in a bit.

It seems that the standard design of this is phantom powered through XLR.  I guess I need to use a mixer between the DI and the computer so it can provide power, right? 

You could build a phantom power supply, (48V supply + 2x6k8 resistors and 2 big caps)

But simpler (if you wont use it with a pre mic pre) is to take out the 6k8 resistors and use 24V directly to there. Also I wouldn't use 5:1 transformer unless you would use a pre, because it will give you mic level output, for the computer you could use a 1:1 transformer or just the monitor amp out. (if that I would change 10K res for 100Ω)

JS

joaquins said:
You could build a phantom power supply, (48V supply + 2x6k8 resistors and 2 big caps)

But simpler (if you wont use it with a pre mic pre) is to take out the 6k8 resistors and use 24V directly to there. Also I wouldn't use 5:1 transformer unless you would use a pre, because it will give you mic level output, for the computer you could use a 1:1 transformer or just the monitor amp out. (if that I would change 10K res for 100Ω)

JS

I don't necessarily mind having multiple pieces, so I could do DI > Mixer > Computer (or jam a pre in the middle there if necessary).  I just want to make sure I know what I need to do to make things work

Also could anyone suggest resources for where I could learn how to design instrument preamps and that sort of thing?  I've read basic electronics books, but I don't know anywhere near enough to read a schematic and say "Aha! I know what this part, and that part, and that part are all doing to the sound"

Thanks!
I don't really want to work with tubes.  Is it still worth getting and reading than book, or is my time more wisely spent on something else?

Latest posts

Back