New u87 Body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @Wordsushi for your feedback. Could it be that this resonance is due to the lack of the original capsule mount, the one which makes the entire headbasket datachable from the body? Just hypothesis..
When I tightly grip the mic around the ring at the bottom of the headbasket and tap the body
Have you tried to mount the mic into a rycote shockmount or similar and block it exactly where you were gripping with your fingers? Don't know if it's possible, could be too large

Anyway I ordered one from Ali, I'm really curious to try it!

Ultimately, here's my question. I'm sure if I put the mic in front of a loud, high energy source like a guitar amp or drum kit, the body would obviously resonate more. But if I'm using it for VO, where I'm really just talking into it, how much would this body's resonance matter?

Ultimately, here's my question. I'm sure if I put the mic in front of a loud, high energy source like a guitar amp or drum kit, the body would obviously resonate more. But if I'm using it for VO, where I'm really just talking into it, how much would this body's resonance matter?
I've been ranting much about these body resonances. The truth is loud source is not enough, it would also have to match in pitch. Like a singer breaking the glass, or something rattling in a kitchen when you play loud music. In a mix situation that ringing can cause all different kinds of issues. I don't think it would be an issue for VO, and it would be easier to spot as you have just one audio source.

But ideally, if one spends bucks for fancy components, building a clone, talk about magical vibe of vintage capacitors, grid coupling, and not pay attention to something like body resonances, capsule placement, reflection within the headbasket.... All of these will make larger, potentially negative impact on the sound.

Last edited:
I've been ranting much about these body resonances. The truth is loud source is not enough, it would also have to match in pitch. Like a singer breaking the glass, or something rattling in a kitchen when you play loud music. In a mix situation that ringing can cause all different kinds of issues. I don't think it would be an issue for VO, and it would be easier to spot as you have just one audio source.

But ideally, if one spends bucks for fancy components, building a clone, talk about magical vibe of vintage capacitors, grid coupling, and not pay attention to something like body resonances, capsule placement, reflection within the headbasket.... All of these will make larger, potentially negative impact on the sound.
Good point. It's really a bummer to get to the end of a build and find that the body is a big issue. I really like this body, too and I'm going to keep trying to find a way to try and fix it, but I think I need to also consider swapping it out into a different body at some point, too because at some point it'll just bug me enough that I won't use the mic in this body, which would be silly.

Good point. It's really a bummer to get to the end of a build and find that the body is a big issue. I really like this body, too and I'm going to keep trying to find a way to try and fix it, but I think I need to also consider swapping it out into a different body at some point, too because at some point it'll just bug me enough that I won't use the mic in this body, which would be silly.
Have to admit i feel guilty, haven't had the chance to try the body myself before starting the thread. It still sits on my bench waiting to be used.

Not your fault. I actually bought this body back in March and was waiting to get my Fuchs build together.

However, I just tried one of these cheapie $4 shock mounts. It's a bit tight, but it seems to help quite a bit. The Rycote I have didn't work as well, probably because this has more surface area clamping down on the body. The headbasket still rings, but not as much.
IMG_8273.jpg

" The headbasket still rings, but not as much."

Try epoxy glue beads or hot glue inside the grill & body.
It worked really well on my C 414 type body.
Carefull not to be messy (maybe Bluetack)

Might affect the look, BUT what is more important to you?
Look or sound?

M

Try epoxy glue beads or hot glue inside the grill & body.
It worked really well on my C 414 type body.
Carefull not to be messy (maybe Bluetack)

Might affect the look, BUT what is more important to you?
Look or sound?

M
Interesting. Can you explain what exactly you did and where you placed those beads. I'm curious but it doesn't sound reversible if it doesn't achieve what I'm looking for.

The other thing I just noticed is that with this body, there's a groove on the body just below the headbasket that I'm guessing is where some kind of gasket or ring should go (but wasn't included) and I'm wondering if the right sized, thin rubber gasket or rubber ring (like those 80's style rubber bracelets) about 54mm in diameter, would help dampen the headbasket resonance.

For sure though this resonance is coming from the capsule deck and headbasket combination, so I think this body was designed to have some kind of damping ring if you interpret the groove to be functional.

Last edited:
Interesting. Can you explain what exactly you did and where you placed those beads. I'm curious but it doesn't sound reversible if it doesn't achieve what I'm looking for.
Good morning,

An image is worth a thousand words...
But, on this particular one I put Hot glue beads on metal structure holding the grill.
And in this case I had to put them on the corners (grill being rectangular).
Also on the corners and middle of the body.
It was bothering me, when recording acoustic guitars with it.
With epoxy glue, you need to be really skilled, as it is forever.;)

I compared it with its more famous cousins after, and it was dead quiet!
Some of the hot glue sipped through the top right corner, but hey...

I'm tempted to buy two of those 87 type bodies and try dampening them.
@Wordsushi where did you buy yours? Aliexpres or Alibaba (same Ali guy anyway)

M

Attachments

• IMG_3533.jpg
    IMG_3533.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I had used to fight resonance and also insulate from outside rumble/low frequencies using sorbothane.

Good morning,

An image is worth a thousand words...
But, on this particular one I put Hot glue beads on metal structure holding the grill.
And in this case I had to put them on the corners (grill being rectangular).
Also on the corners and middle of the body.
It was bothering me, when recording acoustic guitars with it.
With epoxy glue, you need to be really skilled, as it is forever.;)

I compared it with its more famous cousins after, and it was dead quiet!
Some of the hot glue sipped through the top right corner, but hey...

I'm tempted to buy two of those 87 type bodies and try dampening them.
@Wordsushi where did you buy yours? Aliexpres or Alibaba (same Ali guy anyway)

M
I did get it from Aliexpress.
Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find my glue gun.
Also, in reference to Martin's suggestion of sorbothane, I'm wondering if increasing the mass of the capsule deck would help, or a sorbothane layer on the capsule deck?

The capsule deck in the original is made of plastic.

Maybe a perspex/plexiglass deck instead would mitigate the worst of it. You could cut a strip of rubber foam or neoprene the same width as the headbasket side rails and glue it along the inside as well.

I doubt you’d hear much ringing after that.

Back