New u87 Body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ultimately, here's my question. I'm sure if I put the mic in front of a loud, high energy source like a guitar amp or drum kit, the body would obviously resonate more. But if I'm using it for VO, where I'm really just talking into it, how much would this body's resonance matter?
You have to understand that the level of ringing depends on the stimulus level, so the ratio is more or less constant. Actually, the ringing may be more perceptible with soft acoustic sources.
Silicone sealant is a very efficient damping material.

Right now, for me, I'm thinking that the wrap around shock mount does enough to mitigate the problem to where software like Soothe or M-Clarity can clean up enough of whatever resonance may remain to work for my needs.

But I do think I have some silicone sealant somewhere in the garage. Perhaps I'll try a couple of dabs where the rail and capsule deck meet if inspiration strikes.

I seem to remember something about some sealants potentially giving off mildly corrosive fumes - worth checking, and maybe keeping away from the capsule while it cures.

The Isodamp material mentioned above sounds promising too. I received a couple of these bodies recently - one thunks like a bell in particular, so I'll be using some of these strategies for sure. I'll be using them to rehouse two Oktava MK219s with cracked bodies, so will probably need to make a new capsule deck. Perspex sounds like a good idea, thanks @MagnetoSound.

I seem to remember something about some sealants potentially giving off mildly corrosive fumes - worth checking, and maybe keeping away from the capsule while it cures.
Yes, the "acetic" type (which smells like vinegar) can be potentially disastrous, but it not very common today. Actually you have to look specifically for the acetic type.
Most common is the neutral.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-difference-between-acetic-silicone-sealant-neutral-adhesive

I also have the same body and can report the Fuchs 87 boards fit perfectly in it, but also I have the resonance issue. I tried some self-adhesive rubber strips on the inside of the shell, but mostly the resonance seems to be coming from the headbasket, or probably more accurately, the capsule deck and the rails and the headbasket combined.
I tried damping the underside of the capsule deck. I tried zip ties on the rails to stop them from vibrating but so far, nothing I've tried works.
However, overall I really like the body a lot.
Morning to all,

I was tempted to press the buy button on these...
Then I looked at dimensions at the bottom of the page.
It says : "PCB diameter 34mm. - height 240mm" !?!
Ok for PCB, not huge but ok...

A real U87 has a Height of 208mm (if you include XLR conn.)
A diameter of 54mm at top of the tube
and a grill (flat top) of 56mm

Can ANY of you share the real outside dimensions of this U87 body?
I'm slightly confused with what their site says...🥴

Thanks in advance
M

Attachments

• Aliexpress U87 body.png
    Aliexpress U87 body.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 2
Your head basket looks much better and legit than the one on the website… which kind of makes me hesitate :)
Can you confirm that the mic is better looking IRL ?
Thanks
Yes, i've been hesitating to order of that same reason. Mic bodies are kinda difficult to photograph due to lens distortion. I hope that is the issue, not something else.

Your head basket looks much better and legit than the one on the website… which kind of makes me hesitate :)
Can you confirm that the mic is better looking IRL ?
Thanks
I second that! (y)
And maybe post on Length/height cm's pleeease ?
I've been holding my finger on the "buy button" for about 27 hours now...
A new record for me. ;)

M

I second that! (y)
And maybe post on Length/height cm's pleeease ?
I've been holding my finger on the "buy button" for about 27 hours now...
A new record for me. ;)

M
The height is about 21cm with xlr connector, width of the headgrille top is 55mm. Some pictures against the cheapo u87 variant.

Attachments

• 20230817_124139.jpg
    20230817_124139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230817_124103.jpg
    20230817_124103.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230817_123815.jpg
    20230817_123815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230817_123714.jpg
    20230817_123714.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
"Sorry, the seller has not provided the EPR (extended producer responsibility) registration number of the destination country. Your online order cannot be processed."

Apparently they can't ship to France... great :(

Wow Khron, what an education I'm getting from you! E6000 Craft Adhesive. So many terms and ideas are presented on this forum it is hard to keep up with them all. I appreciate your time and trouble!

Just pulled the trigger on a pair ... wait and see ! They offered me direct Paypal invoicing, I guess I still can benefit from buyer protection if anything goes wrong.!!!
Wait a minute !!!

I thought you said they would not ship to France ?
I’m in Vincennes 94 !
How did you do it then ?

You beat me to it ?!? 😂
M

Montreuil, 93 😂
They offered to invoice me directly on PayPal, which means the sale is outside Alibaba.
If I knew we could have saved on shipping, maybe it’s not too late. DM moi si tu veux !
Cheers

Montreuil, 93 😂
They offered to invoice me directly on PayPal, which means the sale is outside Alibaba.
If I knew we could have saved on shipping, maybe it’s not too late. DM moi si tu veux !
Cheers
Aaaaahhhh!
I go to Montreuil all the Time.
Nice, Funky and better prices too.
So we are neighbours!
😂

Ok i PM you immédiatement !
😉
M

Hello guys, I've just received my body today and immediately put in the fuchs87ai circuit with AAK87 capsule, which I had previously in the more commonly used 3/4 u87 shaped body.
After swap, I noticed a pleasent improvement in the high range and I felt the mic sounds.. I'd say more correct to my ear. Which is probably due to the bigger headbasket.
To see the difference I've made a quick test using the other u87 I have (same capsule and circuit but 3/4 u87 body). Keeping both mics in my hands and recording me speaking (I don't have monitors right now otherwise I'd have used pink noise). After that I applied matching eq and noticed interesting shapes between 5k and 10k I want to share.

On to the resonance.. yeah this body is a real bell! Anyway here is what I've tried, and I think it made a subtle improvement, especially for the handling noise. I had m2.5 screws and grommets which I used for building OPA mics.. the photo explain better how I've used them. Oh I also cut some of the packaging to try around the capsule deck but I think it doesn't do much.
Anyway I think the improvement in sound makes the noise from body resonance negligible but I have test it in real acoustics (this friday!)
BTW I bought another one ;)

Attachments

• correction.png
    correction.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 1
  • grommets.jpg
    grommets.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2
Back