No "ez" DIY for Christmas this year... sorry

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slenderchap

Been too busy recently to do another “ez” project for the forum but I will try to get one done for next year (might as well give myself a long lead time).

I have been tied up with this (and before anyone asks... no it is definitely NOT available as a kit)... the 500 series 54F50 compressor / limiter:

54f50_module.jpg

54f50_front.jpg

54f50_dual_unit.jpg

www.audiomaintenance.com\downloads\54f50_simple_block.pdf

Merry Christmas everyone..... time for a drink.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Looks very nice Colin!

My assumption is that it's a 2254e in a lunch box format.

22[54] Revision [F] for [50]0 series.

Hence 54F50.

From the block diagram, it looks like it has all 4 transformers, so that's a good thing.

My guess is it won't be cheap. 2K5 for a pair???

Regards,
Mark

mulletchuck said:
Man... What is inside this thing that makes it 3 slots wide???  Tubes???  Those knobs aren't that big..

The 4 transformers, a meter which occupies half a slot and a whole bunch of electronics...

shabtek said:
this is against protocol; reveal the innards, Colin

This is actually a prototype one but the production unit is almost identical:
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/54f50_proto_inside_1.jpg
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/54f50_proto_inside_2.jpg

Rob Flinn said:
Looking great Colin, but you could have wiped the finger prints off the meter in the top pic ;)

Rather than serial numbers we have decided to go with individually fingerprinting all the units... or possibly DNA profiling.... or alternatively making the photo smaller so you don't notice !

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Confused on your thread title. You say there will be no EZ DIY for Xmas but yet in your post you say there will be no kits available?? Do you mean only the PCBs will be available  ;)

canidoit said:
Confused on your thread title. You say there will be no EZ DIY for Xmas but yet in your post you say there will be no kits available?? Do you mean only the PCBs will be available  ;)

I understand it as only fully built (commercial) units will be available. But to tell you the truth, I did expect for a ballpark price to be posted as well in that case ;) I'm hoping for at least PCBs myself

gemini86 said:
mulletchuck said:
folks, you gotta flip the \'s to /'s to see the pics.  otherwise you'll get bad urls.

works for me on chrome...

I'm using FireFox.  Fun fact:  using \'s is an OS thing, it's how you describe file paths on local volumes.  if you look at every address on every website you visit, most, if not all, of them use /'s.

Biasrocks said:
.....Revision [F] ......

"Revision F" because it has dual attack speeds for the compressor.

baadc0de said:
I understand it as only fully built (commercial) units will be available. But to tell you the truth, I did expect for a ballpark price to be posted as well in that case ;) I'm hoping for at least PCBs myself

Sorry I should have said no kits or PCB's.... they are GBP995.00 each (GBP2395.00 for a racked pair).

I think the / \ thing is related to OS or Browser as Mulletchuck points out..... with windows XP & IE it automatically flips the \ into a / when you select the link.... I'll change it round so it works for everyone ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Back