official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have some spares LM350T ,
i would be interested too,
For now i will build the unit with the parts in your kit,
but i would like to upgrade it with safer regulators,
regards,
Francois

Ptownkid said:
...Jeff...where are you at on the psu transformers?
I ordered them about 2 months ago. They are a 12 week lead time as one might guess. That means that they are scheduled to be to me around the 1st of September.  :eek:  They will be the same price as Volker's toroids. $57.00US which includes all the typical mounting tid-bits.

I have been meaning to get a pic, spec sheet and product info up on my site but just haven't gotten to it yet!  ::)

Cheers, Jeff

Cool, been postponing mine waiting for your transformer.

Pacemaker, I will get some extras soon for those who got the 317's

Sorry to clutter your thread boys, just wanted to clarify.

no problem Ptwonkid,
i just find some in another shop for 50 cents,
so don't bother repalcing them,
i just want to finish this PSU asap,
regards,
francois

I finally got around to testing the PSU with my meter and everything is working!  Thanks guys.  Great project!  I would post pictures but it looks just like Cemals!

Again thanks 51x guys! 

She works!

Got the PSU up and running today, all is well bar the +48V rail. Unloaded the transformer is putting out 52VAC and with the trimmer all the way at the end of it's throw on the 48VDC rail I can't get lower than 51.8VDC.

I know Phantom is +48VDC, but will the 51.8VDC be okay or should I look at swapping out R2 for higher value would do the trick?

Also I see in some of the pics some have used heatsinks on the bridge rectifiers, in others not. What is the general consensus from the powers that be, need them, don't need them?

Cheers

Matt

Hey guys,

My 51x toroidal wiring info has been posted in pdf format. You can find it at the bottom of the 51x toroid product page.

Here's a direct link for easy reference.

Keep in mind, this is ONLY for the transformers from classicapi. The toroid from Cemal and Volker will be different! Be careful!

Best, Jeff

when i make the 7 core power cable i was thinking i would give a few extra metres to enable me to keep the PSU elsewhere, especially if i decide to use a fan. are there any significant problems i may run into doing this?

Does anyone have any US ideas on where to buy heatsinks that would would mount flush to the 350's?
Ian

bought my transformer from Cemal and Volker can't find a diagram, figured out the secondary wiring from the pictures.
On the primaries do you hook up the two yellow wires to the positive side of the IEC and the two white wires to the negitive side. Is this right?

Winetree said:
bought my transformer from Cemal and Volker can't find a diagram, figured out the secondary wiring from the pictures.
On the primaries do you hook up the two yellow wires to the positive side of the IEC and the two white wires to the negitive side. Is this right?
winetree: there is a hand drawn picture somewhere but the wiring is parallel windings for US 120v(both whites to live) and Series wiring for 240v operation. and your iec ground will go straight to chassis.

i still haven't got around to finishing yet either.
so for the record Zayance, that link implies 'yes' we need heatsinks on the rectifiers too?
good job that was asked again huh. i think this info should have been consolidated and clearly finalized by now.
a lot is unclear. grounding, 317/350 regs, heatsinks, cables and connectors, snub caps, and thats just the psu.
nobody get me wrong, its amazing work and I'm chuffed to bits with what i got, but it took me some time to piece together the 'recommended' (?) arrangements.

you can guess, or re-do all the component research your self, as you would if you DIY'd from scratch. but that seems a shame and quite a waste after so much effort was put into the research, design and then testing of this stuff ending with nice pcbs being sold and the BOM all sorted.

its been over a month now since i asked my last 'noob' questions. i edited out the grounding? and "please clarify unanswered heatsink question" because i thought i had finally found the answers using the search function... incorrect.

now it looks like i will need those heatsinks after all... or do i?

so for the record Zayance, that link implies 'yes' we need heatsinks on the rectifiers too?

Well i posted the link because it's for people too choose, and Cemal's great test gives use some numbers that are most welcome, put heatsinks on the rectifiers or no is up to you, from Cemal's test it seem like in a rack with full load, meaning in the worst case 11 units drawing 150mA each on one Voltage Rail (wich will not happened i'm sure  ;)) well in that case you will need some good heat dissipation because it will be hot in there, but that also depends, some people experienced no crazy heat with a rack full of units so.... up to you, i went heatsink on Vregs for sure, if i had space i would have used a bigger one, for the rectifiers, i made myself some, it's not a very good design but i want to put it to the test, for now i have 4 units running great in there, no heat nothing, after 6 units we will see...

PS: Safe side says Heatsinks everywhere, and use Heat dissipation paste on them, hope that helps...

when i make the 7 core power cable i was thinking i would give a few extra metres to enable me to keep the PSU elsewhere, especially if i decide to use a fan. are there any significant problems i may run into doing this?

I've used 2 meter cable IIRC, no problems here all seems good, You can check the voltages when the cable is hooked to the rack to see if evrything looks correct.
a lot is unclear. grounding, 317/350 regs, heatsinks, cables and connectors, snub caps, and thats just the psu.
nobody get me wrong, its amazing work and I'm chuffed to bits with what i got, but it took me some time to piece together the 'recommended' (?) arrangements.

you can guess, or re-do all the component research your self, as you would if you DIY'd from scratch. but that seems a shame and quite a waste after so much effort was put into the research, design and then testing of this stuff ending with nice pcbs being sold and the BOM all sorted.

I've build my PSU that is working great without too much fuss with Silent Art's BOM, and don't forget that it's DIY first so beeing in the search for yourself position is normal, and asking question when stucked also, but i think all the infos are here really.
Grounding is unclear but explained in here, and the best way to know is to try, i made a star ground in my PSU connected the PCB Chassis point and Gnd point to it, Mains GND also, and in the rack i connected Pin1 to chassis, and all is ok, no problems at all....

Snub Caps, well there is a link to a thread that was saying it's no good, but again up to you, it's not these things that will stop the PSU from doing what it's suppose to do and i think that's why all these little infos are unclear...
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36874.msg475115#msg475115

Connectors, well if you have the new rack then it's a Neutrik D 7Pin, if you have the old one, it's one RS components connector, or DIY....

Winetree, yea thats right :).
if i come across the thread again i will link it here for visual reference.

hey Zayance,
thanks for taking the time, always grateful :)
I understand and i have a similar attitude for the most part. I still think however, that this could have easily been arranged less 'arse about face' by now. especially for those who are just getting the first rack and were not here through the sprawling, almost endless threads of conversation, questions, debates and resolutions contained therein. (although i had about 8+ hours reading total on gdiy stuff only)

there is a lot that has been discussed and potentially finalized but only through implied responses, and is spread thinly over several posts.
a minimum/maximum requirement/ operations list at least, for the psu would have been great reference through my build. or if there was just one earlier post, edited to include concise relevant information/updates etc.

please dont misunderstand, i am still pleased with what i have, and i WILL get around to actually playing with it :D

but with so much variation and things for people to 'choose' it's confusing at best. i chose the gdiy route as opposed to proper diy to remove some elements i was uncomfortable with building myself or didnt want to use up so much time researching and designing poorly from scratch. i.e safe custom PSU. the 24v is a bonus.
the fun part for me will be the modules and this is why i wanted it all in the first place.

also without any set standard it will be way more important that we weigh up the spec of each rack/psu with each combination of modules. of which the 51x specific versions dont yet have any power consumption listed.

I have no problem using the search function, in fact I am more than familiar and have eventually gotten what I needed.
this is not to say my time couldn't of been put to better use. if there was for instance, a pdf for 'suggested' build... i would have had it finished in less than half the time it took to read the original thread!
more time to build and play with the good bit... the modules. right? you dont need rules!, just a suggested standard. in one place.

i'm sure i've left room for argument, there always is. its only a suggestion. or a
"looking back, it would of been nice if..."
dont jump on me please, i know how easy it is to offend people here and thats not my intention.
i'm practically done but just thinking about the others that will buy the great gdiy/51x stuff in the future.. the sprawling threads are getting bigger still! :)

Well good point, i had that impression at first BUT I think the people in the Alliance spend some time to make this possible, and since this forum is a DIY forum, getting Building manuals standard specifications, Power consumption etc... would have taken that project away from DIY, and that was pointed out a couple of times.
Getting all the right infos together is a little bit of an adventure, true, but it's meant to be because we love that don't we ;D, because the more you search the better the knowledge.
Anyway, build the PSU referring to Volker's BOM, and Schematic, add Heatsinks and there you go, a working PSU that will nicely feed your modules.

Back