official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying to get some ideas.

Mount the heatsink outside of the chassis.

Drill holes instead of slots. Use something with a repeating pattern for a template, like a shelf pin template or a piece of expanded metal and use a self centering drill bit.

hello!
here are some picture of my PSU, i built it 2 years ago and mainly use it on tour (FOH),
everythings works perfectly! never had any problem!
for now it feeds 6 LAZ EQN, 2 VP25, and soon 2 LAZ LA2A...
thank you for this great project!!!

PSU_front.jpg

PSU_Back.jpg

PSU_51X_inside.JPG

Congrats Adrian,

Blue like mine! ;D
Is that a Modushop pierced inner base/case?
I really like the small depth of it,was thinking about building another more tourstyle one too.
Well done!

Cheers,

Udo.

yes, I had to do a slim PSU to instal it on the back side of my rack,
it permit me to save space enough, so i could put 2 dual W493 eq on the front... ;D

and you're right! it's a modushop case, but i cut it to be slimmer than the regular size...
for the front pannel I used Offset plates (printing plates) that i inked (with blue ink), varnished (9 layers!) , glued on the aluminium plate, and then drilled...  a very long process....

adrian said:
and you're right! it's a modushop case, but i cut it to be slimmer than the regular size...
for the front pannel I used Offset plates (printing plates) that i inked (with blue ink), varnished (9 layers!) , glued on the aluminium plate, and then drilled...  a very long process....
Holy Sh.....,that´s a lot of work,but very nice when it works out like this!

Congrats again,

cheers,

Udo ;)

yours is very nice!
it's a big great mama! built like a Tank and I like it!!! :D

what kind of equipment are you feeding with? (there must be a lot of things!!!)

adrian said:
yours is very nice!
it's a big great mama! built like a Tank and I like it!!! :D

what kind of equipment are you feeding with? (there must be a lot of things!!!)
Thanks for the kind words Adrian,

it´s built as an apocalyptic precaution,hahahaha......
I just jumped on the 51x-train,so right now it´s just 2 VP28s,2 "Lovechild"-EQs and 2 LA500 Compressors from JLM.
More in the next few weeks to come (2 F76 from Igor and-hopefully soon available again-2 500 series Pultecs from Don).
A second rack is already done.And I´m safe do build a lot more without the need to cary of going short of module slots or current.
For a pic see my reply #36 here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48610.20

Cheers,

Udo.

Many Thanks to Jeff, Tom and Cemel.

I finally have a racked PSU up and running.  Made from extra parts laying around from their benches.  I have to adjust the trimmers to set the correct voltages with no load on the PSU.  Once that is done I have to decide what to do for cooling.  I will probably drills holes above the heatsink. I don't think I will need them below the heat sink as the heat sink sits right on the bottom with 4 screws.  So the heat should transfer right to the bottom if there is any.  I think the heat sink is way over kill anyways, hahahha. Now I need to save for some modules, ahahha.  I think audio bacon will be my first. 

Jeff had all the AC, LED / DC wiring done when I got the prototype case.  I populated the PCB and installed the heat sink.  How are we looking?

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    445 KB · Views: 49
adrian said:
hello!
here are some picture of my PSU, i built it 2 years ago and mainly use it on tour (FOH),
everythings works perfectly! never had any problem!
for now it feeds 6 LAZ EQN, 2 VP25, and soon 2 LAZ LA2A...
thank you for this great project!!!

LAZ LA2A?????  do you mean the LA3A peter designed?

Ok adjusted the trim pots but had an issue with the 24 rails.  I can only get the vdc to go to -26.85 and +26.95.  Both 24 rails will not go the no load rating of 27.4.  I ran out of room on the trim pots cause they are clicking now when i turn them.  I guess I am at the max on each rail.  Will this suffice or should I do something else.

-Scott

saxmonster said:
Ok adjusted the trim pots but had an issue with the 24 rails.  I can only get the vdc to go to -26.85 and +26.95.  Both 24 rails will not go the no load rating of 27.4.  I ran out of room on the trim pots cause they are clicking now when i turn them.  I guess I am at the max on each rail.  Will this suffice or should I do something else.

-Scott
Hi Scott,

First check the trafos secondaries for 24 vac both as it seems to be the same on both rails.
If that is o.k. Have a look at the schematics for the adjust resistors on the regulators.
They should be as follwos:positive rail r11=3,9k,negative rail r21=3,9k.Both trim pots should be 1k.

Hope to have helped,

Udo.

Those
saxmonster said:

-Scott
Scott, those numbers are the unload secondary of the toroid itself so they are AC. They are a spec of the toroid and should not come into play with the calibration of your rectified DC rails. I would set the 16V rails to around +16.7V and -16.7V. Set the 24 volt rails to +24.7V and -24.7V. You can go around +48.2 or so for the 48V rail. The full load sag of the main power rails will only be around 200mV at the max. That is with an absolute worst case full load of both 500 and 51x modules, which will most likely never happen.

Best, Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I though it seemed a little weird to change the values this much.  Ok I will adjust the trimmer to these settings, thanks again for everything.

-Scott

Thanks Udo,  everything is back to normal, ahahahha.

Just need some modules now,hahahah

Anyone in NJ want to loan me one, hahahahhah.

-Scott

Back