official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have finished my dual psu.Thanks to Volker for your great support,Frank @nrg for the frontpanel and all of you guys who helped so much ;)

profilly.jpg

insidefront1.jpg

inside2py.jpg

Cheers,

Udo.

Wow Udo...that is one of the nicest 51x PSU builds I have seen.  :D

Would love to see those pics bigger!  ;)

She's a beaut!  8)

sahib said:
Booooo. Rubbish. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joke of course.

Great stuff. Weldone.
Hmmmmm.....I really wanted to wait for your upcoming psu(s),but I had to build one now because I want to get some stuff ready for live use in late summer/early fall.And it works fine ,no issues!

Cheers,

Udo :)

kante1603 said:
Hmmmmm.....I really wanted to wait for your upcoming psu(s),but I had to build one now because I want to get some stuff ready for live use in late summer/early fall.And it works fine ,no issues!

Cheers,

Udo :)

No problem Udo. You've done a great work. Very solid and certainly touring stuff.

Cemal

Hopefully a bit of inspiration for others!

Just a post to congratulate Volker, Cemal & anyone else involved in the PSU project. It was easily one of the most well thought-out & organized projects I've ever done. I ordered the kits, put it all together, turned it on and everything worked. Even the trimmers weren't more than half a volt out of tolerance!

Very well done guys!!!

Kind regards,
Frank

Attachments

• 51XPSU.jpg
    51XPSU.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 77
Thank you for your comments Frank. Jeff also had  some spice in that soup.

I could have also supplied Blue LEDs if you asked me ,but great stuff. Welldone.

Just looking for some thoughts.

I am getting into the 51x modules, so I have bought a 511 rack from a member on here who has gone down a different path.  That should be here this week. 

I was thinking about keeping the 511 rack and psu in an skb case so its portable and easy to carry around to friends and family project studios and what not.

My question is.  I know it will take a while to build and or acquire modules but are there any of the original psu cases and psu components left so that I can rack mount the psu with the rack in the skb case.  Was also wondering if it is possible to add a second 7pin rack connector to the original psu so I can power two 511 racks as long as I don't go over 11 16vdc and 11 24vdc modules.  Or can I use the new floor psu componets inside and original psu case to get the two 7 pin connectors for two seperate 511 racks as long as i dont go over the 11 modules of each rail.

Just try to see what my options are and my ducks in a row.
Thanks
Scott

Firstly if you are in US/Canada you will be dealing with Jeff. If you are in any of the EC countries Volker will serve you. If you are in UK and the rest of the World I am your man.

You can certainly use the board for the floor psu in a rack case but we have a seperate regulator board for rack case as you may have seen in the pictures in the previous posts. I suggest you use that.

Nothing stops you from doing all the other things like second ouput connector.

If you are looking for a rack type psu case we do not have any left but I can always run a small batch of 5.

Cemal,
Do you have any of the big heat sinks left.  Jeff has an old rack case but I will need the heat-sinks as he just attached the regs to the case itself. 

Thanks
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately they have all been used on the last small batch. But I have two sets of the ones in the below picture that I was inititally thinking of using but due to cost we abandoned. They are all drilled and tapped to align perfectly with the rack case fit board (again as in the picture).

psu51x_02.jpg

Cemal,

Ok they actually look beefier than the original ones right?  Do they include the silver metal L brackets as in the photo. 

Will I be able to attach the black heat sinks to the bottom of the prototype rack case with the two DC outs that I am getting from Jeff? 

I just don't want them to move around and flex the pcb board.  Will these keep the regs cool if and when I run two full racks of 11 16vdc modules and 11 24vdc modules?  Are screws included?

Thanks for you time,
-Scott

PM me on shipping to NJ in USA Just waiting word from Jeff on the proto case.

saxmonster said:
Cemal,
Do you have any of the big heat sinks left.  Jeff has an old rack case but I will need the heat-sinks as he just attached the regs to the case itself. 

Thanks
-Scott

I have four large heatsinks, drilled and tapped for four 4-40 screws to hold the regs. They should fit nicely in a 2u case. I went another direction and never used them, so if anyone needs them, just drop me a PM.

Hey Scott,

They include the silver L brackets and are tapped at the bottom to be fixed to the case.

However, Denyl seems to have a similar one and I think it makes sense to get them. Knowing his work I am sure they are just as good as mine.

Regards.

Ok Guys,

I got my proto rack psu case and parts today, wow everything was packed great and looks great Jeff, thanks so much.

Just wondering now.  The proto case has no vent holes in it. 

Since I will be using one of Denyle's heat sinks how important are the vents, I mean I know what they do but If I have two racks running the psu at full power will the vents be needed? 11 modules at 16vdc and 11 modules at 24vdc.  I am missing the vent over the transformer and above and below the heatsink area.

If I were to make my own vent what would be the best way.  I have a dremel but that might take a long time or I have a radial arm saw that I could lower on the metal to make slits but I would need a special blade I guess.

Just trying to get some ideas.

-Scott

Back