official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually in my case no..Most of the transformers i have used reference the voltage from winding to centerap, ie: a 24v centertap would be 2 24v windings..
This transformer has 2 windings of 18v apiece. I initially tried splitting with 2 windings on the 2 16v ac rails, with the centertap jumped to the 'low' of each. Didn't make the transformer too happy. I could definitely just use one winding of each, but even with the transformers being free, it seems so wasteful
Thoughts?

the psu design is pretty extensive and a good job. I would rather stick with this than perfing together a 5 rail supply. Would using 1/2 the windings be the only way to make the supply work with this transformer? I could do that for now and still have 1A per rail on the 16V line..That would be fine for the time being. Right now i have a lunchbox that will be replaced by the GDIY that has 4 pres (512 style) and 2 eqs(550/560)
I figured i would cobble it together until we came up with a good N. American toroid that was wound for the job

JamesW said:
HI All

I just received a custom toroidal from http://www.sumr.com/ for this PSU. Richard Summer is a Canadian supplier that ships world wide.

Prim 115v x 2
1sec 48v @ 0.5a
2sec 24v x 2 @ 2a
3sec 16v x 2 @ 3a

core band and epoxy centre.
$101.00 CDN.

He shipped in about one week

This supplier is just North of America

indeed. i didn't see the Canadian supplier, and should have said US..reminds me of a story trying to cross into Canada with only a drivers license. The border guard was so incensed with our ignorance that he berated us for about 30 minutes, finally exasperatingly saying "what do you think this is, the 52nd state?". We thought about that all the way to Buffalo.
I'll have to save some pennies for the transformer.
In the meantime would it be best to use the one winding, assuming it was a temp solution?

hello!
i got a jlm audio powerkit at home: http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Power%20Supply.htm (2 rails from +-2 to +- 37v and +48v.
is it in general possible to use this power supply for the GDIY51? howmany rails can be done with that kit?
it got 1amp per +- rail and 300ma for the 48v. is that enough for lets say 6 500 rails?
thanks for your help!

Hi henryb, welcome to this forum.

the power station has all rails needed - fine for (limited) 51X use.
the AC/DC has two rails - fine for (limited?) 500 use.
how many modules depends on your PSU transformer, and the modules you want to use.
5 rails from two secondaries will be tough: the +/- 16V regulators will heat up very much.

even with the 51X PSU you need to have major cooling / heatsinks for maximum specs.

thanks for your reply!
i thougt of a small power supply that runs up to 6 rails and that is fitted in the 19" case (as it is in the api lunchbox. i am a live engineer and would like to save space and weigt. might be a stupid thougt ( typical newbie thinking i guess)
henryb

even with the 51X PSU you need to have major cooling / heatsinks for maximum specs.

BTW Volker, i wanted to use my Modushop case as heatsink, but is there any other more efficient method you've encountered? besides the one that were proposed on forum for the PSU, Cemal's if i remember....

zayance said:

BTW Volker, i wanted to use my Modushop case as heatsink, but is there any other more efficient method you've encountered? besides the one that were proposed on forum for the PSU, Cemal's if i remember....

Cemal and Jeff have done / are doing some tests at the moment.
I have been working on other things in the meantime :eek:
fact is: running under a full load it gets quite hot (like JDBacker mentioned before)
haven't had the time to build / test my personal dual PSU, where I want to use this Modushop case.

another fact is: I'm still sure a "normal" loaded rack will run fine with my PSU PCB in a normal case with "case cooling",
next fact is Cemal wants to get out the best solution out of his PSU Rack since he wants it perfect, and it will have the GroupDIY 51X Alliance logo on it  ;)

;)

Yes those dissipante case i think will do the job  :) and they look great, and that makes me think actually of Cemal's choice, so maybe i'll have to check what i can find out there, and maybe put the heatsink inside the case and not use the case, well i'm still not on full load but don't want to know when i'm there  :D thanks Volker.

zayance said:
... well i'm still not on full load but don't want to know when i'm there ...
well, I have worked on full load the last few months, I can't recommend it.
two full time jobs and a family in my age are too much - I'm getting old ;D ;D ;D
however, the "hot job" is done now, settling down a little bit, and then back to DIY :eek:

I believe that Cemal is working on a special extrusion that will mount to the case bottom and have the 4 reg's mounted flat, or parallel to the PCB. Under full load, things heat up rather nicely!

My first solution was reg's mounted to bottom of the case. Under full load, I don't think this is sufficient. Cemal found the same thing which is what lead him to the extrusion.

Maybe he can post some pics for us?

BTW, welcome back Volker!  ;D 8)

Regards, Jeff

Will there be an updated version of this power supply that will provide enough juice for two full 51x racks?
If I'm not mistaken, one would need two of the current PSU boards to power up two racks, even with the LM350s due to thermal dissipation limit. What about a version using LT1084CP in the future?

Just thinking out loud......

Mike

I really don't have the rack space to mount the 51x PSU. So therefore I don't want to spend $100-$200 for a rack mount case.
I plan on putting it on the floor or mount it in the back of the studio rack.
Reading about the cooling issues, would it be safe to put it in a large project box?
Any suggestions?

Hi All

This supply is ready for second rack. The case is Hammond steel 17x10x2 cheap and can have a rack ears added later. The cooling is 2x2x1/8 aluminum angle bolted to the case side. We filled 11 slots and ran signal with no real heat or voltage drop. I think we may find the 24v rails could be used for more 16v supply if you have no need the 24v

Attachments

• P1020655.jpg
    P1020655.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 415
That looks great.
You just jumpered the transformer outs from one board to the other.
Where did you get the tranformer. It doesn't look like the one I got from Cemal.
What's the rating?
I like to compare it to mine to see if I could do the same thing with mine?

Latest posts

Back