Opinion on womens style

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thermionic said:
What does that make me? Am I a shallow, materialist?

A shopoholic?

As for not wanna be seen accompanied by the five fingers, that's just common decency. ;)

I'm going to wear the Five Fingers clubbing one day. I'm sure I'll get plenty of compliments. That'll show you :-0

J

chicks dig 'em, I tell you:
TOES2_450x400.jpg

those things look ridiculous but I can't help but be intrigued how they work running around. Would expect them pretty hard on the knees as there doesn't seem to be any damping. I guess they are not meant for long distance running.

Research going back to the 70s (plotted manually on graph paper) concurs with the recent study published by Harvard Uni, showing that a 'barefoot' running style puts around 4x less loading on the joints over the initial strike impact transient than 'heel striking' (why modern shoes have cushioned heels).

If you run correctly, i.e. landing where the human body is designed to land, on the balls of the feet, with slight knee flexion, there's very little loading on the knees at all. The whole point in Five Fingers is that they have enough protection to stop you getting cuts from glass / stones etc, but you run in a barefoot style. If you land on your heels, which by default creates a braking force, over-extending the leg, then you will get knee problems. All runners can get ITB issues, but so can cyclists and anyone involved in repetitive leg exercise.

What do you think's a more sophisticated shock absorption system: a cushioned shoe, brewed up in R+D and developed over 30 years, or the human body, developed over millions of years?

Anyway - back on topic. I've found there's no proportional rule regarding women and their clothes / accessories. I think the 'shallow' remark directed at the thread starter was not only inaccurate, but untrue and somewhat immature, if I am honest.  

J

edit - I'd rather chat about biomechanics than women's choice in clothing anyday. If anyone wants to start a thread, I'm there :)

sahib said:
I wouldn't be seen dead in those things. Sorry. I'd rather scorch my feet in my brown suede shoes.

But they have kevlar outer soles. Doesn't that appeal to the engineer in you? Don't tell me you're shallow and materialistic as well  ;D Prancing around the workshop in your Dior trainers  :D

thermionic said:
Anyway - back on topic. I've found there's no proportional rule regarding women and their clothes / accessories. I think the 'shallow' remark directed at the thread starter was not only inaccurate, but untrue and somewhat immature, if I am honest.

What rubbed me the wrong way (and kingston I assume) is that it's such a fucking cliche, and frankly I'd be insulted if my spouse expected me to play along with such a game. I'd be "uh uh, no you didn't sistah" like there was no tomorrow.

1781538_o.gif

thermionic said:
But they have kevlar outer soles. Doesn't that appeal to the engineer in you? Don't tell me you're shallow and materialistic as well  ;D Prancing around the workshop in your Dior trainers  :D

Well. I was about to post my video-clip at the workshop for you but seems Eskimo did it for me.  ;D Those were the days when I was thin. But I sacked the cameraman after that as my Diors are totally obscured.

See, that's the attitude that fuels the meme.

What's not to understand? Give people enough time and they fetishize whatever, be it shoes or vintage audio transformers. Pretty simple.
The former is big business and not niched, so media will play that like crazy, thus making it norm.

Kingston said:
Oh that old stereotype. Find someone who isn't a shallow materialistic bitch and you won't have these problems.

Spoken like a single man.

My wife is hardly materialistic or shallow.  Yet I can never share the right opinion when asked.  Women have knack for reading too deep into things.  Like so...

Wife:  "Do you think I should wear the red heels or the black boots?"
Husband:  "I say the black boots."
Wife:  "Oh, so you think I'm fat and should cover myself up so people don't see what you're ashamed of?"
Husband:  "Actually, I said the black boots because there's 15 inches of snow on the ground and it's freezing outside."
Wife:  "Oh so you're saying I'm cold hearted and incapable of feeling?"
Husband:  "Yes.  That's exactly what myself and the weather channel were implying.  Now put something on your feet.  We're going to be late."

That's not reading too deep. That's not knowing each other in the first place. Don't you guys ever talk about life and things? Or perhaps your wife is fifteen. I remember dramatic stuff like that from when I was a kid.

All that sounds a bit shallow still, playing those stereotype TV husband and wife roles. Maybe it's more an American thing. I just don't get it if you're basically spending the rest of your lives together and you have to act out these weird plays.

PS. Not single. Not for a very very long time.

Kingston said:
..... Don't you guys ever talk about life and things? Or perhaps your wife is fifteen. ...

No. She is fifty and so am I.

We argue over life. Like... Who's gonna go first  ;D

Soooo,
Let me get this right Kingston; First you call my wife all these things. Then you say it
must be a mediteranian thing and that somehow they are better in this
respect in your part of the world. Then, it must be an American thing ... (stereotyping?)
Now you are making assumptions about the age of people, to put it politely.

With all due respect, seems to me like you've been watching a little too much TV.
I think people are different everywhere and at various times in their life depending on the context and situation.
How can you define what is shallow and materialistic (I'll ignore the other decorative description) and where do you
draw the line. You could well be described in those terms from someone who is in a much more deprived and difficult
situation if you want to get serious about it. Try and think about it next time you turn that key in the ignition.

The same way we have our tubes and trannies that we love and care about, others might feel strongly on different
things from shoes to volenteering work for charity (as is the case with my other half btw).

I wouldn't change her for anything in the world - or in any way for that matter.
I'm not so perfect myself you know..  ;)

thermionic said:
I'm going to wear the Five Fingers clubbing one day. I'm sure I'll get plenty of compliments. That'll show you :-0

J

chicks dig 'em, I tell you:
TOES2_450x400.jpg

with all respect for you: not in Italy, Italians will get it very very badly, these shoes are very very very very very very far from the Italian fashion........................... :D

I joke........

eskimo said:
What rubbed me the wrong way (and kingston I assume) is that it's such a F*cking cliche, and frankly I'd be insulted if my spouse expected me to play along with such a game.
I'd be "uh uh, no you didn't sistah" like there was no tomorrow.

Or what?
Don't worry I'm sure she'll take care of you appropriately.

Cliche or not, what MikoKensington desrcibed in-jest from Detroit, is so simillar
to what happened thousands of miles away here in Athens, to put a smile back on my face.
Frighteningly simillar infact.

I just hope she doesn't find this thread otherwise its bye-bye my good DIY friends!

Thanks for all the replies.

eskimo said:
thermionic said:

What rubbed me the wrong way (and kingston I assume) is that it's such a F*cking cliche, and frankly I'd be insulted if my spouse expected me to play along with such a game. I'd be "uh uh, no you didn't sistah" like there was no tomorrow.

1781538_o.gif

............this man is ok for the italian beaches  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

what does his wife think of his style?  :eek:

1781538_o.gif

this is the right example for us.

Now I understand, this man, when his wife asks him for advice on something, as as a dress or shoes, or an hat, or a purse
, to give the most accurate replay to his wife, wears this thing.

Mates, this is the right example.  ;D ;D

Back